Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How strict do you have to be? page 2

krisssi Guest

Primal Fuel

For me it's an all-or-nothing approach. I have a very addictive personality and I know if I would allow myself some candy or pizza or whatever then I'd start doing it more often.

I used to have a cheat day on fridays, and then I'd sometimes eat an entire pizza, some ice cream and chocolate, maybe 5000cal in one evening, ruining a weeks worth of dieting in a few hours.

If occasional cheating isn't working for you, then maybe you should try being more strict about it and never cheat unless the social circumstances demand it. I find that reading something every day about food and health keeps me motivated.

And you don't need to be in ketosis to lose weight! It might work faster, but it is definitely not necessary. I recommend following the primal blueprint recommendation for easy weight loss which is 50-100grams carb per day.

Griff is offline Senior Member

AverageJoe: Read about what the non-primal food does to your body. It will sicken you; I know it did me. Read the PB, read Protein Power, read Atkins, read the sites that take our so-called "food" and deconstruct it to tell you about lectins, insulin resistance and so forth. I no longer want those foods; in fact, I'm actively disgusted by them.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Luckykoi is offline Junior Member

Griff makes a REALLY great point.

For me, realizing what the food does to my insulin and spiking it really was an eye opener. I am not diabetic, but I knew I was heading down that road since many family members of mine were.

So low carbing it made sense on a certain level, then throwing in what it does with the insulin sealed the deal. I would read as much as you can about different aspects of it and one might click with you more...

For me, if I "cheat", it will allow me to cheat more. So I really, really try to take the temptation out. I also realize, I don't have the pleasure of eating cheese at this point. I might introduce it back in when I hit more of my weight loss goals, but for now, I need to be more "strict".

Play with it all. See what works for you. Keep it up! Good luck!

AverageJoe is offline Junior Member

g2baker- It sounds like you are how i would like to be. Totally strict and able to stick to it. Maybe when i get started again I will hold out long enough to see some results and be able to use that as motivation.

kjake55- maybe that is the approach I will use. Just eat meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts/seeds/nut butters and not keep track of carbs. If i am able to stick to those foods for a couple weeks then maybe I will be able to start keeping track of the carbs.

krisssi- I am the same way. My cheat days are not planned they just happen and before i know it i have just finished off the pizza.

Luckykoi and Griff - You make a good point. I have a copy of Mark's book. Maybe I will try to read some of the book each day to keep me on track.

I would prefer to be strict and not have a cheat day b/c it is a slippery slope.

Thanks everyone for the good replies.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I agree with those who mentioned constantly reviewing the science behind your choice. In my case, that means spending some time every day reading books and/or websites that educate me further. The more you understand about PB/low-carb, the more likely you are live by it.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

DepRatlAnimal Guest

I think your plan is good, except for the fruit! You might want to limit that to like a serving a day. Fitday says an apple, for instance, is 19 g carbs, an orange about 17 g. I rarely have more than a half piece of fruit, since I'm trying to lose weight...

That stinks fruit and dried fruit are two of my favorite things. Maybe I will try the bacon trick. Make a pound of bacon and just keep it in a bag and eat some when ever I want to eat something bad.

krisssi Guest

Fruit is fine in moderation and easy to stay within 150grams carbs a day eating a few pieces of fruit.

DepRatlAnimal Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

But most people trying to lose weight stay well below 150g of carbs a day, and I've heard many people mention fruit as a trigger for more cravings.

AverageJoe, you could definitely start out eating fruit freely if you wanted, and just see how it goes, how you feel, if you're losing at a rate you feel happy with. That's just not the path I chose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast