Thread: Gupta: Becoming heart attack proof - Eliminate meat, eggs. dairy, oils page

Sam C is offline Junior Member

Gupta: Becoming heart attack proof - Eliminate meat, eggs. dairy, oils

Gupta: Becoming heart attack proof The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Pretty radical stuff. I do agree with veggies being the staple of a diet, but this seems a little much.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Odd first post. Troll?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Odd first post. Troll?
    peril around these parts people have to prove themselves before they can earn the label "Troll".

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    peril around these parts people have to prove themselves before they can earn the label "Troll".
    The OP probaby wanted to open up a topic but wasn't clear about that. And, the OP did say "radical" and "little bit much," which shows the OP doesn't agree with the whole concept.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    This is all based on the idea that saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease, which they don't.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    This is all based on the idea that saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease, which they don't.
    That could be true if the person is active and eating the good foods. A good portion of Americans are not doing that, and so they have problems.

Tracyltk73 is offline Junior Member
    This is my first time posting, but have been following Primal style since January. My husband and MIL have been following Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn diet since Jan as well and both have lost like 50-60 lbs of weight and have decreased their total cholesterol from like over 500's to like 130's ( not exact, have to ask them) without ANY change in physical activity. My MIL has major issues with her rt ankle and really cant exercise at all and has dropped a lot of weight just due to diet. I am not going to knock it at all. Only thing is, they cant eat shit! They eat veggies , fruit, beans and whole grain pasta (pretty much) no oil or meat/meat products at all. In the same time period I have lost 25-30 lbs that would not budge with CW, but dropped easily with primal, lately though ( last several months) I am only maintaining. I am considering their diet, even for only a month just to 'kick' start things again, BUT, i love primal WOE so much that I don't know. I still need to lose at least 40ish pounds.. 5ft 5/195 lb female, need to be at least 150 lbs to be considered normal weight.

Not going to knock their WOE since even though I have been complete opposite pretty much from my hubby in diet, yet he has lost over 60 lbs with this without any exercise and has considerably lowered his total cholesterol (which according to our dr he was a walking heart attack at 38 years old) from over 500 to 160ish (around). To be honest, not sure how he stuck with it, especially with me cooking yummy primal food around him every day.

Just wanted to speak up about this post since me and MIL were just talking about this show and how much the premise has worked so well for her, it's not my 'cup of tea' per say, but does work with those determined to do it, my hubby doesn't even crave the bacon anymore even while I am cooking it.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in, take it for what it's worth.

dado Guest
    Gupta is a bum.

CNN is generally terrible for you, lay off the sauce!!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    These articles are stupid.

Simply put, Campbell’s research team found people who ate the most animal-based foods also had the most chronic disease. As important, people who ate the most plant-based foods were the healthiest.
    Yea, and what are the "animal foods" always documented to be in these studies (if they're documented AT ALL)?

Fried chicken.
    McDonald's Hamburgers
    Ground beef tacos at Taco Bell
    Buffalo wings
    Cheese steaks
    Pepperoni pizza
    Processed sausages, patties, hot dogs and bacon

Wow, who would have thought that breaded items deep fried in rancid PUFA oil would lead to heart disease? These studies NEVER show people that avoid grains and PUFA oils, but eat lots of beef, chicken and pork like us. Here is the fact: the people that consume the most animal products often have the worst diet because the majority of animal products consumed aren't natural meats from the meat aisle, but fast food meats, frozen dinners and processed meat patties. Conversely, these studies show people that eat the most vegetables to be the healthiest because, surprise surprise, these type of people eat the least amounts of processed food, fast food and breaded and fried food. And guess what? The people that avoid these foods naturally eat less refined sugar, less soy, less PUFA oil and less grain.

So, instead of saying "avoid processed foods, PUFA oil, soy and sugar", they say "avoid saturated fat." They ALWAYS ignore the real culprit of heart disease and cholesterol - omega 6 polyunsaturated fat and refined carbohydrate - because the system is bought and paid for by the huge agra companies that make all these GMO products, refined sugars and vegetable oils. If we go after them, then the healthcare/big pharma community loses billions since it's the big agra companies making us all sick. So, if we take tens of billions out of the pockets of big agra and tens of billions out of the pockets of big pharma, where is all the extra money to contribute to our politicians so they can promote the Food Pyramid?

No, it's easier to just blame natural animal fats. Only the small farmer and the general public lose there, and we all know no one gives a fuck about the small businessman or the general public. Most doctors don't know a damn thing about nutrition. I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them. I use them for one thing: getting a script in the rare event I ever get sick.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-30-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracyltk73 View Post
    They eat veggies , fruit, beans and whole grain pasta (pretty much) no oil or meat/meat products at all. In the same time period I have lost 25-30 lbs that would not budge with CW, but dropped easily with primal, lately though ( last several months) I am only maintaining. I am considering their diet, even for only a month just to 'kick' start things again, BUT, i love primal WOE so much that I don't know. I still need to lose at least 40ish pounds.. 5ft 5/195 lb female, need to be at least 150 lbs to be considered normal weight
    I would strongly advise against this. A lot of times, dropping fat for a very short period in lieu of carbohydrate will give you a jump start and restart weight loss again, but those choices are not good. If you want to try it, look at the carb refeed link in my signature. You DO NOT need to do that for a month. That would be counterproductive. You would drop fats and up your carbs for a 24-48 hour period on a heavy training day(s). If you do not exercise, you'll have to eat considerably less carbohydrate. Limit your fats to 50g or less and eat 100-150g of starchy carbs over the course of a day, with as many of them pushed to your last meal as possible (carbs closer to bed are less likely to be stored as fat).

OR you could just wait it out. If you're still quite overweight, your body may be trying to adapt to its new form before more weight loss kicks in. Your body won't drop weight linearly. It does it in steps, and the less fat you have, the slower you use it (more body fat = more circulating leptin = more total fat loss). Another popular strategy is to cycle your calories. For 3 days in a row, eat 20% under maintenance calories, then for one day, eat 20% over maintenance. This gives you an overall energy deficit, but the regular big refeeding day keeps your metabolism from thinking you're starving yourself. Most people plateau because they eat the same stuff in the same amounts day in and day out, and their body gets used to it. You have to change things up - some days eat normally, other days undereat significantly, other days overeat significantly. What matters is it averages to an energy deficit.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-30-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.