Thread: Primal Pros, I need help. page

supertradertim is offline Junior Member

Primal Pros, I need help.

Primal Fuel
    I have been primal for about 4 months. I have lost about 25 pounds (sugar belly). I am a 49 year old male, I weigh 153 pounds and I am 5 foot 11 inches tall. I have a flat stomach now and I am loving it. I am taking three or four of Mark's Damage Control Vitamins a day, one of his fish oil pills , a D3, and I average somewhere around 1600 calories a day with about the right ratio of fat, carbs, etc. Weight is pretty stable now. I eat big salads with Romaine lettuce, Grass fed organic steaks,eggs, bacon, and Alaskan Sockeye salmon. I even eat wild buffalo from the Great Plains. I got sick a couple a days ago. a severe sore throat and a high fever. Started taking Amoxicillin, about 10 damage control pills, and 1500mg vitamin C.
    Oh, just before this I had started taking Ubiquinol 50 mg which gave me more energy than I think a person should have. Kinda scary. Anyway when my fever broke I had severe throbbing pain in the back and side of my head. When I went to work, people started asking if I had a stroke and the boss sent me to a doctor. I didn't realize it at the time but when I smiled only one side of my mouth came up. The doc said that I have Bell's Palsy. My face is paralyzed on the left side. I cannot close my left eye and my left ear is very sensitive. The doc says I have extensive nerve damage and it will heal at it's own rate. Anyway I wanted to look good for my 50th birthday in a couple of weeks. I will still be smiling, or half smiling. I just wonder if I could have done anything differently or exactly what happened. I go back to the doc tomorrow, will have blood results. I had a physical about a year ago. I have no high blood pressure, the only thing he didn't like was total cholesterol was 202... the same as when I was 16. He wanted me on a low fat diet. I am very happy with primal....just wonder if I did something wrong.

Paleobird Guest
    Your diet sounds great. It could be that you had an adverse reaction to the antibiotic. Another possibility is that you ODed on the supplements a bit. Those Damage Control pills are very strong, very concentrated, and should not be popped like candy. IIRC Ubiquinol is a CoQ10. If it gave you "more energy than a person should have" and was "kinda scary", that means that you either were overdoing the dose or were having a reaction to it. Also you need to check with a doctor before mixing prescriptions and supplements in your body. Some can cross react and amplify one another.

What I would advocate now is just the excellent healthy diet you are already on and let your system clean out from all the other substances for a while. If you are eating healthy, you really don't need all that other stuff anyway.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry to hear you have been ill. I doubt there is anything that you could have done. Bell's palsy is usually considered to be caused by a viral infection and even the healthiest person out there can get taken down by a virus. Sometimes when the immune system sees a virus the reaction that is set off can be hard to bring back under control.

Make sure you a getting plenty of B vitamins to help your nerves repair.

Good luck in your recovery. I'm sure being primal will help you heal faster than if you were in poor health.

supertradertim is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Paleobird, I am eating a grassfed buffalo burger now...minus the bun of course.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    My friend had Bell's palsy when we were in our mid 30s. It was completely cured via acupuncture (and possibly? Chinese herbs). She has no sequelae now. Good luck!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    My friend had Bell's palsy when we were in our mid 30s. It was completely cured via acupuncture (and possibly? Chinese herbs). She has no sequelae now. Good luck!
    I second the acupuncture.