Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Alabama! page

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member

Greetings from Alabama!

Hi, everyone!

My name is Bobby, I am a 56-year old quadruple bypass survivor (Sept '05), and I live in Alabama. I recently became aware of Mark Sisson and The Primal Blueprint through a former co-worker's success with it. I saw him standing on a street corner a few weeks ago and could not believe my eyes. I had to look several times in order to convince myself that he was the same person that I had known for 18 years! The transformation was nothing short of incredible! My guess is that he had lost some 50 pounds and had completely changed the way he looked.

At the time of my bypass surgery, I was in the neighborhood of 240+ pounds on my 5' 11" frame. I had smoked for 32 years, ate all of the foods that I should not have, and was basically killing myself one bite and smoke at a time. After my surgery, I immediately lost 40 pounds, stopped smoking, and once my body was healed, I felt like a million bucks! I had gone through a 6-week program of cardiac rehab which had gotten me excited about a program of regular exercise. But once I went back to the desk job ... well, I soon got sedentary again. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

Fast forward to 2011 ... I am now back up to 225, eating things I should not, but have managed to stay away from tobacco. At least that's a plus one! But my body was telling me that I needed to get a grip and get healthy.

Enter The Primal Blueprint!

I will finish the book today, and I have been following the dietary guidelines for about a week now, and I am already noticing a change in my body. I have stepped on the scales, but I want to reserve judgment until I go back to my doctor's office ... which is my official scale. Two weeks ago, I tipped those scales at 222.4, so I fully expect to see a noticeable drop when I go back in a couple of weeks to have my BP checked again. I would hope that it would be much lower, too.

With my medical history, I must (literally) exercise caution with my workouts. I have begun by walking my neighborhood (quite hilly, I might add), paying particular attention to the 55-75% rule with regards to heart rate. I am also going shirtless on my walks in order to hopefully get my Vitamin D up.

I really am a very lucky individual ... to be my age with my medical history, I really don't have many restrictions. In fact, I would say that for my age, I am amazingly fortunate that I have a good range of motion and only a bare minimum of aches and pains that normally accompany someone my age. But I am no Mark Sisson ... yet. <grin>

So, there's my icebreaker! See you around the forums!

Grok on!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Bobby. Glad you found us. Sounds like you are on the right track to health. If you have any questions, ask away.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Bobby. As Hedonist said, it sounds like you are on the right track. BUT: be prepared for your doctor to tell you otherwise; most of them are steeped in CW and strongly advise against the PB. On the bright side, if you stick with it, you will see improvements that will have your doctor in awe, and maybe even change a medical mind.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Thanks, Hedonistic!! I appreciate the reply and the offer! :-)

Many thanks, Mike!

I haven't told my doctor ... I know exactly what he would say. And it would be much the same thing that my wife is telling me now. She is VERY concerned with the amount of eggs and meat that I am eating (cholesterol & triglycerides), even though I et her read the secion in TPB regarding those two things.

No, I decided that I best kep ts to myself and pray to God that Mark is correct about homeostasis. From the success stories I am seeing here, I feel quite comfortable in taking the plunge. And while CW would dictate that I am crazy for not getting my do tor's blessing, I've told CW to take a hike ... Barefooted. LOL!

So this is literally a do-or-die thing for me. Let's see where I am in 6 months. :-)

Thanks again, Mark.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    And while CW would dictate that I am crazy for not getting my do tor's blessing, I've told CW to take a hike ... Barefooted. LOL!
    Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks, Hedonist!! I should also mention that my doctor tips the scales somewherre near 300 pounds. Not exactly the picture of health himself, you know. I can't wait to see the look on his face next time he sees the transformation I plan on becoming. :-)

Grok on, indeed,

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Roll Tide! Or is it War Eagle? Welcome...I lived in Bham for 10 years...just say away from the cheese biscuits at Jim 'n Nicks!

It is most definitely 'Roll Tide'!! LOL!! And you are so right! Tons of good southern cooking down here, to be sure! And not all of it in restaurants!! Just got in from shooting a wedding, and you know those things are always catered with all sorts of processed, carb-laden foods. As this is my first one since going Primal, I am happy to say that I avoided both the Bride's and Groom's cake, fried chicken, cupcakes, dips, etc. I did, however, partake of the mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, and grilled chicken ... and a few pickles. :-)

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome aboard Bama, and nice work on the Doc:-) Being Primal means being true to yourself...As many here have said, you are what you eat. Keep it clean, and in no time, you'll be a "Lean, Mean, Fighting Machine"...Ox, Stripes:-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast