Thread: Another Newbie Query ... page

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member

Another Newbie Query ...

Shop Now
    So in tracking my consumption today, I currently stand at 74.6 carbs. Thing is, 57+ of them comes from watermelon I have consumed today. So the question is: is there any difference in carbs from fruit and carbs from processed food/grains, etc? Or are carbs counted as bad, no matter the source?

Thanks!!
    Bama

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Are you looking to lose weight? If so, its best to avoid all fruit. Watermelon has a high GI(glycemic index) meaning its high in sugar. Fructose is the sugar that comes from fruit and sugar/carbs are what causes us to get fat. Drop the melon and give me 20!
    Georgette

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaphotopro View Post
    Thing is, 57+ of them comes from watermelon I have consumed today. So the question is: is there any difference in carbs from fruit and carbs from processed food/grains, etc? Or are carbs counted as bad, no matter the source?
    Yes, carbs break down into glucose, fructose or fiber. Starch is just a chain of glucose molecules. Other than it takes a little longer to absorb, starch is the same as glucose as far as your body is concerned. Sugar (sucrose) is a glucose and a fructose stuck together in equal amounts.

Fructose can only be processed by your liver. I heard a suggestion to keep fructose to less than 15 grams a day. Watermelon is nearly pure fructose. So 57g of fructose from the watermelon can be a big load for your liver.

Carbs aren't bad. For example, they help you preferentially absorb tryptophan, and they make up the bulk of the glycogen stored in your liver. You need them if you're doing high intensity exercises. If you're a normal person, you don't need more than 100-150g per day. Some athletes can eat more than that and be okay.

The main thing is: eat around 100-150g of carbohydrates a day to maintain your weight, and 50-100g per day to lose weight. If you're an endurance athlete, you'll probably need to bump that up a bit. Make sure they come from vegetables and fruits. 2-3 pieces of fruit a day is okay. Having a whole watermelon every day isn't such a great idea. It's really not worth stressing about too much. Just aim for berries instead of bananas and eat vegetables and sweet potatoes and regular potatoes if you want or need the starch.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    How much watermelon did you eat? For example, 1 cup of watermelon balls (you know, scooped out w/ a melon baller) is about 11g carbs. So you basically ate 5 cups of watermelon? (I'm sure its possible--watermelon can go down easily as it is soooo watery. )

There is a huge difference between processed food carbs, grain carbs, and 'real food' carbs from veggies and fruit. Carbs are not inherently bad at all. But here is an MDA post on why grains are unhealthy.

Check this for Mark's carbohydrate curve, and this for more on fruit.

HTH!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. And yes, I estimated 5 cups of watermelon. Being a Bama boy, I do love it so. But looks as if I need to swear off fruit in general until I get my weight under control. I've got 20 pounds to go, so perhaps by next growing season I can enjoy this blessed fruit again. :-)

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    If you only have 20 to go I would def cut the high-sugar fruits to make sure you don't stall your weightloss.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaphotopro View Post
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. And yes, I estimated 5 cups of watermelon. Being a Bama boy, I do love it so. But looks as if I need to swear off fruit in general until I get my weight under control. I've got 20 pounds to go, so perhaps by next growing season I can enjoy this blessed fruit again. :-)
    Some of us lose weight fine staying in the recommend weight loss range of 50-100g, even if some of those carbs are coming from fruit, fwiw.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco