Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leptin reset & adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Leptin reset & adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue

Primal Fuel
    Hi there everyone,
    I posted this in the "Leptin reset experiment" thread but I thought I'd post it here as well.
    I have a whole lot of problems and I'm very curious if I'm leptin resistant and if getting this worked out could solve the cascade of imbalances that seems to be gripping my body. I'll include as much info as I can think to but I'm dealing with a lot of brain fog so please excuse all grammar issues, ramblings, and forgotten information. Any help, thoughts or insights would be beyond appreciated. I've never been this sick before and feel like I'm spinning.

I'm 27 yr old female, 5'7, 135 lbs up from 120lbs in 8 months. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, hypothyroid, and adrenal fatigue. I'm a wreck and am barely living. 5 years ago I was in a car accident that shut off my hypothalamus and my cycle disappeared. Yes we played around with hormones to kick it back on but they crippled me. In the 11-hour, after 3 years of boneless amongst other thing, last Oct 2010 my periods came back indicating the hypothalamus was ready to play again. After 3 months of normal pleasant cycles the PMS became crippling and intense fatigue took over. 3 weeks out of every month I was hammered. At the beginning of the year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I was put on Synthroid and the doc would not consider testing rT3 or bioidentical hormones (thus Amour) and just kept upping the dose and told me to take an antidepressant.

I recently stopped seeing this doctor and started going to the Holtorf Medical Center. My tests showed as follows:

Free T4: 1.09 (0.82-1.77)
    TSH: 0.888 (0.450-4.500)
    rT3: 183 (90-350)
    Free T3: 2.1 (2.0-4.4)
    Progesterone: >10 (>10-17 or 2555 depending on the type of month but mine was so low they could not read it.)
    Ferritin: 43 (13-150)
    IGF01: 296 (117-329)
    Cortisol (blood test in the am!) 23 (8.0-19)
    Fibrin: abnormal

We're retesting in 3 weeks. I'm on bioidentical hormones. I'm up to 20 mcg T3 building up to 30 but we had to stop for 3 days while I take 5mg cortisol because my adrenals were not handling the T3 well. I take 100 mg progesterone and then 5mg melatonin for sleep. I'm on many supplements from his office too.

I've been reading "Mastering Leptin" Dr. Kruse's blog, and this thread and I have one major problem with doing this:
    My digestion is terrible. I react to many things including meat, dairy and eggs. Proteins and fats are very difficult for me to digest and I'm using enzymes and probiotics the doctor gave me. Needless to say eating meat causes me to gag right now. I've been considering the GAPS diet at this point but just don't know how to eat or what. I'm so lost and exhausted. I was doing LC paleo but just had to start eating what I could. That being said I don't eat grains, legumes, sugar, or potatoes but I do love winter squash and kombucha has been a lifesaver. My fruit intake is limited to berries. I do use a raw rice protein powder and amazing grass greens for smoothies that have been a lifesaver. I also use a powder the doctor gave me designed to heal the gut called "Gut Healing Max." I put frozen spinach in it and it's about the only thing that doesn't get my insides up in arms.
    My mother just came to visit to help. I'm able to work with home now and am making sleep a priority.
    I feel certain that my lymph system is clogged, liver is struggling, and leptin is out of whack. I don't feel like I'm that hypoglycemic but have not actively tried to eat only 3 meals a day 5-6 hours apart either. I don't know what to do about the huge protein intake required for both leptin rebooting and to give the T3 something else to eat other than my muscles.
    Again any thoughts on the mightily conundrum would be just wonderful right about now.
    Thank you so much for sharing your journeys. It's been encouraging and thought provoking to say the least.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I am hypo and have had a bout with adrenal fatigue, bad joint pain and terrible gut issues too. The leptin reset itself didn't suit me, but strict paleo did, as well as figuring out what within the allowable paleo foods was causing issues. I have found I have to cut out nightshades except a little tomato paste (for the achiness), FODMAPs foods for the tummy issues, although I have kept dairy with big doses of lactase whenever I have any. I do need to keep my carbs below the 100g mark to feel good - this is not a weightloss issue for me at this point, I tend to feel crappy and be more prone to migraine with them higher. I also watch my omega 6s quite rigorously because I tend to feel tired and yucky if I overdo on them.

I imagine you may have to play around a bit to find out what suits you.

Regarding protein, keeping mine up high is something I have really needed to do - around 100g a day. If you are having a hard time with meat, eggs and dairy, it does make it hard to keep protein up. Have you tried dairy with lactaid? If you do try, try yogurt or well aged cheese first - it has less lactose.

Leptin reset has worked for some but not others, so give it a try, but if it is not the right thing, feel free to try other things.

You say you have a few things that are good go-tos right now - I would stay with them and be careful about introducing things that you have a bad feeling about. Case in point - my stomach has been a bit worse than usual the last few days, and I have added a different brand of supplement and
    been drinking a lot of decaf coffee - I think it may be a combo of the 2 that are responsible for it. I will pull them both and reintroduce seperately to figure it out.

I look at it like one big jigsaw puzzle!

One last thought on eggs: I can eat yolks but not whites - it may be worth checking out if you can tolerate the yolks - they are very nutritious.

Good luck on the journey and keep us informed.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I would absolutely add in the bone broth recommended in the GAPS diet (to work on healing your gut), even possibly try out the GAPS intro (since your diet is so limited already). Although with your other limitations, I might just start by adding in the broth to see if it helps digestion of the foods you currently tolerate and maybe some new ones. (You probably don't want to risk losing more weight by cutting out more foods al la GAPS intro, I'm guessing.)

Would you mind sharing even more details on your current diet? Do you eat anything other than the rice protein powder, amazing greens smoothies, berries and frozen spinach? What do you use for liquid in the smoothies? What about blending up your meats into soups? Could that help your digestion of them? What about adding fermented veggies (or fermented veggie juice) along with kombucha to any meat/fat containing meals to help you w/ digestion?

Good luck!!! Sorry I don't have more to share, but I hope you get some helpful advice!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I found I can't tolerate most supplements, including probiotics. For ages I followed the recommendations of docs and others, but I finally figured out that I had to test absolutely everything and take nothing for granted. My go-to food is a stew made with a bony cut of meat. I'm still working on it, but am getting clearer about what helps and what hurts. Good luck on your own hunt for health!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Is it within your means to see a good naturopathic physician -- someone who really understands the (very) complex interplay of what's happening with you? It is in this endocrine/autoimmune arena where NDs really do shine. I tried for years to fix myself, but there was just too much. When I finally broke down and went to a naturopath, I was surprised/sort of disgusted at myself how quickly she patched me up.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Is it within your means to see a good naturopathic physician -- someone who really understands the (very) complex interplay of what's happening with you? It is in this endocrine/autoimmune arena where NDs really do shine. I tried for years to fix myself, but there was just too much. When I finally broke down and went to a naturopath, I was surprised/sort of disgusted at myself how quickly she patched me up.
    Yes thank you for this. I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately. Do you have any recommendations as to how to find one, a good one? I've spent so much money and have no insurance and am just spinning. I don't want to waste any more time or money with the someone who can't see the whole picture. I'm currently living in LA but am heading to northern CA for a month or more to recover (my family lives near San Francisco in the countryside.) Does anyone have any recommendations for any natruropaths in northern or southern CA?

I also just read about consuming colostrum to help heal leaky gut. Does anyone know anything about dosage?
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Gosh I feel like I'm bouncing all over the place trying to find what works, then going back to see if I was wrong and then going all around again. To be clear I've GAINED 15lbs since the beginning of the year. Not worried about loosing it. In fact not stressing about that has been very difficult given how few of my clothes fit but I know that is the last thing to deal with and can't even think about until the other stuff is squared away.
    I'm just starting to play with fermented veggies. I just had sauerkraut with some sliced ham to see if I could do it and I feel sick to my stomach and bloated. I think it's the meat though. I am definitely hypoglycemic which is a very strange reality given I could go hours without food before without that kind of anxiety gripping me.
    I eat coconut butter, dried coconut and coconut oil but not a lot at a time because it sits like a lead weight in my belly. Most things do. I'm constipated all of the time (TMI I'm so sorry Winter squash like baked kombocha makes me very happy but then I get bloated too. I can't figure out how many carbs is too much. They are definitely easier on the system right now but not by much. I was doing yogurt because that didn't upset my stomach but it made me crave more and more and that to me isn't a good sign. I'm going to try just egg yolks and see how I handle that. I have seed crackers that go in fine but I wonder if they stop my gut from moving properly too. I have to cook the heck out of veggies but have not always been the best about this and bloat immediately. Yea...this is all over the map. It is daily. Kombucha makes me feel better. Fortunately I don't crave sweets now and the more I read about the gaps diet and bone broths the more convinced I am that this is where I need to go for now. Oh I did eat lox today, 4 oz, and that went in well:-) I've tried so many things but nothing that is constantly tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    I would absolutely add in the bone broth recommended in the GAPS diet (to work on healing your gut), even possibly try out the GAPS intro (since your diet is so limited already). Although with your other limitations, I might just start by adding in the broth to see if it helps digestion of the foods you currently tolerate and maybe some new ones. (You probably don't want to risk losing more weight by cutting out more foods al la GAPS intro, I'm guessing.)

Would you mind sharing even more details on your current diet? Do you eat anything other than the rice protein powder, amazing greens smoothies, berries and frozen spinach? What do you use for liquid in the smoothies? What about blending up your meats into soups? Could that help your digestion of them? What about adding fermented veggies (or fermented veggie juice) along with kombucha to any meat/fat containing meals to help you w/ digestion?

Good luck!!! Sorry I don't have more to share, but I hope you get some helpful advice!

I've just eaten organic non-antibiotic ham and sauerkraut and I'm burning hot, bloated, my heart is pounding and my blood pressure has plummeted. What is going on??

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I'm at work right now, so I can't write at length or check into some things for you in NorCal (I have a couple of ideas and contacts, as I previously lived there) .... BUT I'll tell you that of all the things I had wrong (adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism, leaky gut, lupus, just plain feeling achy all over), my naturopath ran a lot of tests .... and tackled the leaky gut first.

Fortunately, this is something you can get started on right now on your own, before you can see somebody.

You can definitely start with the bone broths, now. She put me on bovine colostrum and a multi-species probiotic supplement with 25+ billion CFUs (see brand below).

The bovine colostrum is Surthrival brand. It's expensive, but it's the high-end stuff .... first milking from grass-fed cows. It comes in a powdery form, looks like old-fashioned coffee creamer. You asked about dosage. Take as much as you want, big spoonfuls. It's delicious. It's not possible to take too much of the stuff. Can't say enough good things about bovine colostrum. I did find a way to get it at cost, so I bought a lot, but I'm almost certain that deal is no longer running (but I will check).

The probiotic the naturopath was particular about me getting is called Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic Complete. It must remain refrigerated and is shipped in a cold pack.

More later. Hang in there!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post

My digestion is terrible. I react to many things including meat, dairy and eggs. Proteins and fats are very difficult for me to digest and I'm using enzymes and probiotics the doctor gave me. I don't eat grains, legumes, sugar, or potatoes but I do love winter squash and kombucha has been a lifesaver. My fruit intake is limited to berries. I do use a raw rice protein powder and amazing grass greens for smoothies that have been a lifesaver. I also use a powder the doctor gave me designed to heal the gut called "Gut Healing Max." I put frozen spinach in it and it's about the only thing that doesn't get my insides up in arms. .
    Sorry you are dealing with so many frustrations at once and glad to hear your mom is there to help. Sleep is vitally important to helping your adrenals. My digestion was a mess last year with severe intestinal cramping, brain fog, fatigue, forgetfulness, I had a horrible lack of motivation so did not exercise and couldn't concentrate enough even to read so the days were long and fruitless. I couldn't eat anything remotely fibrous like broccoli, peas or salads. First I got rid of the intestinal cramping by cutting out all carbonated drinks and any alcohol or caffeine. I had several doctors and none of them helped me and were rather closed minded so I had to work this out alone.

Next, I found my way to a naturopath and could finally talk to someone who gave me answers to all of my questions before I could even ask them. Digestion and hormones is their specialty and I highly recommend you see one if at all possible, you will get quick answers sometimes as quickly as in only 2 sessions. My brother does not have insurance and needed a doctor so I took him to my naturopath. The first visit cost him a little over $100, the second cost $75 and they sometimes offer payment plans because insurance won't cover alot of what they do anyway and they understand most patients are paying out of pocket. After that he said they could communicate via email so he wouldn't have to come in and pay for another visit.

I can't speak to thyroid issues so maybe my experience will not be useful to you and I really feel you need to get that worked out as soon as possible, which they can help you with also. The naturopaths have great tests and lots of experience. In the meantime, you've got to eat and not having anything to eat can be scary, I can sympathize.

My naturopath put me on L-glutamine +FOS powder right away to help heal my gut. The powder contains 2.5g L-glutamine per serving and he advised me to take it 3 times a day at first, then after a few weeks, to ween off it as I felt my gut getting better. I am going to make my first bone broth soon, too. He agreed it was good to cut out the grains, sugars, legumes and focus on meats, veggies and small amounts of carbs like berries, squash, jicima and other low glycemic choices. I feel sweet potatoes are not that bad carbwise as long as I don't eat a whole one in one sitting. I usually nuke one up, then divide it among my meals throughout the day. As for my adrenal fatigue, my naturopath recommended salt. I never added salt to anything before that and just learned today that iodized salt can be important when primal (if you don't use kelp) so it's win/win. I do not know what the proper advice would be to use iodine when you have thyroid issues though so I would strongly advise to look into that FIRST before trying. The other thing he gave me was something bovine for my adrenals, let me know if you have more questions about that.

The other issue I have been having, and I don't know why yet, is that my brain fog can come back when I eat certain proteins, especially ham, dairy products and whey protein. I think either they are highly insulinogenic or I just am not digesting them well. I did find that if I use my Rainbow Light Advanced Enzyme System I can tolerate these proteins much easier without brain fog. My proteins now are tuna, liver, chicken, eggs, pork, salmon, frozen turkey sausages, bacon, beef. I found dairy flares my arthritis and general body pains so I cut it back to yogurt very rarely, small servings of hard cheese, ghee. for carbs I use sweet potatoes and small servings of rice with coconut oil. I use coconut oil on everything I can, olive oil sometimes. I also found I cannot use probiotic pills because they bring back my intestinal cramps. I have constipation and believe that the sweet potatoes and my daily magnesium help a great deal with that. Have you seen the new Synergy kombucha with chia in the grocery stores? If you can tolerate chia seeds, this has done wonders for my constipation, you may want to give it a try, I love the cherry flavor.

Coconut also sits in my gut so I minimize my coconut milk to 1/4 cup now over berries. I deal with the "light" version much better than the full fat. And I do find that an apple, pear, plum or cherries make my day better. some other things you might try are avocado or canned pureed pumpkin, applesauce or even organic all natural baby foods.
    Last edited by Goldstar; 08-28-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast