Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Pasta Substitute? page

econ is offline Member

Primal Pasta Substitute?

Primal Fuel
    I'd like to make some primal pasta sauce tonight (with tomato paste, meat, and lots of veggies). Since, I'm not going to use pasta or bread, I'm looking for something that helps sop-up the sauce. I'm looking for something that doesn't take much effort to make, so hopefully some sliced veggies (or something equally easy to prepare) will do the trick. Any ideas?

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    Thinly sliced zucchini! If you have a mandoline then that's what I would do. I've been meaning to buy one for ages because I'd like to try that myself.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    The other day I made just this sort of sauce but added an extra pound of ground beef cooked it long enough to get really thick and ate as is, lovely spinach salad on the side.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

rockrunner Guest
    Spaghetti squash is what I like for that...try it you might like it.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Sliced eggplant, sliced squash, sliced mushrooms and spaghetti squash work well. I make lasagna with eggplant and zucchini and it works well. I also make fake spaghetti with the sliced squash/mushrooms and/or spaghetti squash when I feel like it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Richard Blais did a wonderful sweet potato "noodle" on a food network show I saw a few months ago. I have often thought of trying it.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

econ is offline Member
    Can someone explain to me how exactly you get "spaghetti squash?" Do you just buy squash, bake it, and scoop out the insides? Or is it a little more complicated than that?

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    It's a particular kind of squash that divides into strands when cooked. I only had it once, and the one I bought tasted enormously sweet and very strongly honey-flavoured. Would have been lovely for dessert, but as a base for meat sauce it was not a success. Maybe if you used to like maple syrup on bacon it's different...

I've put pasta sauce on kale, broccoli, shredded courgette (=zucchini), or baked sweet potato. All good. Basically you either need something absorbent in itself (like the sweet potato) or fine enough to hold the liquid (like broccoli). Or a spoon.

g3tL@uren is offline Member
    Has anyone ever tried sliced potatoes sauteed in oil? I use that all the time… But it is true the other choices are far superior,nutritionally. It's just easy and doesn't really have a flavor that can take from the sauce.
    "When the climb gets tough, imagine the view from the top"

My Primal Journal

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Spaghetti squash or zucchini are your best options.

The squash you can bake or microwave, flavor wise someone mentioned they can be a bit sweet, I don't find it to be overpowering especially under a tomato based sauce (although I will say every squash seems to be slightly different). I usually toss it with a bit of butter before topping with sauce. Its simple to cook, google some methods and do what you like best.

For zucchini, I like to peel it, then using a potato peeler slice the zucchini into ribbons. I usually only peel down until the seeds, as the integrity seems to be lost if I try and peel beyond that. Cook in your sauce or steam for just a few minutes and wallah, you have something similar to egg noodles.

For another day, here is another way to turn your zucchini into pasta. I have this version and love it.
    Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler with Blade Protector: Kitchen & Dining

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast