Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simplified P90X page

onelasttime Guest

I have seen the posts/debates about P90X and I completed a round last year (prePB) with good gains but total burnout. I am putting together a plan for my husband and I to workout together and he really enjoys the P90X DVDs so I was considering simplifying the schedule. For those of you who do modify, would you be willing to share your plan?

For the short-term (Dec-Jan) I was thinking of a rotation with days off or slow cardio in between:

Shoulders and Arms

Legs and Back

Plyo or Core Syn

Kenpo (with weighted gloves)

And shortening the workouts some - eliminating one round or fast forwarding some exercises.

What do you think?

chima_p is offline Senior Member

bluedad Guest

After P90X, P90 is so mind-numbingly boring (not to mention a real hokey Tony Horton). I'm finishing up a third round of the X, and am feeling burned out too. The workout book states that you can do a maintenance version by doing half of the workout. It's such a flexible program, I think what you're planning would be ok.

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

The only change I made was I took out plyo/kenpo and replaced it with sprints. During the rest week I do P90X+ with core syng.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

The workouts are too long. After a round of p90x, you shuold be able to cherry pick the "best" excersises and create your own routine.

maba is offline Senior Member

I've only just started P90X and I don't do it as defined in the book. I pick a DVD I like and do it for 30-60 minutes depending on how I feel that day, and that too about 2 times a week. I have to slowly increase the workouts. I would love to do the P90X program properly but at the same time I don't want to feel burnt-out.

neighborhood fit is offline Junior Member

I have yet to complete a full round of P90X. Simply because the workouts seem long and with my busy schedule it just wasn't quite working for me.

I love using kettlebells and body weight exercises where I feel I get a whole heck of a lot done in in a shorter period of time.

My longest workouts are Yoga. I do it twice a week because I love the way I feel after each session.

I rotate Cardio X (which is similar to P90) and Core Syn (my favorite DVD) into my core exercise routine for a week or two just to mix things up.

I plan to start sprinting after the New Year (developed tendonitis in my knee)which was maddening since I only just started PB about 3 weeks ago with great results after 3 weeks.

Anyway, getting back on the subject - find the parts of 90X that works for you, incorporate other types of programs as a compliment and you'll soon find that it's the big picture that matters the most.

Which is getting you to your healthiest and best shape that you want to be in.

stevew2023 is offline Junior Member

I'm starting another round Jan. 4th...

onelasttime Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. We did a 1/2 round of Shoulders and Arms yesterday with much heavier weights than normal and we are both feeling it today. The fast forwarding is a little annoying but we might try to pick our favourites and go it on our own.

Kaizen Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

For now, mostly due to my limited spacing, I'm going to do every other day of P90X (the lifting routines). The other days either do light cardio or even just stretch. It's been a while since I did P90X and today after Back and Biceps I realized I need to slowly get back into it. Also, have you looked into P90X+? I know the P90X ones are a bit long and sometimes winded, but p90X+ is faster and shorter. It's much more intense, but it's also only 4 DVDs long, which supplement the original DVDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast