Thread: cookies....what's for breakfast?! page

gaulshun is offline Junior Member

cookies....what's for breakfast?!

Shop Now
    Hello there everyone, I'm Italian and I'm just new with PB.

I'm having no problem at all avoiding pasta or bread or the likes of them so far, the only nuisance is that as far as my Italian background in concerned I still cannot get how to change my breakfast.

That is to say, I still cannot put my finger on the idea of having breakfast with eggs or bacon or other stuff like that and eliminating cookies or similar food I am so accustomed at.

Those morning 40 grams of cookies for breakfast are my only carbs in the whole day and yet though I'm brainstorming myself on finding some kind of substitution, I'm regrettfully finding no solution to the matter.

any suggestion?! please help me!

Borg is offline Junior Member
    Hi galushun, being on a primal diet doesn't necessarily mean that you have to eat only meat or eggs.. there are many recipes available online for "primal versions" of baked things like cookies, breads and cakes, so you can try out some of those. for example, you can make cookies and other baked foods from a different kind of "flour" that is actually ground nuts, seeds or coconut. If you are not a baker, you can try to check out a natural food store (here in Holland we have "eko- plaza" and "bio-markt", i don't know about in Italy though) and check out their "gluten free" breads section, where you will find a lot of rice bread and cookies probably, which is better than wheat cookies.

peril is offline Senior Member
    What about some sliced meats (eg salami) and cheese?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

But wasn't rice to be avoided too according to PB? even if much better than wheat one...

kiss is offline Senior Member
    If you like to bake, it's possible for you to make some sort of bread or pastry you can have for breakfast. Google Healthy Indulgences and you'll find a few recipes that are primal friendly. Also, check out All Day I Dream About Food. These are two of my favorite blogs for baking. Many of the recipes do call for some sweeteners that are in the "gray area" of what is allowed.
    Buon Appetito!
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    What about some fresh fruit for breakfast? Honestly, I don't think protein/meat HAS to be with every meal. I can be satisfied with some berries and coffee with lots of heavy whipping cream. Alternatively, making baked goods with coconut flour/almond flour/tapioca starch is always an option.

Thank you guys! those are great idea! and "kiss", thank you so much for those blogs! they are great!

Here in Italy coconut flour is really hard to find and almond flour comes only in small quantity packages. That way I should buy ten or more packs only to prepare one recipe.... I should buy almonds and ground them myself but I'm noticing those are hard to find too, unless at an enormous price...Italy really sucks for Primal feeding...

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    salami, cheese, pork chops, yogurt if you do dairy.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    John Belushi had a funny commercial bit on SNL (back in the early days of SNL when it was fresh and funny) where was training for the Olympics and hawking Little Chocolate Doughnuts breakfast of champions.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Also good for breakfast with a slap of butter on top...

SUPER MUFFINS

Ingredients:

3 cups of nuts (mixture of whatever you like, or have access to)
    1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds
    1 cup pitted dates, or even dried pineapple or mango(these both have lower sugar than the dates)
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Juice from 1 lemon
    1-2 tbsp lemon zest
    1/2 cup coconut flakes
    1-2 tbsp ginger(chopped or grated)
    1/3 cup almond flour
    2 eggs
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    1/4 cup molasses(i prefer using almond butter)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground Nutmeg
    I also like to add dark chocolate chips...Added bonus:-)
    Preheat oven to 325. Grease muffin pan(i use coconut oil for this). If you don't have a muffin pan, you can use a cookie sheet and just make a flat sheet and cut into squares when cooled.

Mix nuts/dates(or mango, pineapple) in a food processor, or blender if you don't have a processor. Chop until the mixture is chopped, but not too fine. Pour into a bowl, then add the other ingredients and mix well. This usually makes about 10-12 muffins. Scoop into tray, and bake until tops are brown(about 20-25 minutes). Let cool, eat and enjoy.