Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Why are people allergic to fish

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    53

    1

    Shop Now


    Hi there,


    I'm a 100% in with eating a primal diet, but my mind is puzzled as to why some people are allergic to seafood or fish. My guess is that animals that eat fish in nature are never allergic to it. What about us? What's the problem there?


    Also, what about the specific fruits some people are allergic to?


    Thanks

    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    80

    1



    Natural selection?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Viroqua, WI
    Posts
    39

    1



    I've wondered that too. Shellfish doesn't have many health properties, right? Clearly people can live without it if need be, as with fruit. (And not so with meat and to a lesser extent vegetables).


  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,766

    1



    Shellfish is practically pure protein.


  5. #5

    1



    It's something to do with iodine content - when I worked in a hospital radiology department, if someone was allergic to fish we couldn't use the normal contrast (dye) because it was iodine-based.


    Turning your thoughts around, if e.g. an Inuit was allergic to fish, they'd die very young and not pass on their genes. Whereas an allergic inland hunter might never be in that situation? So the genes could survive?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    178

    1

    Shop Now


    It may also be that the iodine tolerance can be built over time.


    When I was searching for an Iodine supplement, I read that some people have low tolerance. So everybody should start the iodine solution at a very small dose, then slowly increase it over several months. People with high tolerance could increase the dose faster.


    We cannot be really allergic to Iodine as it is a very important micronutrient. There can be low tolerance, which should be possible to increase.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •