Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Carrot Cake? page

WVJungleMan is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

A relative of mine is having a birthday in a few days, and I've been looking for some primal carrot cake ideas. So far, the best I've found is this:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/carrot-cake/

w/this

http://www.elanaspantry.com/cream-cheese-frosting/

Anyone have any better recipes? Also, anyone have any ideas for a lower-carb replacement for the agave nectar? Granted, this is reasonable as is, but if there's something just as good w/less of a calorie hit, why not go w/it?

I'm not adverse to using stevia, btw, but I don't know how it will react in something like this.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've made stuff with Z-sweet (Erythritol) and it reacted well. I'm not much of a baker though.

Nick Guest

Normally, I'm completely strict. But I love to cook, and I love to cook dessert (even though nowadays it's mostly for other people), and I have to say, I'd just make a carrot cake, enjoy it, and have a small slice. However, if you really want to be primal and spread the good news via some food, here's my advice.

Those recipes on Elana's pantry are honestly worse for you than normal carrot cake probably. Grapeseed oil is a *huge* bomb of Omega-6 fats, and agave nectar is just the favorite of the raw food crowd, but I don't personally see how extracting that from an agave plant is any different from refining sugar from beets or sugarcane. And it's 90% fructose, which means it's even worse for insulin resistance, fatty liver disease, etc. It's essentially twice as bad for you as HFCS.

Assuming you're willing to use erythritol, as Diana pointed out, try adapting this recipe to be carrot cake and full sized:

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...grain-and.html

The coconut frosting could stand in for cream cheese frosting, or you could do a cream cheese frosting with erythritol or something. Just add in the cinnamon and nutmeg, shredded carrots, and raisins and walnuts (if you like those in carrot cake..I don't).

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i am more of a cook by nature but part of the trick to baking is understanding that i does require a certain amount of chemistry. you can't just substitute a dry ingredient for a wet one, etc. and sugar often does more than just sweeten. that being said, i think elana has some great recipes and she does a lot of the experimenting for us. but i don't agree with her [what i would say is] excessive use of agave. i would make her recipe with 2 subs. instead of grapeseed oil, why not use coconut oil [melt it first]? heck, you could even use butter for that matter. the important part is to include that amount of fat. they will all serve the same purpose.

second, i would sub the 1/2 cup of agave for 1/4 cup applesauce [this adds some sweetness and liquid] and 1/4 cup of either pure maple syrup [my preference] or unpasteurized honey. this will give you less sweetness and calories but should maintain the integrity of the recipe as a baked good.

as to the frosting....stick with the cream. include the cream cheese if you do dairy but get the best quality, full fat, organic stuff you can. again, with the agave, it is simple to sub in either maple syrup or honey. you'll still take a "hit" but at least it's primal. you could also try just a 1/4 cup to start and go from there. you could also just whip up some awesome quality heavy cream or buy creme fraiche and top each slice with that.

hope this helps. let us know what happens.

WVJungleMan is offline Junior Member

Wow! Thanks guys.

I've never used grapeseed oil, or even came across it in a recipe before, so thanks, Nick, for that tip (spreading the good news is exactly the idea).

I was worried mostly about the agave and what I could substitute there. That whole wet/dry thing was what was concerning me.

I've heard of, but never researched/used, erythritol before. Any thoughts before I dig too deep into my research?

lekressin Guest

what about Truvia this new sweetener that claims to be all natural, anyone know anything about it?

Tarlach is offline Member

Truvia is a mixture of stevia extract and erythritol and is a Coke product (expect to see diet Truvia Coke)

Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and is generally considered safe.

Sweeteners probably continue sugar addictions and Grok didn't have any of them. Personally I won't use any of them, but it's up to individuals to decide what they think is ok.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Yeah, I used Xylitol up until recently(my favorite so far), but I know it's a sugar alcohol (your body actually produces the stuff), but if you consume too much, like any sugar alcohol, you will have to run to the restroom a lot!

I really like the apple sauce and Maple Syrup idea. That's what I generally use and you get the same 'sweetness'.

Once I hit my maintenance (20 more lbs to go!) then I think the Maple Syrup and Applesauce combo will be best.

Primal_Pebbles Guest

Here's one from: http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/Recipes/CarrotCake.htm

"Cake

1 c almonds (soaked)

c dates (soaked)

1c carrot pulp

c carrot juice

1 grated carrot

1 T ginger

1 T orange zest

1 T lemon zest

1 t cinnamon

1 t nutmeg

c raisins

c walnuts or dry shredded coconut

1 t lemon juice

First if you don't have carrot juice and pulp, juice the carrots and get that part ready. Next put the almonds and dates in a food processor and grind fine, until it forms a ball. Put it in a bowl with the carrot juice, carrot pulp, spices, zests, lemon juice and grated carrot. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Add the raisins and walnuts or coconut. This is your carrot cake. Form a circle or square or shape of choice on the plate.

Icing

3/4c cashews (soaked)

2 dates (soaked)

1 orange (juiced)

1t orange zest

1-2T lemon juice

1/4 vanilla bean

Put all of these things in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Check to see if it tastes like heaven, if it does, move on. If it doesn't add more dates, more lemon, more cashews, whatever. When it's yummy, dump it on the cake. As for decoration use strawberries, raspberries, coconut, flowers, zest, spices you name it!"

I once made chocolate raw cupcakes using nuts and dates and you wouldn't even think it was raw. Dates add lots of natural sugar (not the best for you, but it's better than HFCS.)

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

Dates add lots of natural sugar (not the best for you, but it's better than HFCS.) </blockquote>

How do you figure that? Dates are 60%+ sugar. You may as well have half a cup of plain sugar...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast