Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells - The perfect exercise or just a fad? page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

Kettlebells - The perfect exercise or just a fad?

Primal Fuel
    Seems that kettlebells are the latest greatest thing in the world of exercise, especially in the paleo/primal communities. However for myself, I had never even heard of them or seen anyone use one before discovering PB. Now after getting a chance to try them out I can say there does seem to be some benefit to using them. The thing is Im not sure that they are the be all end all of the exercise world like Pavel would want you to believe. Im curious what others really think about them. Is working out with them everything it claims to be or just marketing hype?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    No, it's just a fad. Everyone will be coming back to indian clubs any minute now.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    It's just a weight that is easier to handle in some situations than a dumbbell or something similar. The only thing that I find them useful for moreso than a DB are for Turkish get ups. BUT, that is the only exercise that I have done that I found them to be mo-bettah'. I guess kettlebell swings would be a good exercise to use them for, but I have never done them.
    It's a "fad" in the sense that they are a big deal right now but they will stick around as a tool for the future. I don't think you need to center your training around it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    I have used them almost exclusivly over the past couple of months. The will get you stronger and in shape in a good way both cardio and with muscle growth. They are not the end all be all though as most KB people claim. They cannot take over heavy deadlifts and other activites and most motions you can do with a dumbbell if you wanted too.

They are a great tool that will get you into some decent shape. But like EVERYTHING out there, you need to mix it up if you want to grow!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well, my grandfather had a huge kettlebell in his study, and that was my first encounter with weights evar! So, I blame my addiction to KB on my childhood memories.

I like KBs because how large, cool and crazy the movements are. I won't use kettlebells for straight lifting - I am a bar girl for that, but swings and snatches and other ballistic stuff is plain fun compared to the dumbell excersises. Yeah, I shadow-boxed with dumbells before but it wasn't the same wild coolness. With a KB it's easy to slip in the nerdish fantasy land and imagine that you are actually swinging a flail around (I guess dumbell can pass for a warhammer)... anyway, nerdish expose aside, I feel the ballistic coolness of KBs is a great suppliment to the deliberate, measured lifting of the really heavy stuff in the suat rack.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Having been using them for a few months now I would say they are an extremely good tool, better that one might think after seeing Jillian Michaels jump on the bandwagon. Not the be all and end all, but well worth it and far more useful the most of the machines currently lining gyms or collecting dust in people garages.

And anyway, what is the perfect tool? Bodyweight plus some rings maybe? Nothing else fits the bill as the be all and end all.

@Darth - I'm really keen to get/make myself a set of indian clubs.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

nick82 is offline Junior Member
    My introduction to KB's was with CrossFit which I started a few months ago. I have to say that KB exercises are probably my favorite exercises because they aren't high impact, they work the full body and all the stabilizer muscles (depending on what lift you do, especially Turkish Get ups). They have been around for a very long time, but have recently seen popularity. I would think they will have staying power with the fitness world. They are not the absolute best exercise implements to ever be devised, but they could absolutely be used entirely for a full body work out regimen. I'd only suggest using them for the first time under supervision of someone who understands KB fitness so that you don't hurt yourself, which is always possible when swinging heaving things around. My conclusion: They aren't a fad, I'd expect to see them around for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post

@Darth - I'm really keen to get/make myself a set of indian clubs.
    I was joking, but to be honest aside from how cool they look I don't see any reason to get KB or indian clubs over say cheap old sledgehammers. I do like the old timey pictures of guys swing clubs, but... meh.

(I even saw one guy making his own clubs by filling plastic wiffleball bats with sand, and lead shot.)

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    I was joking, but to be honest aside from how cool they look I don't see any reason to get KB or indian clubs over say cheap old sledgehammers. I do like the old timey pictures of guys swing clubs, but... meh.

(I even saw one guy making his own clubs by filling plastic wiffleball bats with sand, and lead shot.)
    I'd like a pair of clubs not for lifting, but for swinging and rotations to help with mobility so I would only need something like a 2lb pair. My shoulders are less mobile than they could be and clubs seem like a good way to work on that.

Also my 16kg kettlebell cost me less than a sledgehammer, and I think I can do more with it. Though I would still like to get a sledgehammer, different tools for different jobs.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    I'd like a pair of clubs not for lifting, but for swinging and rotations to help with mobility so I would only need something like a 2lb pair. My shoulders are less mobile than they could be and clubs seem like a good way to work on that.

Also my 16kg kettlebell cost me less than a sledgehammer, and I think I can do more with it. Though I would still like to get a sledgehammer, different tools for different jobs.
    I know a dude who had the 72kg kettle bells, not sure you could get a hammer that heavy.

Of course he was mostly a tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast