Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating without power page

Ellsass is offline Junior Member

Eating without power

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to primal. I'm also in the path of Hurricane Irene and have found myself without power (so I can't cook), lots of wind and rain (so I can't grill), and limited fridge/freezer access (don't want to put something back in lest is spoils other food).

What should I eat? I have a good supply of fruits for the moment, but that would mean too much 'sugar' and not enough protein. Any tips?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    fruits and nuts and cheese I would say for now. You can keep cheese out for a while without it spoiling. If you had jerky that would be great too. Some veggies may be ok if they were kept out for a bit too, like carrots and celery.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Paleobird Guest
    How about a candlelight sushi dinner?

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Cook up some cuts of meat before the power goes out, along with veggies. A good thick stew will last a couple of days with minimal TLC. Ice chests can keep things cold for a remarkably long time, especially if covered with blankets or other insulators. Cook over a fire in the back yard, camp style. Get some extra propane for the BBQ, or pick up a camp stove that takes canister propane, to cook on.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Keeping some canned tuna/salmon/mackerel on hand is always useful for an emergency protein source. Doesn't need refrigeration or cooking, so it's good for when you're in a hurry, AND when the power goes out.

primal dream is offline Junior Member
    I'm in the greater Albany area too. I have lots of food in the house, but it dawned on me last night that most of it needs cooking. So I feel your pain.

However, I did have power this morning so I fixed a big egg/bacon/avocado breakfast. then no power.

So here's what I have: cheese. ripe tomatoes. basil in my herb garden (if I feel brave enough to go out there -- doubtful the way it looks now), evoo. I have canned sardines and salmon. I have some coconut milk in the fridge, so I'll take some berries and macadamias from the freezer, a square of dark chocolate to chop, and the coconut milk for a treat.

The canned fish will save the day, I'm glad I had some on hand.

Next time I will plan better.

darkfault is offline Junior Member
    If all else fails. You could fast for a day or two.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    OP you don't have power but you're on the internet? I guess you're on it thru your phone? After Ike, we didn't have power for 11 miserable days. I ate all the canned fish we had in the house.

after it stops raining, maybe you can grill. I know everyone here in houston was grilling every damn thing they had, it smelled great!

Other than buying a lot of alcohol and mixed drink fixings, my hurricane preparation was making a bunch of coffee ahead of time (i drank it cold w/ milk), and i also ground up a lot of beans ahead of time so i could have french press coffee with water heated up on the propane grill.

we found out that having a really good cooler is key - that was basically our "fridge" during the 2nd week. We had a coleman, i think, at the time, but now we have a yeti so bring it, hurricane!

as power slowly came back on around town, we ate out a lot too. Which sucked.

bottom line, other than canned fish, i honestly can't remember what i ate. It was awful. So hot and humid and cold showers. I don't know how people lived here w/o electricity. They were some tuff mofos. It was having to go to work in those conditions that really totally sucked. You cannot imagine how happy i was the day the power came back on!

People in Florida & Lousiana get it worse re: hurricanes and general devastation, maybe some of them can chime in.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't want to appear snarky, and my experience iof several years in weight-loss mode during which I realized the preparation was the key to compliance--and overall success informs my thinking about these things.

But I, too, live in NY and was visited by Irene. Fortunately, I didn't lose power, but I was prepared for that possibility in terms of available Primal food that did not have to be cooked, as well as 'good' water (our water gets easily contaminated in rainstorms).

My point is that if you get warnings of any impending storm (and perhaps you didn't; our local stations have been 24/7 Irene for 2 days), you need to consider your WOE and how you'll cope and not just wait for the power to go off.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member

Wink

I am in Southern NE, (with hubs and 2 girls, ages 7 and 9), and although I was sure we would lose power (we always do!) we did not. But I was prepared anyhow! I cooked off several lbs of meat in different marinades, to serve cold. Raw veggies, nuts, hard boiled eggs, sour cream dip, bacon, chicken salad, (I can not eat canned fish..allergic!)..and I froze several gallon bags for cooler ice if I did indeed lose power! So, yeah, I baked some homemade banana nut bread for those in the house that eat it, fresh berries and cream, too.
    Basically we are now going to have to chow on this for a few days! (oh no)...
    If I were really in a jam, out of a can I could grab soup or baked beans...they are both gathering dust in my cupboard!
    The wind and rain would die down for periods, so if you wanted to cook outside and were somewhat protected, you could, if you timed it right!
    Last edited by Juliemama; 08-28-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast