Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not sure im getting enough protein - HELP! page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

not sure im getting enough protein - HELP!

Primal Fuel
    im not sure exactly how much protein im supposed to be getting each day. ive heard anywhere from .5 grams to 1.5grams of lean body weight. however i weigh 354lbs and i dont know how much my lean body weight is. ive done some calculators online that say its around 200lbs so if i go with that i should be getting anywhere from 100 to 300 grams of protein. as you can see that is a HUGE difference! i figured it up and yesterday i only ate about 80 grams of protein and half of that was at breakfast

now my 2nd question is how in the heck do i eat 300 grams of protein a day??

my goal is to lose fat and build muscle so i know i need to eat protein to keep from losing muscle, so should i make sure i eat as much protein as possible?

would not getting enough protein hurt my weight loss?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    it might be easier to eat your protein based on your goals, rather than your actual weight. aim for .7 - 1g protein for your lean body mass goal...so, maybe around 200 grams a day for now as a rough estimate. meat is your best friend here, but you can also hit those numbers with eggs and whey if you want. dairy and nuts are also a decent source of protein, but they come with a lot of calories and may not be the best choice if fat loss is what you're after.

Lior is offline Junior Member
    If your 200lbs lean, its not so difficult. Space out your meals and supplement with high quality whey protein.
    If you can fit in 5-6 meals a day, about 30-40 grams per meal, you shouldn't have any problem. Dont worry about hitting 200 grams each day, its not always going to be possible. A good clean primal diet with high quality protein sources and you'll be fine.

Paleobird Guest
    First of all, ignore the above post about 5-6 meals. That is CW nonsense.

So, at what weight do you look head-turningly hot in swim trunks, like Mark? Take that number x .9 figuring about 10% bodyfat. This gives you your lean mass number. You should get 1 gr protein per pound of this number per day.

This means that you may need to switch to leaner protein sources but it's not really all that hard to do. Just skip the bacon and have some more eggs for breakfast. Maybe bison instead of beef, flank steak instead of brisket.

Trust me it works. I've made it to my goal weight doing this.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    +1 to Paleobird...The bacon will always be there for:-)

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    500g (about 1lb) of 90/10 ground beef (raw) is about 100g of protein and 50g of fat. I eat that plus a ribeye, chicken breast or pork loin split between 2 meals. Winds up being more than 200g of protein per day and I am still f'ing hungry.

And listen to Paleobird, she has done it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I weigh 170 pounds and am able to meet my meat needs with fish. Other Primal meats are WAY too expensive. So I have a can of mackerel (bones and all) at lunch, that equals 60 grams, and two servings of salmon for dinner, is about 40 grams depending on the chunks for a total of 100g of good omega 3-rich protein every day. I make my own grass-fed beef tallow and cut it with coconut oil and fry the salmon in about three tablespoons of that to help get enough fat. I never eat breakfast, fasting is my friend.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Protein intake requirements are also based on lean body mass as well. The 1g per pound of lean body mass is for people that are lifting and trying to add muscle mass. If you goal is just to maintain your current muscle mass and lose weight then I'd say it's safe to go down to more .7 to .8 grams per lb of lean body mass.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I'd say to try for at least 150g of protein a day. You can go for leaner cuts of meat and should be able to meet it. I know you are doing leptin reset, and so you get 50g with breakfast, so as long as you get as much protein for lunch and dinner as you do for breakfast you should be ok.

I also reached my goal weight, and having lean meats was part of what did it for me.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I weigh 170 pounds and am able to meet my meat needs with fish. Other Primal meats are WAY too expensive. So I have a can of mackerel (bones and all) at lunch, that equals 60 grams, and two servings of salmon for dinner, is about 40 grams depending on the chunks for a total of 100g of good omega 3-rich protein every day. I make my own grass-fed beef tallow and cut it with coconut oil and fry the salmon in about three tablespoons of that to help get enough fat. I never eat breakfast, fasting is my friend.
    A lot of my diet is seafood as well. Although fasting may need to wait a while until Mike is farther along. I don't think it's for everybody all the time. I usually don't eat lunch. I find that Dr. Kruse's protocol of a high protein breakfast first thing in the morning was very helpful in getting my hunger signals re-regulated. If you are going to skip something, I would suggest lunch not breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast