Thread: Kettlebells page

Lovinglife is offline Junior Member

Kettlebells

As posted in my intro., I am a 67 yr. old woman. Walk, started squats and lunges, wall pushups,(forget the pull ups-just hung till I dropped, lol.) Want to use a kettlebell so what weight would I start at 2.5 and how high would I ever go? Don't really want to join a gym, etc. Thanks for imput.

bteam is offline Junior Member
    I would recommend that you start out with an 8kg bell.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    and find a trainer. It is easy to damage yourself with balistic exercises and even easier to use them in such a way as to not work what is supposed to be worked. A few sessions with a good trainer should get you on the right track.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    8 lbs kettlebell is the lightest.
    Why do you want to do a kettlebell in particular? Do you have good coordination/reflexes? Dumbells are generally a cheaper entry option and are suitable for all the classic endurance or strength excersises. I would only go into kettlebells for the dynamic advantage, for the movements like overhead snatch, swings etc. Are you sure that is what you are looking for?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thank you for this info. Helpful.

You are so right! There is a trainer here in Calgary so why take a risk. Thanks.

neandertal is offline Member
    use kb for cardio ie sprint HIIT sessions,

ge a bb and some weights prolly a bench and racks and do wieght lifting

although it may seem like it kbs even light will fatigue you in a way strenght training will become difficult great for dynamic strenght and endurance, working muscles not so much.

I would join a gym just for a while to look at people get to know some ideas and movements and build up a home gym and then you can do it on your own in home training is very limiting I would not reccomend it
    Biotivia
    Transmax
    BioForge
    BioForge Pro Max Phase II
    BioQuench

workout4ever is offline Junior Member
    I would say that you should go for a 8 kilo kettlebell, if you see a trainer you should maybe purchase a 12 or 16 kg too, cause when you learn the right swing technique you will easily outgrow the 8 kilo when doing 2-hand swings. The 8kg should get you a long way tough. The swing is a great exercise for fitness and fat loss!
    Visit my website about fitness and health, would love some input .

http://www.workout4ever.com

celticman is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    KBs are good, but, they don't provide anything regular weights don't offer except for an increased chance for injury. Dr. Gregory Ellis got kicked off of the Dragon Door site for mentioning they're essentially an accident waiting to happen and even Clarence Bass wrote "I also found that the swing is harder on the lower back than the snatch." I'd have to agree...keeping your core tight or not, the physics can't be denied: at the apex of the swing, the KB can generate 4 - 8x the force of the weight. And you can't prevent that force from being transferred into your spine.

Dr. Doug McGuff has some interesting observations on ballistics, safety and training...well worth checking out. At 67, my $.02 is you should be training for the long run and that means safety. Use a KB for Turkish get-ups, one legged deadlifts and other movements that allow for control, but, avoid the ballistics.