Thread: Gut Bacteria influencing your mind page

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member

Gut Bacteria influencing your mind

Shop Now
    Mind-altering Bugs

Researchers found that mice with higher levels of a certain type of bacteria have a much lower stress response and are frightened less. The particular strain of bacteria is commonly found in probiotics.

I'm not sure, but this goes along with the GAPS diet, doesn't it?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    most of the woo woo medical practioners have been saying this for decades. not so woo woo now eh
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Mind-altering Bugs

Researchers found that mice with higher levels of a certain type of bacteria have a much lower stress response and are frightened less. The particular strain of bacteria is commonly found in probiotics.

I'm not sure, but this goes along with the GAPS diet, doesn't it?
    Absolutely. The premiss with GAPS is that the gut and the brain are intimately linked; that where there's a psychological problem you'll usually find gut dysbiosis; and that the best treatment for many psychological conditions is to heal the gut and re-populate it with beneficial bacteria, supporting that with an appropriate diet—in effect, one not dissimilar to WAPF/Paleo/Primal (or perhaps Atkins when done in a wholefoods manner). It seems to work.

Interesting article. Thanks.

Lactobacillus rhamnosus is the one it says they used. They add that that's like some bacteria commonly found in probiotics. I have had at least one that specifically mentioned it—can't remember which—but I think bifidus and lactobacilli are more commonly found in probiotics. Bio-kult, which seems to have some connection with GAPS, has it:

Lactobacillus rhamnosus | BioKult

So does the Udo's Choice:

The Udo's Choice Probiotic Range | www.udoschoice.co.uk

From the article:

So far, most of the work has focused on how pathogenic bugs influence the brain by releasing toxins or stimulating the immune system, Cryan says. One recent study suggested that even benign bacteria can alter the brain and behavior, but until now there has been very little work in this area, Cryan says.
    It would be interesting to turn that the other way round, wouldn't it?

I mean, I wonder if they taught someone to meditate—to calm themselves that way—whether their gut bacteria would change. Maybe that would be a way to assist the right ones and keep the less desirable ones under control.