Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CONFUSED and GIVING UP Stressing about this page

kungfumike is offline Senior Member

CONFUSED and GIVING UP Stressing about this

Primal Fuel
    I would love to be able to follow directions...

I can't seem to make my fitness life fit into the PB peg holes. I like working out frequently. As to how hard I work out, I am not sure I can define it. But maybe the point is... If it's fun, then DO IT.

I like doing medium weight sandbag lifting DVDs.

I like doing a TRX/Kettlebell (swings and getups) DVD.

I like doing P90X DVDs.

I like playing outside with a soccer ball and walking in my new VFFs.

My "problem" lies in the fact that I want to do medium-weight lifting every day. I'd go heavier, but fear and grip strength keep me back.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I hope that letting go of hangups and worries about "working out too much" might be a good start to real primal living.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i know there's a lot of talk out there about over training, but that doesn't really seem like anything you need to stress yourself out about. you probably shouldn't exercise all day, every day, but if you enjoy working out then do it. personally, i love days when i'm "exercising" all day because i feel like doing my normal workout, going for a run, and then helping somebody move. i almost look at it as play more than anything else, and that is an often neglected part of the primal blueprint.

regarding going heavy, just push past the fear. programs like start strength and stronglifts are great for easing you into heavy lifting while building strength (including grip strength) along the way. if you do make the switch to lifting heavy, it's likely that you will naturally back off some of the exercising just because it can take so much out of you, but that won't be for a little while if you follow one of those programs. as fun as medium weights can be for an energy boosting workout, you can hardly imagine what it's like to hit a new personal lifting record with heavier weights. it feels amazing.

Thanks for your very positive response Rob. I will think about it. You have a point about going heavier taking more out of one.

The sand bag I have can go up another 35 lbs from 35 to about 70, so I will move in that direction first. I am interested in CrossFit or powerlifting, but I can't swing gym fees now, so I will use what I have (which is a lot, TRX, KB, SBs, P90X).

My previous experience with P90X made me feel like I could only do that if I took their recovery drink sugar water, so I know what overtraining feels like, so I figure as long as I don't go THERE, I will be ok...

primalfamily is offline Member
    I've done 2 round of p90x doing primal/IF with nvr using the recovery drink and I've done both round barefoot. so it is possible, but it is also overtraining IMHO doing that 7x a week. (I've cut back to 3 resistance training/week plus 2 yoga/non cardio exercise. ) use what you got and keep at it. I am doing mostly bodyweight workout, but just bring up the intensity.

I do believe it can be done and I congratulate you. I don't think I want to do it any more though...

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I'm in agreement with others. Most of us will *feel* if/when we are actually overtraining. If you are feeling strong and optimal and want to do some more working out, I think that's perfectly ok. If you are feeling exhausted and like you are struggling to get through your (many) workouts--not because they are challenging but because of the exhaustion, you may want to cut back.

What's nice for many folks about Mark's PBF is that it makes fitness accessible for everyone, and makes it clear that you DON'T have to work out hours every day to be fit. If you are inspired to keep 'playing' with all of this, I think its fine. I personally do lots of handstanding and back bridges etc for fun, and carry my 45 lb kid all over the place (and sometimes squat w/ him on my shoulders, etc), along w/ a good deal of yoga. I don't count this stuff as part of my LHT workouts. Are all of these activities helping me get to my functional fitness goals though? Yeah! But like a pp, I count a lot of that stuff as play. My body tells me when I need to take it easy, or when I'm ready to do more.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like one of them good problems, don't worry about it so much and just go for it. At my previous job I used to take a ride to a nearby playground and do lots of pull ups, dips, etc almost every day. Some days I'd throw some sprints, other days I'd just walk or try to do handstands, etc. I never thought I was over-training probably because none of it was too strenuous, or if one day was, the other was lighter, as dictated by how my body felt.

Wish I could get a dog to play with :P

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    if you find working out fun why not consider it your play time? your body will tell you when you are overtraining
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast