Thread: saturated fat, LDLs, red meat and bowel cancer page

kimmyv_84 is offline Junior Member

saturated fat, LDLs, red meat and bowel cancer

I tend to agree with the majority of Mark's nutritional advice (particularly in regards to avoiding grains and processed foods) but there are a couple of points that concern me - The liberal attitude to saturated fats and the lack of acknowledgment for the strong correlation between red meat and bowel cancer is the other.

I completely agree that omega 3's are excellent and that omega 6's and trans fats need to be avoided but I do still believe that saturated fats should be consumed at a minimum. It is well regarded that they stimulate production of LDL's but I havn't found any quality evidence that they increase HDL's at all (feel free to refer any peer reviewed journal articles, I would be happy to read them!) therefore I acknowledge their place in our diet (from natural animal and plant sources only) but still believe that they should be consumed very much in moderation!

Secondly, there are so many quality studies that recognise the link between red and processed meats and bowel cancer (similarly they acknowledge an inverse relationship between fish and bowel cancer! Fish is not just good for the heart, it's good for your digestive system!) and so Mark's advice to "eat animal products in abundance" concerns me a little. Perhaps the studies that exist fail to seperate red meats from processed meats when surveys are conducted and it is in fact the processed meats that cause all the problems not other sources of red meats, but until this is researched even more thoroughly I would be reluctant to eat red meat more than a couple of times a week. Focus more on fish and seafood as your main animal sources followed by organic chicken and pork

Any feedback / published work suggestions welcome! I too have studied nutrition for many years and am always looking to improve and evolve my knowledge

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    red and processed meats
    This is the problem. In all those studies you mentioned things like Big Macs and Pepperoni Pizzas are what qualify as 'Meat'.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    The link isn't nearly so strong as you might think. Look up Denise Minger's excellent work breaking down The China Study and learn the real deal.

Thanks guys, i'll check it out

Glamorama is offline Senior Member

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Unforutunately I don't consider meat that requires an ingredient list to be meat. Nutritionists do. I wish there was a study between people that eat a diet that requires a list of ingredients on the package and people that eat only food that doesn't come in a package. Where is that study? I can't be sure of the results but I can only imagine that they would differ greatly from what is accepted as the obvious.

I want to go on but reading your post you want to be spoon fed peer reviewed articles which I have little use for after I am done reading them so anything I have to say won't be cited. At this point I shall digress from senseless banter.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Wink

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There have been several hundreds of studies conducted that compare processed foods with their natural counterparts. If you have access to any university databases you will easily be able to find many. Even google scholar will bring up several. I am a nutritionist and I certainly don't consider "meat that requires a list of ingredients" (by this I assume you mean, processed products) to be "meat" or in any way healthy for you.

Other than that I can't really make sense of your reply, however, if you consider my point of view "senseless banter", or peer reviewed research to be "useless" then that means you probably don't have the skills to critically analyse them and I would suggest you keep your unhelpful feedback and useless criticisms to yourself in future.