Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How strict do you have to be? page 3

kjake55 Guest

Carbs or no carbs - no one ever got fat eating a pear! As I said...some seasonal fruit and berries. The point is if you want something sweet then better to eat an apple than an apple turnover!

P.S. working out helps to. You didn't mention if you're physically active or not.

krisssi Guest

Even though going very low carb may be the "ultimate way" for fast weight loss, he'll probably still go a long way by just cutting out grains, sugar and dairy.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

BEWARE the dried fruit. While eating a pear might satisfy your fruit craving, who ever stopped at 1 dried apricot? A dried apricot has all the sugar/carbs of an entire not-dried one, so when you eat a small handful you're eating the sugar of 5-6 pieces of full-sized fruit. Dried fruit is definitely not a dieter's friend.

And about that punch in the stomach when you cheat? If you are really strict for maybe 3 weeks... you will get the punch in your stomach for cheating. Most of us here have experienced it. We'll "slip" and have an old favorite or have something to be polite or whatnot, and boy... the gastrointestinal distress sure is a punch in the stomach! Once your body gets used to being grain-free and you're used to the steady energy offered by fat-energy versus carb-energy, eating grains and foods that spike your insulin will leave you feeling like you've been pummeled into the ground.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Personally, I have to be VERY strict. Give me an inch and I'll take a mile. I don't cheat because I know when I do, I'll have to fight myself to stop cheating. (Like right now after allowing Christmas treats.) I'm pretty much down to frozen meat and eggs in the house, outside of some canned foods. I had to take the chocolates and other food gifts to work so that I couldn't have access to them. I think if I can get through tonight, I'll be ok. I have the worst urge right now to break into the apples I canned.

Stupid Christmas treats. *sigh*

James17 Guest

Hey! From my experiences it's a lot easier to go all out. I find that if I give myself a cheat day I find it a lot easier to allow myself more and more cheat food. So having none means there's no margin to expand upon. I really enjoy eating primally now, anyway. It's not a task, it's a pleasure. Even cooking the food is very enjoyable!

If it was me, I'd go all out and stick with it. It will grow on you!

Good luck!

AverageJoe is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all replies.

Here is my plan.

I am going to try and be as strict as possible with what I eat. If I do slip up then I will just try and forget about it and stay strict instead of just binge eating. I am not going to count carbs right now i am just going to start with eating right and then after a couple weeks start counting carbs. I do work out at least once a week, but i am going to try and be consistent with working out at least 3 times a week. I will also try and read a little of the PB everyday or go online to read posts on here to stay focused on the task at hand. I will start a post in the 30 day challenge section and track my progress. Thanks let me know if you think i am missing anything major.

kjake55 Guest

It sounds like a good plan, especially the part about not letting 1 slip derail your entire process. Just get back to it instead of punishing yourself. Hey, we're all only human and slip ups happen.

The working out goal is also a good one. I don't know your definition of working out (it varies from person to person) but once again don't try the all-or-nothing approach. If you don't have time to work out don't sweat it (no pun intended). Just try to make time the next day. Maybe take a walk after dinner or before lunch or something that fits your life style.

I have found through personal experience that the biggest reason for failure is by settimg goals that are unrealistic based on **current circumstances** If your ultimate goal is to be healthy then you need to eat cleanly and work out but don't try to reinvent yourself all at once. A little change once a week is way more sustainable than trying to change everything all at once. Our body and minds just don't process all or nothing changes and will inevitably fall back on what they know. All the best in your health journey!

g2baker is offline Member

Good Luck AJ, It seems so hard and daunting to be strict but in reality its the easiest thing for you. Your body will stabilize, energy levels will level out, you will have more energy, most importantly cavings are not even an issue. I would also suggest reading and re-reading the articles Mark has written on how bad grains are for you. Read is book and rent Food Inc and Fast Food Nation. There are some great videos on YouTube as well by FatHeadMovie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEaI_8pXW_c

Another good one (short and sweet ha ha pun intended):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4&feature=fvw

There are some videos too from Michael Pollan which are really good to. Just keep educating your self, you'll never want to eat wheat or corn for that matter again! I find exercise to completely distract me from food, but like kjake55 states, you can easily set yourself up for failure based on setting goals that are unrealistic if not based on current circumstances. Love to hear how you are doing, have you started a journal.

AverageJoe is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for the links.

I have just created my journal thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123