Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can Kids Eat Primally at School? page

Windsurfer is offline Junior Member

How Can Kids Eat Primally at School?

My family is adopting the Primal Lifestyle after I've been on it for a year and they have seen the fantastic changes my body has gone through. We are also getting more connected as a family when we prepare our own meals instead of all running off in different directions at night and eating on the run.

But there is one thing that concerns me. My kids will be going back to school very soon and there are not a lot of choices in the school cafeteria to eat primally. I was wondering if there are a list of easy to make meals or meal suggestions that I could put in a lunch bag for them? They have no refrigerators to keep things cold until lunch and there are no microwaves to heat anything up? I can't just send them with a can of tuna every day, or just a heaping of lunch meat. Also - I would want to make sure a salad was still good until lunch time.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help, this is my first post on this forum.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i grew up in an era before fridges and microwaves in schools, and i did great on salads. i was a salad fiend when i was a teen.

and, even today, i don't refridgerate whatever i take with me, or microwave it, even though i have both of those at my disposal! nearly everything keeps fine, so long as it's not sitting in a hot, sunny place (eg, a locker, outside, with sun beating on it will melt anything).

from there, this is what we take with us for lunch: mini meat loaves, patties, or meatballs; salads of all kinds ("warm" and cold -- warm salads are generally sauteed, roasted, or steamed veggies, typically served warm, but of course, by the time you get to them, they'll be room temp); fruit and nuts. that's it really. this is what my son (who is three) also gets for his lunch.

one of my favorite, simple warm salads is steamed broccoli and cauliflower, chopped tomato, chopped avocado, chopped bacon with another meat (usually chicken, lamb roast, or steak cut into bites) with a simple olive oil, salt and pepper dressing.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Beef jerky is a pretty good snack.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    When you consider that school is an unnatural setting which results in extremely high levels of stress... Forget the food, try to lower their cortisol.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    My 6 year old takes lunch to school. Get an insulated lunch box/bag and an ice pack for each of them. We do some assortment of ham slices, sandwiches or tacos on these tortillas http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35975.html, smoothies, string cheese, primal muffins, various fruit, homemade lara bars, meatballs, sweet potato chips, etc....really whatever you make for any other meal can be packed up as a lunch.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    When you consider that school is an unnatural setting which results in extremely high levels of stress... Forget the food, try to lower their cortisol.
    By homeschooling? Then lunch is no longer an issue at all
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Schools, hospitals and airports are imo the worst food deserts out there. I'm with Jamie Oliver on the whole school lunch thing.

But I remember being a kid well enough that if you want them to actually eat these primal lunches- rather than just use the opportunity to score pizza, fries, kraft dinner, chocolate pudding, other krap... try to make them 'fun'. Colorful, finger food, etc. I just mention it because I remember so many kids in my elementary school whose parents would pack them these (in retrospect, pretty decent) well-meaning lunchs of salads, lettuce wraps with fresh chicken and hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, homemade baked nut snacks, etc.... and those kids would promptly dump that stuff in the trash and get french fries and chocolate milk from the caf.

So beyond that... primal lunches. hm.

Can you tolerate some compromise on legumes? There's lots of bean salads you can make with tons of fresh veg, spices, etc. If you don't get too esoteric with the spices, most kids will at least try them. Those will keep better than lettuce (which wilts), and my instinct is that kids will eat a colorful crunchy bean salad before they'll go for green stuff.

You can do a lot with lettuce or (my fave) sushi nori wraps. You can put all kinds of greens, sprouts, canned fish, lunch meat, bacon, grilled chicken, etc in there. If you can stand the compromise and your kids won't eat anything with that much obvious green in it, there's also gluten-free wraps. It seems easier to sneak veggies in those... maybe because they come in colors like red, orange, blue corn, etc?

There's also the typical cut veggies and dip. You can do a lot with the dip to get protein and fat in there. That's 'fun' enough sometimes.

Fruit salad. It keeps okay, it's sweet and colorful, most kids will eat it.

Primal pizza? If you can get them to like it more than crappy processed cafeteria-type pizza, they'll be less likely to go for the crapola as soon as Mom isn't watching. Cold pizza is pretty much a universally yummy thing, and the crust is the least memorable part of it. There's recipes for primal pizzas on the forum here.

Shish kebabs. These are fun just because you get to take them apart. Kids really dig making their own skewers too. You can put all kinds of primal stuff on there- lamb, chicken, beef, you name it and all kids of veggies. Maybe bend the primal stuff a bit and try out pineapple chunks. You guys could make them and grill them the night before- kids love doing this- and then your kids will be jazzed to eat them at lunch.

I'd push the primal treats and desserts. Kids love that stuff, and most aren't motivated (and really shouldn't be anyway) to deprive themselves of sweets and treats forever. There's really no reason why primal treats- which I think taste better than the usual sugar bombs- couldn't be better and yummier than the crap at school.

Yogurt! Not perfect primal, but decent. Give them little baggies of nuts, spices and berries to put in it. Lunches you have to assemble pass the fun test more easily. Greek yogurt is really good. Even kids like that stuff. Even promising them frozen greek yogurt treats when they get home may keep them away from the krap at lunch.

All of that should keep a few hours until lunch, even jammed into a kid's bookbag.
    Last edited by CandylandCanary; 08-28-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Schools are basically a cross between Lord of the Flies, boot camp and prison. They're engineered to break kids psychologically into defeated helpless consumers/factory workers. Trying to mitigate the adrenal damage is a very noble goal... but good luck.

I think just keeping them away from the direct assault on their brain chemistry (and therefore moods, emotional well-being, concentration, happiness) from processed refined sugars, flours, crapola fats and MSG is enough of a battle already.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

onewomanband is offline Member

LogicalOutlier is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This lady has loads of posts on primal lunches for kids. Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary
    I'm thinking of getting one of those bento-style lunchboxes myself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast