Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How strict do you have to be? page

AverageJoe is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hi All,

I am going to re-start PB in the new year. I am wondering from everyone's experience how strict you have to be for PB to work. I know the more strict you are the better your results will be, but currently I have not been doing good sticking to the PB.

For example, if you have 1 cheat day a week will the PB still work? I am guessing that it will not. Also, if I do not track my carbs and I am over the 100 carb limit then again PB will not work. My thinking is that if i do not track my carbs and if i do not keep my body in Ketosis then my random PB days will be useless. I am just trying to be realistic going into this and do not want to set myself up for any more failures.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

It really depends on what you want to get out of PB. Is your goal fat loss? Overall better health? Longevity? What aspects of the PB do you find difficult to adhere to?

I want it all, I need to lose probably 50lbs, want to live healthy and be able to teach my future kids the correct way to live/eat. I find the eating difficult to adhere to. The keeping track of the carbs and eating no grains. I usually do ok for few days, but then slip up. So my body never gets into Ketosis b/c I slip up or eat to many carbs.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Are you in control of what's in your cupboards at home? Or, are you in a situation of sharing your kitchen with a non-primal person? For me, the best way to adhere to the PB is have absolutely nothing available that isn't primal. Same at work, where I generally buy my food at the store close by, keep it in the work fridge, and simply don't allow myself to eat anything else. For me, it was cold turkey on the carbs, although others here found it easier to ease into it.

DepRatlAnimal Guest

It sounds like you mean "weight loss"? From reading people's posts, it sounds like the majority of people lose weight the easiest by sticking close to 50gof carbs/day or under. From my experience, being "strict," even avoiding artificial sweeteners most of the time, has been essential b/c it has really reset my taste buds and body chemistry. Fruit tastes much sweeter than it ever did - I don't think I could handle a SAD dessert. The aromas from fast food places smell disgusting now... And I don't need to eat nearly as often, b/c those hypoglycemic shakes are a thing of the past. BUT I don't think of this as being "strict" - I think of it as changing my perspective on what's normal for a human body to eat!

That said, I've had random days closer to 100g carbs, and have still lost weight. They've been carbs from fruits and veggies, a little dairy, not grains or processed sugars. This matters to my taste buds and mental state of determination HTH.

DepRatlAnimal Guest

Would it help if you planned your meals in advance? Worked in more of your old favorites, "primalized"? I eat many things I always have, except with slightly healthier ingredients and no starch. Like pizza stack-ups, with my favorite veggies on bottom, some organic no-sugar-added pizza sauce, chicken and no-preservative pepperoni, some full-fat mozzarella on top...

kjake55 Guest

If you follow the basics: meat, eggs, veggies, some fruit (stick to seasonal fruit and berries) and limited nuts/seeds/nut butters you can keep your carbs pretty low without a lot of tracking or counting. I'm not trying to lose but I've successfully maintained a major weight loss for over 1 year now without monitoring every morsel.

As far as how strict. Well that's up to you. I whole heartedly believe in the 80-20 principal that Mark talks about and don't consider any day a "cheat" day. Some days I am simply more primal than others.

But in your case it doesn't sound like you can't stick to it, it sounds like your fighting an addiction to sugar (which we all have to some degree). I think if you maybe approached the sugar/carbs thing as a drug that has to be combatted as opposed to an eating choice that you give into easily you may be in a better frame of mind not to partake in the "no-no" stuff. Anyway, just my opnion but I hope it helps. Keep fighting the good fight...you're future kids will reap big rewards from a healthy daddy!

FairyRae2 Guest

I think anything you can do to move towards pb will be helpful/beneficial to health--even if you do have a cheat day every week. It won't be *as* effective, but if it's have a cheat day and do pb the rest of the week or just go back to eating SAD, I'd say go for the one that keeps you closer to eating primally. I'd also say, if you do have a cheat day, stick to REAL food--not factory processed junk or fast food, etc...

I don't know how this would impact weight loss, but I think it could only be helpful to eat moree primally as often as possible when it comes to health...

g2baker is offline Member

I am totally strict and loving it. I think the high that I get from seeing my body change before eyes on a daily basis is far better than any sugar high I would get from any carbs. I've learned so much about my body within doing PB for 3 months. I've lost 2 inches from my waist, 1 inch from my thighs, neck and biceps. I use to leg press 120 lbs, now I can lift 300 (and I'm female). I think depending on what kind of results you want to see will determine how strict you will be. Oh, I also IF every third day. The benefit of being really strict is there are no cravings what so ever.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sharonll- It is just my wife and I but I do not have control of all of the food in the kitchen. So there will be the non primal foods in the house. I want to have the will power to say no. I think I need to have some kind of avoidance mechanism. So whenever I want to eat bad I have someone punch me in the stomach or something. lol

DepRatlAnimal- I think not planning out my meals and making them in advance is one of my biggest issues. We end up coming home from work and just eating something quick, which usually is not good. If I have a craving for something I need to learn how to make the PB alternative.

FairyRae2- I agree that eating PB on some days and having a cheat day is better than not eating PB at all. I think i just get frustrated b/c i slip up and then don't see the results. I need to train myself like a dog. I need find a way to do something negative when i slip up so that i do not want to slip up again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast