Thread: about 7 weeks in, lots of questions... page

the1sen is offline Junior Member

about 7 weeks in, lots of questions...

Primal Fuel
    Hello, my name is Joe and my wife is Mollie...

Our story is long, and we still need some help...

As a 35 year old male with zero sex drive, high body fat, high anxiety, absolutely no energy, cloudy mind, I was tested for low testosterone. My T test came back at about 230, which is kind of low. I was doing the treatment until recently. I have been feeling this way for as long as I can remember. Now that I put some thought into it, I've always had extremely high anxiety levels, and clouded thinking... even from early childhood.

My wife Mollie, a gorgeous, amazing, sweet, intelligent, happy, perfect 28 year old had zero sex drive, growing body fat, absolutely DEBILITATING energy levels, inability to concentrate, etc... She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about the same time I was diagnosed, and is undergoing treatment right now. She has been this way since she hit puberty.

After learning about this lifestyle from a dear friend, Mollie and I decided to go Primal. We began about 7 weeks ago. I was 191 pounds, Mollie was 117 pounds when we started.

At the beginning of the lifestyle change, we saw big improvements, and another friend of ours suggested I get tested for food sensitivities and food allergies because of the swelling, Psoriasis, and inflammation I experienced daily. Preposterous, I thought, but we figured it was only $400 for the test, so why not. I was SHOCKED.

I did an IgE test (for anaphylactic reactions) and am still waiting for the results. I did the IgG test (for delayed reactions) and we found out that I have severe sensitivities for 29 of the 96 foods they tested. Barley, cabbage, green beans, every kind of cheese, eggs (absolutely sucks), ginger, gluten, malt, milk, mushroom, mustard, oats, peas, peanuts, BLACK FREAKING PEPPER, white potatoes, rye, scallops, soy, tomatoes, watermelon, wheat, bakers yeast, brewers yeast, yogurt... Coincidentally, the Primal lifestyle eliminated most of the foods I was reacting to from the IgG test. I began to feel vast improvements once I eliminated the remaining offensive foods on the list from intake.

While I was at the doctor Monday discussing the test results, they mentioned I might have leaky gut, and subsequently started me on Probiotics. She also had me temporarily increase my Fish Oil intake to about 6 grams per day to help with all the inflammation I am experiencing.

Monday, we found out that hypothyroidism can POSSIBLY be caused by food sensitivities/allergies, so Mollie got tested the other day. We're eagerly waiting for her results.

We were just reading here, and saw this:

"Could you list, in order of importance, what foods to eliminate from the diet for autoimmune conditions like hypothyroidism and psoriasis?

Grains, legumes, dairy, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers) most nuts & seeds (coconut ok). If you are really sick, cook all vegetable matter thoroughly, peel most vegetables and recognize that an almost total animal product diet may be necessary until you are well."

It is soul-crushing to lose all these "Primal approved" foods, now, out of necessity, for healthy living. At the same token, we are both willing to do anything and everything it takes to get well. We continuously ask each other when a moment like this comes up: "how far are you prepared to go?" and the answer is always, "as far as it needs to go until we are better, and beyond."

As it stands now, Mollie weighed in at 109 at the doctor's office a week ago, 8 pounds less than she began at, and I weighed in at 171 at the doctor's office last Monday, 20 pounds less than I began at. All within 7 weeks. We are supporting each other through the "bad food" cravings and sugar cravings. I really can't indulge at all because of all the food sensitivities I've got. We have a couple of "sort of" legal indulgences: Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream from Trader Joe's, and dark chocolate... but we eat them both very sparingly to be honest.

Lots of questions at this point:

1. why do we feel hungry/unfulfilled after eating, or shortly after eating? Lack of water intake?

2. While we both are experiencing higher energy levels at this point, we are both still not able to exercise as much as the Primal lifestyle requires. A day with exercise means 2-3 days rest... We are both experiencing this. How long does it take for energy levels to raise high enough to accommodate this?

3. Now that I am down at 170, a weight I previously thought would be ok for me, I realize I should be about 145-150 optimally... How long should I give myself to break the 170 threshold I've been maintaining?

4. Hypothyroidism... anyone here have experience beating theirs by going Primal? Can you share your challenges, results, ideas, impressions, or a link?

5. Psoriasis... anyone here have experience beating theirs by going Primal? Can you share your challenges, results, ideas, impressions, or a link?

Sorry for the inordinately long post, and if you've gotten this far, thanks for caring.

Best of health to everyone.

Joe & Mollie

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Hi,
    I can't answer all of your questions, but one thing first, read some of the blog-posts on - Jack Kruse. He has written some very eyeopening posts on food, leaky gut, hyperthyroid etc etc. Very difficult reads but mind-blowing.
    If you still feel hungry after meals I can only suggest for Mollie to add more fat, as in eating coconut oil off a spoon. I do this 3 times daily and I never feel hunger. As for you, I'd up the protein but go a bit more modest on the fat.
    About the exercise: don't push yourself until you are better. You both have massive issues to deal with here, your bodies need to heal and repair. Trust me when I say that the urge, desire and need to go hard with the sprints and weights will come as your body is in a better place. It did for me. It was like I woke up one day and just had to lift heavy and run fast. Very odd.
    I think 7 weeks might jot be enough time o heal to get to that point where you have soaring energy levels.
    I was going to say leaky gut myself. I have it too, but only 2-3 foods I'm allergic to now. I saw a naturopath, as leaky gut is a precursor for autoimmune disease like diabetes type 2. I'm already pre-disposed through genetics, so I am desperate to cure my leaky gut.
    I'm on a high dose of wild salmon oil, I take zinc, glucosamine, magnesium and a large dose of probiotics daily. Someone else here suggested bovine colostrum. You should also move lots, like walking daily. I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey to better health.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the1sen View Post
    2. While we both are experiencing higher energy levels at this point, we are both still not able to exercise as much as the Primal lifestyle requires. A day with exercise means 2-3 days rest... We are both experiencing this. How long does it take for energy levels to raise high enough to accommodate this?
    Who says you have to "exercise" any more than that?

3. Now that I am down at 170, a weight I previously thought would be ok for me, I realize I should be about 145-150 optimally... How long should I give myself to break the 170 threshold I've been maintaining?
    Lift brutally heavy ass weights.

5. Psoriasis... anyone here have experience beating theirs by going Primal? Can you share your challenges, results, ideas, impressions, or a link?
    Avoid grains. The lectins may be causing gut permeability issues. Brown rice did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Who says you have to "exercise" any more than that?
    I've been reading on the site here and it says walking for 2-5 hours per week is optimal.

Thanks!!! Will do!

Avoid grains. The lectins may be causing gut permeability issues. Brown rice did it for me.
    We don't eat any grain. At all. I am allergic to ALL of them, minus rice, and we don't eat rice. The post Mark had up that I listed in my long ass post said this:

"Could you list, in order of importance, what foods to eliminate from the diet for autoimmune conditions like hypothyroidism and psoriasis?

Grains, legumes, dairy, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers) most nuts & seeds (coconut ok). If you are really sick, cook all vegetable matter thoroughly, peel most vegetables and recognize that an almost total animal product diet may be necessary until you are well."

and hence, my question was directed toward that front.
    Last edited by the1sen; 08-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Hi,
    I can't answer all of your questions, but one thing first, read some of the blog-posts on - Jack Kruse. He has written some very eyeopening posts on food, leaky gut, hyperthyroid etc etc. Very difficult reads but mind-blowing.
    THANK YOU!!!

Edit: wow, I searched his site for hypothyroid, and hypothyroidism, and even just thyroid, and couldn't find anything.

If you still feel hungry after meals I can only suggest for Mollie to add more fat, as in eating coconut oil off a spoon. I do this 3 times daily and I never feel hunger. As for you, I'd up the protein but go a bit more modest on the fat.
    We will try it. Thanks!

About the exercise: don't push yourself until you are better. You both have massive issues to deal with here, your bodies need to heal and repair. Trust me when I say that the urge, desire and need to go hard with the sprints and weights will come as your body is in a better place. It did for me. It was like I woke up one day and just had to lift heavy and run fast. Very odd.
    I think 7 weeks might jot be enough time o heal to get to that point where you have soaring energy levels.
    Understood and noted, we will monitor it... I do trust you - things have really been weirdly coming on like that for us lately, so I'm sure there will be more weirdness.

I was going to say leaky gut myself. I have it too, but only 2-3 foods I'm allergic to now. I saw a naturopath, as leaky gut is a precursor for autoimmune disease like diabetes type 2. I'm already pre-disposed through genetics, so I am desperate to cure my leaky gut.
    I'm on a high dose of wild salmon oil, I take zinc, glucosamine, magnesium and a large dose of probiotics daily. Someone else here suggested bovine colostrum. You should also move lots, like walking daily. I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey to better health.
    I will try to get conditioned to walk daily. It's 117˚ here in Phoenix, and boy does that suck to go walking in. LOL
    Last edited by the1sen; 08-29-2011 at 11:06 AM.