Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: too much fat? page

too much fat?

Primal Fuel
    I am going over my DRV for fat most days by about 25+ grams. I get most of my fat from coconut oil, avocados, olive oil, salmon, and lean red meats like Bison and Longhorn. I am 5'1 and weigh 114lbs @ 16% Body Fat. I would like to get down to 105-110lbs with 10-12% body fat. Do you think eating these fats is this preventing me from losing weight? I think not, but I am at a loss as to how to change my body composition. I have been primal for 5 weeks now. Any advice will be helpful!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    For woman wanting to get down to that lean of a level you will need to be very careful with how much of the fats that you are eating. It's the same for men trying to get down to or below 5%.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    For woman wanting to get down to that lean of a level you will need to be very careful with how much of the fats that you are eating. It's the same for men trying to get down to or below 5%.
    Indeed. Why are you trying to get your body fat so low? 10-12% is on the lean side for a man. For a woman, it's danger zone for health. Are you competing? You already have fats well under 1g/lb of body weight, and I'm assuming little carbohydrate. If you're 16% bf, you're probably already pretty ripped.

An idea would be to simply "shift" your fats without changing the intake level. This would mean less long chain fatty acids and more medium chain tryglycerides (shift away from monounsaturated fats to medium chain saturated fatty acids). Basically, eat the same macros, but eat more coconut instead of more butter. Use MCT oil instead of olive oil on salads. Fry things in coconut oil/MCT oil instead of butter or lard. Make coconut butter instead of using regular butter. Normal butter is actually insulinogenic, so I'd cut that out 100%. That way, you'll be achieving the rare "thermic effect" with a fat, which normally doesn't happen.

If you're really looking to lose weight, Trader Joe's sells super lean ground turkey that only has 2g/fat per pound for $4.99/lb. I would recommend stocking up on this because it's practically a fat free whole food protein source. Then, add your daily fat as all coconut-based (or go for the throat and buy MCT oil). A diet high in protein, a little green vegetables for some fiber and mostly medium chain triglycerides as a fat source would have you shedding fat in no time I bet.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-30-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    I'm not trying to criticize you, but I'm just curious as to why you want to have such low bodyfat levels. Are you prepping for a fitness competition or something? Because it will be very, very hard to maintain that level of leanness for a woman. It will take caloric restriction and exercise. There are a few girls I know with really low levels of bf but they work out a lot, have always been stick-thin, and have no real interest in food.

It will be hard for you to get all of your vitamins and minerals. You might experience brittle nails, thinner hair, and a loss of your period, which will lead to bone density problems and hormonal issues. You would have to go on birth control to keep your cycle which has its own slew of side effects. Sorry, I don't mean to scare you, but these are very real consequences of being at super low bf levels for a woman.

HOWEVER -- if you are petite in build then you most likely can realistically get to 105-110 pounds, and it won't be too hard. Just keep in mind your bodyfat will probably be closer to 15-18%. At my absolute thinnest I was 106 pounds and probably 15% bf. However, I'm 5'4" so that did not look healthy at all on me. I look much better (with some muscle) at about 117 pounds and 17% bf.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Ditto on why you want to go to such a low percentage of body fat.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    Ditto on why you want to go to such a low percentage of body fat.
    Cus having your period is teh suck.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Having messed up hormones potentially for years is even more teh suck
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Having messed up hormones potentially for years is even more teh suck
    Yep, been there done that and it blows.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionfitness View Post
    I am 5'1 and weigh 114lbs @ 16% Body Fat. I would like to get down to 105-110lbs with 10-12% body fat. Do you think eating these fats is this preventing me from losing weight? I think not, but I am at a loss as to how to change my body composition. I have been primal for 5 weeks now. Any advice will be helpful!
    Body Fat Pictures and Percentages | Leigh Peele
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the responses! I am of a petite build @ 5'1. I definitely do not want to loose my period or cause hormonal interruptions. I do want to have my BF % re-checked. One of you said I must be pretty ripped at 16% BF and the truth is that yes, I am athletic, but i have some fat on my arms and thighs that with 16% BF I don't feel like should be there. Last time I used a Tanita scale, and I don;t know how accurate it was. I would like to use Dexa method. I am considering competing in a fitness model competition. I am also a personal trainer and want to look and feel my best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast