Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is corn a grain? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Why is corn a grain?

Primal Fuel
    Someone asked the following on my facebook fan page a few weeks ago...

"why is corn a grain? that's another question I just thought of. the native americans did corn - not sure if they count as the "agricultural era."

So, what do you guys think?

I think the first short question is irrelevant. It's kind of like asking... "Why is spinach a vegetable? Well, we made that up...

But what about the second question... the native americans did eat a lot of corn, right? Were they healthy and robust? Does corn have much gluten? Is it maybe a grain that is ok once in a while if your body does not go crazy after eating a little grain?

Is corn maybe a paleolithic food? (it does not matter to me... I eat bananas, peas, sugar snap peas, etc. - all are neolithic foods).

A heads up... I will be quoting my favorite responses for a blog post... thanks guys! It's time to build the community NOW!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    ignoring all the modifications that have been made to maize in the last several centuries, the Native Americans didnt eat it the way we do. we would coll thier concotions nasty if were were being kind.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    So... what you are saying is, it's all the Pilgrims fault!

localad is offline Senior Member
    The only real reason I used to eat corn on the cob was as an excuse for lapping up loads of melted butter. Now I enjoy the butter without an excuse!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I'm not sure, I've heard corn called a "fruit", but it's been so altered from it's wild state. I can't remember where I read about the original hybridization of corn, but basically ancient mesoamericans found a grass with large "edible" kernels and bred them to make it easier to mill them, not wanting to spend as much time grinding off the tough outer layer of the seed. And... being a grass, I guess that's why it's a grain. Hence "agriculture". The Mayans and Aztecs farmed it heavily, and it spread through out the Western hemisphere.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, corn is actually a grass. The big fat cobs are a cultivated bastardization of standard grass seeds. Take a picture of a stalk of wheat - it's the same sort of thing. Corn's just way developed.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    also, this was too good not to share:

DERP ON THE COB

Paleobird Guest
    Modern day hybridized corn is much sweeter than the wild version used by the Native Americans. Also, when you have to grind something up by hand using a rock, you can't really eat all that much of it. They didn't go get a bag of Doritos from the supermarket.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Modern day hybridized corn is much sweeter than the wild version used by the Native Americans. Also, when you have to grind something up by hand using a rock, you can't really eat all that much of it. They didn't go get a bag of Doritos from the supermarket.
    No, they ate a shit ton of corn in Mesoamerica.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Native Americains also fared just fine on beans and squashes. And I doubt any paleolithic ansector of ours cooked his mushrooms in butter or cured his bacon and then fried in his frying pan.

The idea is to cut out stuff that carries low nutritional load with a high caloric tag and stuff that harms your system. 99% of the time. I believe, corn is in the 'too much calories for just sugar and gods know what else & antinutrients' along with the other garins and grass-seeds.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast