Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your choice of footwear for weight training page

jpatrickclark is offline Member

Your choice of footwear for weight training

Primal Fuel
    I am reading that Chuck Taylors or other flat, hard soled shoes are best for weight training. I do own a couple pair of Chucks. So, I can start wearing those to the gym. But, I'm curious what kinds of footwear others like.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I prefer my VFFs.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I prefer my VFFs.
    I have been looking at those online. I would be really interested in trying them, but I can't really shell out $90-$100 for shoes right now. But, I can see how those would be a great weight training choice.

DSR84 is offline Member
    A lot of people are going to say bare feet or close to it is best, and I agree to some extent, but it takes a lot of work to get to that point. If you want to strength train, wear what allows you to maximize your training while addressing any mobility issues you may have on the side. I find it hard to get a good, fully compressed squat in my bare feet, so I wear my trainers (some Sauconies I bought forever ago) when I do those so I can get some good reps in, but I am working on that issue to hopefully do all that stuff barefoot or at least minimally shod.

Quote Originally Posted by DSR84 View Post
    A lot of people are going to say bare feet or close to it is best, and I agree to some extent, but it takes a lot of work to get to that point. If you want to strength train, wear what allows you to maximize your training while addressing any mobility issues you may have on the side. I find it hard to get a good, fully compressed squat in my bare feet, so I wear my trainers (some Sauconies I bought forever ago) when I do those so I can get some good reps in, but I am working on that issue to hopefully do all that stuff barefoot or at least minimally shod.
    Well, I suppose that's the nice thing about the VFFs. Those are about as close as you can get to being barefoot without actually being barefoot.

DSR84 is offline Member
    I have a funky foot shape and can't wear VFFs, so I wouldn't know. I have some other minimalist shoes (huaraches), and I have the same problem in those.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I switch back and forth from a regular Nike to my Altra Zero Drop ... depending on what I am doing that day. All the leg press sleds in the gym I use have a bracket attached to the sled plate like this _| ... to keep anyone from forgetting to push from the middle of the heel and not flat footed. It's not exactly comfy with the Zero Drop shoes. Squats, deadlifts, pull-downs, etc. I want my Zero Drops for the balance.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    MErrell Trail Gloves

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    I walk barefoot to the gym where I put on my VFFs

Beebster is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recommend Inov-8 F-Lite 230's. I picked up a pair last week to replace a worn out pair of Nike Free's and I will never go back. The Inov-8's are awesome!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast