Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here. Tomorrow 12/28 is my Day #1 page

Singingfun Guest

Hi. I'm Debi.

First of all, can anyone tell me how to put my photo with my sign-on???

Okay - I have the book PB. I've tried reading it but have no concentration. But I think I have the basic idea.

My journey started 4 years ago at 327 lbs. I am currently 49 years old. I joined Weight Watchers and did the Core program. I quickly lost 100 lbs in the first year and gradually lost another 40 lbs the next year. Since then I have been up and down - gaining back as much as 60 lbs and losing some of it back again. Currently I weigh around 215 (not sure because of holiday binge eating).

Two weeks ago I started holiday binge eating in earnest. The past 24 hours I have been gorging to the point that my heart is racing and I feel physically sick. So I'm not waiting for New Years Day. I'm starting tomorrow and I'm ready to make drastic changes.

The little I have read in PB makes a lot of good sense to me I'm working with someone locally who will mentor me for 6 weeks to get me started.

I'm pleased that I've kept most of my weight off, but frustrated that I still have such an addiction to food - sweets and bakery goods especially.

I am not an athlete. But since losing weight I have started some bike riding and I regularly dance (ballroom and swing). I do belong to a gym and will be looking to get into a regular exercise routine pretty quickly.

My plans for tomorrow are to have:

BF: 2 eggs fried in butter, 1/4 avocado, with some ham

L: grass-fed hamburger patty, 1/4 avocado, on a bed of spinach

D: Steak, 1/4 avocado, w Brocolli

I guess I'll boil up some eggs for snacks. I did pick up some nuts but noticed someone on here mentioned the nuts might slow down weight loss. So I'll have them on hand for "emergency."

I have some organic strawberries and small apples. I wonder if I should hold off on eating fruit for a few days while I adjust to getting off the sugar.

I have some pictures - a decent BEFORE picture from when I was around 327 lbs and a current one. I'll try to figure out how to post those later.

I welcome pointers.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Singingfun,

Welcome to the tribe!!! Kudos for the enthusiasm, and you can add a photo by going to gravatar.com :-)

lesliek is offline Member

Welcome Debi! It's exciting to start a primal eating plan-- I hope you find the process as rewarding as I have. I too was big on the sweets (and gave up twelve years of vegetarianism a couple weeks after starting).

Your menu for tomorrow sounds great. If you can stick to the meat and veggies and feel good about it, more power to you. If you've been eating a lot of carbs and sugar though (which it sounds like you have), it may be easier to focus less on drastically reducing your carb intake, and instead use some "transitional" foods to ease into it. These include sweet potatoes, beans, whole milk, yogurt & cheese, apples, berries, squares of dark chocolate, etc. I did it this way, and I still lost a lot of weight in the first couple weeks. As my body adjusted to less grain and sugar, I gradually reduced by carb intake over time.

I too was the type of person who could really overdo it on sweets and baked goods. One of the best things I did when I started the PB diet was to *not* resist cravings. If I wanted something sweet I'd eat an apple or a piece of dark chocolate (or 3 or 4 pieces!). And if I was really craving popcorn or a piece of bread, I'd eat that too. I found that if I was strongly craving a food and didn't allow myself to have it, I'd fixate on it, and eat more bad stuff later. Better just to eat it, move on, and get back on track later that day or the next. Over time you'll start craving the good stuff and not wanting the bad.

Good luck with your first day!

Althaur is offline Senior Member

Hi Debi. Welcome and good luck with your endeavor. I too was a HUGE sugar addict. When I went primal, I would use fruit to help with the perceived need for sugar. What I found though was that the cravings didn't really go away unless I had some protein and fat. The best piece of advice I can give is, if you are craving something, have some meat or some type of fat with the fruit.

I gradually cut back on the fruit and now don't have the sugar cravings I had for so many years. I do find that one little taste has me craving the sweets again though. I had a little bit of a very wonderful cake at a dinner party this weekend and had to deal with the cravings for about 2 hours afterward. Drank water and some coffee with a lot of heavy cream and was all better.

Remember, it's a journey that really has no end. A slight misstep here and there isn't the end of the world.

janaturner is offline Junior Member

Hi Debi,

Congratulations on taking the first step! I just wanted to reiterate that if you have cravings use fruit(not on its own as Althaur mentioned), nuts, dairy, etc. I too was a huge sugar addict and those foods let me stick to PB in the beginning. Now I also have no cravings and sometimes the only fruit I've had in a day is a few pomegranate seeds in my salad.

Not having cravings or those "I'm gonna die if I don't eat something NOW" hunger pangs is so great that I'd stick to PB for those benefits alone!

Jana

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Welcome! I agree that your first day's menu looks good. Don't be afraid to eat more if you're hungry -- just choose the right foods and make sure you're satisfied (not stuffed). Congratulations on starting your journey!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Singingfun Guest

Thanks for all the good advice. Breakfast was great. Weighed myself this morning and it looks like I managed to gain 20 lbs over the holidays. But I will admit that after a 24-hour huge binge, I know some of that is just all the food still in my body. I suspect my first week weight loss will look dramatic. The challenge will be the subsequent weeks (months and years). But just for today, I'll focus on this step in the right direction and take it one day at a time.

jrherring is offline Senior Member

The holidays have been a bear on me as well. But, starting today, 100% primal. I have to. At 215 and turning 40 next month...(5'4" female) something's gotta give.

Good luck!!

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

Sounds like you're off to a good start mentally as well with the food. I'm struggling with the sweet tooth too, but slowly the cravings are being replace by fat cravings. That is definitely what you want to go for. If you must/can, get rid of ALL the sugar in your house. I'm planning on doing that as soon as my husband goes to his next base (since he isn't primal). Like you said, take it one day at a time and you'll eventually get to the right place.

Daisygg is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

I'm just starting myself Debi (that's my name as well - spelled the same!) so I'll be rooting for you.

Yay for you!

If I Knew How To Get There I Wouldn't Have To Ask

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast