Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard can one workout on low carbs? page

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hi all,

I have been relatively primal but quite low carb for about 7 days or so. I get really dizzy and am quite tired most of the time, but I wonder if some good hard exercise will help wake my system up. On higher carbs I exercised 6 days a week with quite a bit of cardio, but I have never lifted heavy in my life, so I worry about form, injury etc. My biggest question is, how hard can one on low carbs work out? Can I do 20 minute intervals on the beach, can I push myself to my limit and still be able to function for the rest of the day? I work nearly 7 days a week, so I need some energy left over. Any suggestions or personal experience would be most helpful!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Very, very hard. Many of us do intense sprint and heavy lifting workouts regularly.

It's normal to feel low on energy for the first several weeks of eating low-carb. I had a rather severe case of the so-called "low-carb flu" but continued with my intense workouts, and it didn't hurt me a bit. Having half a piece of fruit with some almond butter first helped.

Others wait until the weak phase passes before working out hard. Either way is probably fine.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Griff is offline Senior Member

Right now you're in what's called the low-carb flu phase. Eventually you will be able to work out without needing carbs.

But I'd advise you to take note of Mark's advice about chronic working out, too. It's as bad for you as low-fat starvation dieting is.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Took me about a month to adjust to it and be able to do my work-outs without crashing.

Accipiter Circus Guest

Many Crossfitters do some very intense workout and a lot of them are working on very low-carb diets

Katt is offline Senior Member

Oddly enough, I don't remember going through the 'low carb flu' phase.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I guess you can... but from personal experience I've found that I need some carbs to lift really heavy. 150 grams a day does it for me - still within primal bounds. Some don't agree with me, but whatever. If your lifting is suffering, don't hesitate to include carbs in your diet.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mr B Guest

Purely anecdotal, but some of my best lifts have been done in the last couple of months...all on low-to-zero carb eating.

Tarlach is offline Member

I&#39;m another, going hard on almost ZC. I don&#39;t find carbs helpful at all for my lifting.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

g2baker is offline Member

If you need the energy you should hold back just a bit until you adjust. I definitely went through the low carb flu, it was bad. I can&#39;t even imagine working out hard. Do what you can do, listen to your body. If you don&#39;t have the energy do something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast