Thread: Vibram FiveFingers suitable on concrete? page

HERC0 is offline Member

Vibram FiveFingers suitable on concrete?

I recently purchased a pair of VFFs and love them, and since I've tried to go for a walk on my lunch break every day. However I work in the centre of town and there's no natural, grassy areas for me to walk, so I just have to walk around town on the pavements.

I've recently noticed a very slight tenderness (but not pain) in my heels while on these lunchtime walks in my VFFs so I'm wondering if I simply have to walk to concrete, is a cushioned sole of a trainer possibly better for my feet than the VFFs?

peril is offline Senior Member
    I walk six km per day on concrete in VFF. You have to change your stride so you don't bang your heel. Lean forward slightly and shorten your stride. This should enable you to land midfoot - heel and ball together
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Agree - work on changing your stride.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Just take it easy. I am a beginner with the VFF, and I find some tenderness in the ball of one foot. My recommendation for you (and myself) is to take time, take smaller steps and step lighter. Some times I pay extra attention to let my toes do more of the work of supporting the ball area of my food to take more load. I also try to land more in the middle of my foot.

If you have pain in your heel, you might be taking normal shoe-oriented strides and I have heard that while that is ok with shoes, it's not as ok barefoot, so step smaller and take time. Our speed should improve with practice.

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Doh! too late. Someone beat me too it LOL

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Ditto on changing stride...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The VFF's can actually impede stride correction by cushioning the blows from an improper foot fall. Try going 100% barefoot for a walk or two so you can really feel it when you step incorrectly. I wear water shoes and they do not let me forget a bad step. I wanted the VFF's for awhile, but I tried them on again and realized I like the water shoes better.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hack your walking? - Paleo Hacks.com

Esther Gokhale calls it glide walking. Check it out.