Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page

My journey for health, energy and a balanced life

I am brand new to the Primal Diet, this is literally my first day. I want to journal to see how my health, energy and moods change. I learned about Mark's Daily Apple on the Spark People website. At first when I visited his blog I was a little skeptical - it just seemed a little too out there for me. For some reason I was drawn back though, I couldn't stop reading and found myself wanting to know more. I bought the book (thank god for Amazon) online and got it the next day. I spend all weeking pouring over it. At first I just read ahead to the food part to see what I could eat and was a little disappointed. I wasn't sure if my husband would go along with it. I put the book down for a day, then picked it up again yesterday and read it from the beginning almost the whole way through.

A little history, I have been dieting for a really long time. My most recent adventures in weightloss involved eliminating sugar and wheat. I had amazing results. My energy level was higher than it had ever been in my life. My moods were great. Prior to starting the no sugar diet, I went through almost a year of moderate health problems that seemed to be mostly pyschological. My doctor could not find any real problem. I was constantly hungry, my moods were erratic at best and manic at worst, I frequently felt anxious, dizzy, lethargic, and much more. I tried anti-depresants, adding more protein to my diet. Nothing worked. The no sugar diet was a god send, it was like magic. Within 2 days of eliminating sugar *and coffee* I felt like a new person. I was only able to keep this up for a couple months. My sugar addiction got the best of me around the holidays.

Now nearly a year later I am desperate to get back to that feeling. I have tied unsuccessfully many times over the past few weeks to cut out sugar. For some reason I still feel tired and anxious and hungry.

I really would like to just nourish my body and not be hung up on what I'm eating. I want to focus my attention on my family not food.

I still have plenty of fat to lose. My focus to start wont be fat loss though. I imagine some will happen naturally by eating better. I am gonig to break this journey up in to 3 phases. The first phase is just getting my body used to eating well, not being hungry and eliminating the cravings. This first phase will last probably 30 - 45 days. I will know when my body is feeling normal again.

Starting Weight: 173.2 lbs
    Starting BF: 35%

The second phase will be to eliminate the excess body fat by monitoring carbs and possibly through I.F.

The third phase will be maintaining my healthy body with lots of fruits, vegetables and meat.

At least for the first 30 days I am going to eliminate dairy. I think I might have a mild problem with lactose, so I want to get rid of it for a while then reintroduce it later and see.

Oh, yeah. I also have terrible adult acne. It has gotten really, really bad over the past few weeks. I'm not quite sure what it could be. I think I might have started using Stevia around the time it got bad, so I will definately not use that for the first 30 days, then if I decide to also bring back coffee *which I can't drink unsweetened or black* I will try stevia again then.

Well, thanks for reading.

Added: Also, terrible inflamation & bloating, especially in my hands and legs. I can't wait for this to get better. Sometimes I have a hard time making a fist.
    Last edited by mommyrunmommy; 08-29-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Day 1

Food
    Breakfast
    1c. mixed organic frozen berries
    2 organic, cage free eggs w/ 1/2c. organic frozen spinach cooked in bacon fat
    Organic Green Tea

Lunch
    Romaine Salad w/ Chicken Breast (about 1/2c), bacon and bell peppers

Snacks
    carrost
    almonds

Dinner
    Canned albacore (not sure how I'm going to make this moist & tasty yet)
    Romaine Salad
    Broccoli steamed

I haven't decided dinner 100% - I might make a change.

Exercise
    I want to take a couple walks today at work, hopefully adding up to atleast 30 - 45 minutes.

Well, day 1 started awesome. I felt great. I got home and lost it. I started getting frustrated with my husband and kids. then I didn't 'feel' like eating what I had planned, so I made a frozen pizza. Then the next day I felt guilty . . . anyway, I wasn't 100% the last couple days. Yesterday I started doing some reading in preperation for my food plan for next week (I have to plan meals a week in advance at least so I can get all shopping done over the weekend). I started reading a ton of primal/paleo blogs about parenting and feeding your family primal/paleo. There was one blogger in particular who really inspired me.

This morning I woke up and made myself some boiled eggs, bought some chicken breasts and bacon to go with my romaine and salsa. I have so many reasons to do this and do it right, I can't give up. My family needs me to do it because there's no way they will ever do it without my leadership.

What I'm eating today (in no particular order):

Hardboiled eggs
    Almonds
    Romaine
    Salsa Fresca
    Chicken Breast
    Bacon
    Banana ??
    Tuna ??

gingernut is offline Senior Member
    Well done for getting back on it! It can be hard at first but it WILL get easier. Hope today has been better.
    Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

Thanks gingernut! It was hard, but I am so glad I did it.

I stuck to my guns all day yesterday. I was't really hungry once dinner hit, but I ate my salmon anyway.
    I ended up eating this yesterday:

AM: 2 whole eggs (cage free, organic)

Snack: 22 almonds

Lunch: Romaine, 4 oz chicken breast, 3 slices bacon, 1/2c. salsa

Snack: 2 c. baby carrots, 2 eggs, 1c. frozen berrie mix (organic)

Snack: 1/2 beef stick from US Wellness ( I got them for the kids, but wanted to taste them. not my cup of tea, but my son loved it.)

Dinner: 4oz wild sockeye salmon

This is how my day ended, according to FitDay. I totally did not realize how low my calories were, I felt mostly satisfied all day.
    CALORIES 1,364
    CARBS 82g
    FAT 69g
    PROTEIN 111g

I probably should give up coffee, but really really don't think I could successfully do that and stay Primal. I feel like I am letting go of so many poor choices, one more big change may be too much right now. I'm going to be sure not to have sugar with it. I wil use Stevia. I only have Stevia in the Raw right now, but will look for the extract that people here have said is better.

Today this is what I'm planning on eating:
    AM: 2 whole eggs (cage free, organic), 1.5c. TJ's cherry, berry mix and 1oz goat cheese ((yummy))

Snack: 22 almonds

Lunch: Romaine, 4 oz chicken breast, 3 slices bacon, 1/2c. salsa

Snack: Larbar if needed

Dinner: 5oz wild sockeye salmon, 2c. broccoli sauted in beef tallow w/ garlic & onions
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

So I started all gung-ho, then slipped, restarted, slipped again . . . . now here I am back to gung-ho. I feel so crappy after the last 2 -3 days of eating SAD. I am achy, inflammed and tired. I started the day great though, I ate 2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon and coffee with "coconut crack creamer". I know that dairy is a no-no due to my acne, so I made the recipe a couple days ago for the coconut cream, it's pretty good. I wasn't sure at first when I tasted it, before chilling it, but the next day it was definately better. It has the consistancy of whipped cream - I think it would be awesome over berries. I will see if my kids will eat it over some warm berries for a dessert this weekend.

I really need this change for my health, I will do this and take control of my health and wellbeing. I am sick of being tired and not feeling 'good'. I want energy and I want to enjoy my life instead of wandering through it in a inflammed, bloated haze.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

I didn't get very far in my first attempt at Primal. I have started and stopped several times since, never giving up hope that at some point it would stick. I feel deep down that I've finally turned a corner. I recently read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. That book is life changing. I did already believe that sugar and refined carbs were bad, I knew for sure that they are bad for me and make me feel like crap. That wasn't enough to change my habits. Reading about how deadly they really are though, that makes all the sweet things that I normally crave look like rat poison.

I have been primal for the past 3 days. I know, not long. I'm feeling the carb flu alittle. Some aches and pains, and I had a headache for a couple days.

My health has been a problem, and I really wanted to get my body switched over to burning fat for fuel and not carbs fast. Plus I am a severe carb addict, especially sugar. Even Stevia causes cravings in tiny doses. I am dong zero carb for the first 2 weeks. I know this is not necessary, but it definately makes me feel more in control. It's actually alot easier for me. I rarely have time to cook, so cooking a bunch of meat once a day is much easier than making fresh vegetables and salads also. I will start adding vegetables a little at a time after this first 2 weeks. I will also try adding some cheese and yogurt, seperately, since I've never had a problem with them. When I get a couple months in, then I will add wild berries. I will avoid other higher sugar fruits for the most part. Also, since I am anemic, I will incorporate liver at least once a week. I am still trying to figure out a pallatable way to make it.

That's my plan. I feel really good about it. I am proud of myself for making changes for my health.

My main goal is increased health: no inflamation, clearer skin, normal levels of iron and ferritin, increased energy and good moods. Secondarily, I would like to lose about 30 lbs. I think that will be a natural bi-product over time.

I have the worst headache today. Ever since I woke up my head has been hurting. I guess I am still suffering the carb flu.

1 week down!! I definately had a couple rough days last week. I feel great today though. I made the mistake of trying my coffee with Splenda this weekend though - it left me feeling light headed and very irritable. That won't happen again.

I decided that I will scrap the Zero Carb 2 week idea. I am getting so bored with only meat - it's making me crave other food. I will go ahead and add in salads and vegetables. I am still going to hold off on fruits for a little while. Only becuase I know that I am so sensitive to sugar and I want to make sure my body has plenty of time to heal.

Losing 5 lbs the firset week is great. I know a good deal, if not all of it, is water. That's good though, I know my body is turning in to a fat burning machine.

Food Today:
    Morning:
    Coffee w/ Coconut "Crack" Creamer & 2 packets Stevia in the Raw
    4 Eggs
    1/8 c. Shredded Cheese
    4 Slices bacon

Lunch
    4oz Tri Tip
    4 - 6 oz Chicken Breast
    Small Peice Zucchini

Dinner
    4 - 6oz Pot Roast
    About a half can diet root beer

**I'm not sure if it was the soda or the cheese, but I felt pretty bloated at the end of the day and really hungry this morning. I'm pretty sure the bloat was from the soda - I know better - so no more sodas for sure. The hunger this morning could've been from the artificial sweeteners in the soda or because I didn't eat enough. I will watch both. Also super tired last night.
    Last edited by mommyrunmommy; 01-10-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday was an interesting day. My husband and I planned to have lunch together after an interview he went on. His interview ran really late, so I ate lunch late and the lunch was quite a bit smaller than what I would've fixed for myself. I wasn't really feeling hungry afterwords, just unsatisfied.

I drank a little diet root beer after dinner. I think it made me bloated. I know sodas, diet or regular, are not great. I definately will work hard at avoiding them more.

I am going to start tracking my energy levels. I thought by now I would have more energy, but last night I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open after 9pm.

Energy @ Waking: Zero - wanted to crawl back in bed
    Energy in Evening: Good until about 10pm. Then pretty sleepy.

Food
    Morning:
    Morning:
    Coffee w/ Coconut "Crack" Creamer & 1 packets Stevia in the Raw
    4 Eggs (cooked in bacon fat)
    6 Breakfast Sausages (gluten free)

Lunch:
    Pot Roast
    2c. Romaine Salad w/ Bell Pepper, Sardines, EVOO & Red Wine Vinegar Dressing

Dinner:
    Steak
    1/2c. Frozsen Veggie mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot)
    1/2 a Atkins Almond Coconut bar (wanted something a little sweet)
    Last edited by mommyrunmommy; 01-11-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast