Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Primal Girls with experience on longer IF'ing? page

Nocciola is offline Member

Any Primal Girls with experience on longer IF'ing?

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing 16hr to 20-24 hr fasts regularly, and I am happy with that system, but extremely curious about the posts here regarding longer fasting once a week, 40hrs, and the science behind it.

The problem is, I want to start today but I'm 2 days away from my period and I know for me personally my body tends to hang on a lot harder at this time, and I'm not quite sure how the fluctuation in hormones, and fasting, and leptin, and all that stuff will combine and if it would still provide the same benefits as it would any other time of the month?

I work out 6 out of 7 days a week usually, would plan on taking it easier till Tues if I do this but just curious if I should hold off due to any hormonal blocks? Any advice?

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you should just do a longer fast out of curiosity. I did a 40hr fast a few weeks back but it was for a charity event - 40 hr famine. I did well with no issues except a couple of times hunger pains.

Well, it is more to test the science behind it...in regards to Pklops posts on longer IFing once a week....if it really does help boost metabolism etc. It is definitely not something I want to just do willy-nilly, and I feel like having gone so long already without carbs and sugars I don't really have those same spikes in hunger/crashing/etc.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    There is a series of articles on fasting you might find helpful (scroll to the bottom of this one for the other articles in this 6 part series)
    Part 1: What Happens To Your Body When You Fast?

From what I've read, most of the benefits of fasting occur between the 12 and 24 hour mark. I don't know that fasting for longer than 24 hours would be beneficial, and actually might be harmful (wasting muscle, etc). I personally don't choose to do any longer than a 16 hour fast (I feel the benefits of that are enough for what I'm seeking, when I choose to do so.) Good luck figuring out what works for you.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried it yet, so I will be curious to hear your experience. 20-21 hours has been my max so far.

I definitely would wait until after your menses. Much easier to deal with hunger/ghrelin when the hormones are less volatile.

Paleobird Guest
    I don't see any harm in giving it a try. I did a 48 hour fast a while back but I think that was the limit of how far I would push it. It really felt good though. No advice on the TOM aspect, being past that stage of life myself.

croí is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually getting ready to do a 40 hour fast like Pk suggests on Tuesday. Dinner Monday night, and then again Wednesday night. For me, I don't have many issues during my TOM.. so I'm not sure how to answer that. But Pk suggests that once we have the 24hr fast down, we can try a 40hr fast once a week, max. I'm going to try it because it appears that I have stalled, and I want to jump it up a bit to see where it takes me.

Well I didn't make it through today ate healthy primal dinner of zucchini and ground beef and a broccoli stir fry....being couped up all weekend with the hurricane made me insanely stir-crazy and I think I'll give it a try later this week after the cycle starts, when I have a more normal schedule other than being stuck in the house with a raging storm outside....I'll let you know how it goes. I am curious if it jumpstarts something, im just at my last 5 pounds to lose and it is slooooow going so I just wanted to see if there was any benefit to adding this once a week, or less, just to test it out. back on to normal IF'ing now though. If anyone else has done this and has any advice or results to share, I would love to know!

croí is offline Senior Member
    Hey there! I just wanted to point out a discovery... kinda like a face-palm thing. I got real used to drinking flavored carbon water, to fill the void of my diet soda habit. Now, I did drink this during my fast, and always a a bit of a hunger pain through out the day. Today, I decided to get rid of the carbon water to see if I could accelerate the fat loss because I have stalled. And to my surprise, the hunger pangs are gone! **Insert face-palm here.** So, in my findings... I'm only going to stick to straight water while fasting since I'm not a big tea/coffee fan. I think this may help as I push for a 40 hour fast on Tuesday. Heck, I may even do that fast tonight since I don't feel so hungery!

Let me know how it goes! I am on day 2, will have my "break-fast" sometime late afternoon I think, but it is true the second day is so much easier. I was only really bothered by hunger yesterday being around other people's take-out food (which I wouldn't have eaten anyway but it smelled damn good) and right around the time I normally would eat - dinner - but after 7pm I didn't really notice and I feel fine today, just coffee this morning.

I think it will make a difference in the over-all week's composition changes. Cycle be damned!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast