Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying on track??? page

darkfault is offline Junior Member

Staying on track???

Shop Now
    Well, I get a day or so under my belt, then I end up falling off the wagon hard.

After the first day or so, I start dreaming of a 'cheat day' my mind starts racing through all the different crap I can eat, drives me crazy.

So what are some tips I can use to help myself stay on track.

Voyageur is offline Senior Member

Either you want to be lean and healthy or you don't. Only you can decide.

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Are you hungry on your 1 primal day? You may need to eat more or overeat on primal foods until you get over your food addictions or thoughts of being deprived. I know I ate a lot of primal treats and higher carb than I am now. It helped me get over my sugar addiction. I would also say, "I want to be thin and sexy. X is only going to make me fat and not sexy.". Somedays are better than others. I was happy as long as I only ate primal foods, even if some of them were in the grey area.

It gets better. Stick with it. It can take a long time to really make the change.
    Last edited by prodistat; 08-27-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Just keep trying - it does get easier. Have some good primal munchies you like around so that you can avoid the chips, cookies and ice cream. A frozen banana will fill in for ice cream (peel it first of course). I used to eat lots of almonds - crunchy and satisfying. Make your own beef jerky - really good and easy to do - got the recipe off of this site. There are many ways to make primal versions of things you crave and with time, your habits change and you stop craving the junk. In the beginning I avoided grains and legumes but ate a lot of less than perfect primal stuff. I just kept trying and got better. Don't skip meals or you can set up for a binge. Be kind to yourself - you are doing a great thing here! Most people (adults anyway - kids will keep trying til they get it) give up when facing a challange when what they really need to do it just keep working at it.

darkfault is offline Junior Member
    I find night time snacking to be my crutch.

I always wanna grab a salty snack and a sugary snack to go with my evening TV shows/Movie. Not sure if its more of a habit, or a craving or both?

But I do obsess on it quite a bit.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I squashed cravings with bacon. I know, I know, its kind of the running joke in some threads, but its got an element of truth to it! Seriously, if you're finding you want something when you sit down to watch TV, sit down with some bacon and eggs. You'll enjoy it, you're eating better food, and the cravings will go away. Any time I'm feeling deprived of something, I squash it with something really delicious instead. Steak with sour cream and horseradish for example. Brussle sprouts fried in bacon fat, mmmmmm.

I find I can eat much more luxuriously now than I ever could before going Primal. Right now, my go to food seems to be eggs, lightly salted, with some smoked paprika. Bacon helped me get here, and now I eat less of it as I find more and more foods that help squash cravings. Sliced tomatoes on top of thick sliced fresh ham, with some fresh cracked pepper is another outstanding snack I'm leaning towards lately. Be creative and make sure you have good food on hand, you'll get through.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

econ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfault View Post
    Well, I get a day or so under my belt, then I end up falling off the wagon hard.

After the first day or so, I start dreaming of a 'cheat day' my mind starts racing through all the different crap I can eat, drives me crazy.

So what are some tips I can use to help myself stay on track.
    I've been asking myself how to stay on track a lot lately...

Basically, I was pretty good for a month, but then followed it up with a few unhealthy weeks. I'm not sure if any of the stuff will be helpful to you, but they're some ideas I've been kicking around:

- Be fairly extreme, since habits are crucial. The more consistent you are, the easier it becomes (even if that seems counter-intuitive) because "We are what we repeatedly do." Once you go all-in, you may eventually quit dreaming about cheat days and cheat foods, since they're not even an option and you haven't had one in so long. Maybe I just have an addictive personality, but I notice the more I do unhealthy stuff, the more I think about it. For example, when I was pretty strict for several weeks straight, I rarely thought about beer, liquor, and ice cream. Contrast that with the last few weeks, where I've allowed myself to indulge in this crap and have started thinking about it much more frequently.

- Take a look at ChickenTuna's website called "blunkers." Maybe even read it every couple days. She's far from primal, so I wouldn't expect too many people on here to agree with her when it comes to the details of diet and exercise (and I don't either). With that said though, I think she has a great philosophy on getting-in, and staying-in, shape.

- Use pictures of yourself (past or present) for motivation. They can be good pictures, or bad pictures (whatever helps keep you motivated).

- Look at pictures of in shape people from both sexes. I know this one is a little cheesy and a little vain, but it seems to give some short-term motivation. I don't know about you guys, but when I see a CK men's underwear ad, I really wish I had a body like that. Similarly, when I see a female swimsuit model, I wish I was on a similar level of shape/attractiveness.
    Last edited by econ; 08-27-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    The first few days are always the hardest.

It would help if there was a paleo religion. If some religions can resist bacon, resisting grains should be a cinch.

econ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    It would help if there was a paleo religion. If some religions can resist bacon, resisting grains should be a cinch.
    LOL! Well put!

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Any type of change is difficult. Embrace the change. For me it meant starting out slowly by just eliminating sugar and HFCS before I went completely primal/paleo. For others it was easier just to jump right in. Picture your goals, design your path and embrace it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast