Thread: Newbie - Excited! page

HeatherH is offline Member

Newbie - Excited!

Shop Now
    I'm 5 days in and am soaking in all the info I can find. Going paleo/primal for health reasons. Hoping it can get my PCOS under control and I can lose weight and feel healthier.
    I already love meats and veggies. I find eating this way easy. I do miss beer though!

I'm trying to figure out the differences between primal and paleo. I'm not sure which one I am. Any input would be awesome.

I'm looking forward to reading more and getting my hormones and body back!

LogicalOutlier is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I'm pretty new too. Welcome! Yeah PB is pretty delicious (but not peanut butter)

I think primal has a greater emphasis on fats than paleo. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The forums are really helpful, but everyone's mileage varies with different approaches. Super low carb...moderate fruits...starches = bad, starches = good...etc. It gets pretty confusing, but trial and error will tell you what works for your body.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. Fats were the only big difference I saw too. I have been low-carb for a while due to insulin resistance. I was going about it the wrong way though. I'm excited to see how my body reacts. I also need to learn how to go about eating fats.

LogicalOutlier is offline Junior Member
    Oh yeah, and I think paleos cut out dairy as well. Mark has a moderate stance on it, but a lot of people on the forums cut it out.
    Coconut oil, meat fats, nuts (though these stall weight loss for some), olive oil as a dressing (not for cooking)...yum. It's a fun ride!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Fats are easy!

If you're buying organic chickens or grass-fed meats, you can eat the skin and the fat that comes with the meat (if you like it). If you're going the 'grocery store' route, many don't eat the skin or the fat because it can contain high omega 6 levels.

Other ways to get fat in your diet: eat the yolks with your eggs, cook your eggs in butter or bacon grease, eat bacon, have some avocado in your salad (or eat guacamole), use an olive oil dressing, choose full-fat dairy (if you do dairy), use coconut oil or coconut milk in your coffee or on berries.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thanks for the tips! Coconut and watermelon are the ONLY foods I hate! Does almond milk work well?
    I don't do dairy, I'm lactose intolerant/sensitive. I do like some cottage cheese or yogurt sometimes. I figured a little bit a couple times a week would be ok.
    I am definitely trying to lose weight, so anything that helps with that is a plus. I will be careful of nuts.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of varieties of paleo. Lots of "paleo" folks do moderate fat too. Most all of us agree get rid of processed food, sugar and most grains. Avoid vegetable oils except coconut and olive.

Beer is not good but a bit of dry wine can be fine.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, and good for you:-) There are coconut oils you can buy that don't have the strong "coconut flavor/smell", and are just as effective.