Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Fitness - Good Choice? page

tidmutt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Fitness - Good Choice?

Shop Now
    Hi All,

This might sound like a stupid question to ask, but have many people reported good results from following the Primal Blueprint Fitness guidelines?

I've been primal for over 6 months (Paleo last year) and have lost over 60 lb so far (about 40-50lb to go) and dropped 10% body fat. I've been doing weights three times a week following a program by Tom Venuto that's a whole body workout, plenty of floor work, Plank, crunches and the rest dumbell exercises like squats, romanian deadlifts etc. I record all my progress in a workout journal and I've been doing it for about 6 months now, of and on, but on more often, especially the last few months. For some time I was also jogging or walking a few times a week. Recently I've begun to have a bit of a revelation that maybe I can take a different approach and stop tracking, wearing a heart rate monitor etc. and just have fun. I introduced sprints in the park based on PBF just this week and loved every minute of it. I wore my heart rate monitor this time just to see how it impacted my body versus jogging and weights and wow, I got the same calorie burn from 12 minutes of sprinting that I received from 30-40 minutes of jogging or weights and it was so much more fun, and the dog loved every minute of it. Next time, no heart rate monitor.

So I have been thinking about doing all of the PBF program and replacing my Tom Venuto routine, throwing away the workout journal and putting the heart rate monitor in the drawer. So my question is, has the PBF achieved good results for people? Did you mix it up with some free weights or just stuck to body weight exercises? I'm happy to do it but I've had pretty good results from my current program and don't want to mess with a good thing although it is time to mix it up a bit I think.

Thoughts?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Mark would say the more fun you can have staying fit and the less "exercise" the better. Only do "exercises" for what you can't get through play.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

That makes sense, but how effective is it? Will it be as effective as the weight training I'm currently doing? I know Mark is pretty buff, but he also seems to be genetically gifted, not a category I would be placed in. LOL

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I can't really tell you about the weight training. Not my specialty.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I are both doing the PBF and it kicks our collective butts twice a week. Try it for a week and see how it feels. It's a free ebook so there's no risk.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I do a very similar bodyweight program called Convict Conditioning, in conjunction with walking and sprinting. I've never been more fit, and my upper arms (biceps and triceps) are bigger than they ever have been in my life (which isn't saying much, but my wife likes it).

Al Kavadlo is a member here, and a personal trainer in New York. I think I saw somewhere that he gave up lifting weights about 4 years ago, and he looks pretty incredible. His website is pretty easy to find. but I'm lazy right now.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Al's site: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Mastering Your Body Weight (link to my favorite blogpost--super helpful!) I personally have loved utilizing PBF, simplefit, Al Kavadlo's site, bodyrock.tv, gymnastics style training (Google Building the Gymnastic Body)--all bodyweight based workout methods. I've found them very helpful in getting stronger and more functionally fit.

I know that some of the folks who are into weight lifting here often recommend Starting Strength and the Stronglifts programs, while others recommend Body by Science and HIT approaches. You can also have fun using sandbags, kettlebells, etc.

If I were you I might just see where I was on all the PBF recommended exercises (also the Al Kavadlo ones--there are lots of great things to work up to like hand stand push ups, one arm pull ups and push ups, the planche, etc--lots of progress to be made w/ bodyweight alone.) You can go from there. IMO, as long as you are doing compound movements and hitting all major muscle groups (by making sure to do a push/pull and some sort of squat/lunges, maybe some planks or hanging leg lifts or L sits etc each workout session)--doing it however feels best and most fun to you is the way to go.

HTH!! Have fun!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Al's site: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Mastering Your Body Weight (link to my favorite blogpost--super helpful!) I personally have loved utilizing PBF, simplefit, Al Kavadlo's site, bodyrock.tv, gymnastics style training (Google Building the Gymnastic Body)--all bodyweight based workout methods. I've found them very helpful in getting stronger and more functionally fit.

I know that some of the folks who are into weight lifting here often recommend Starting Strength and the Stronglifts programs, while others recommend Body by Science and HIT approaches. You can also have fun using sandbags, kettlebells, etc.

If I were you I might just see where I was on all the PBF recommended exercises (also the Al Kavadlo ones--there are lots of great things to work up to like hand stand push ups, one arm pull ups and push ups, the planche, etc--lots of progress to be made w/ bodyweight alone.) You can go from there. IMO, as long as you are doing compound movements and hitting all major muscle groups (by making sure to do a push/pull and some sort of squat/lunges, maybe some planks or hanging leg lifts or L sits etc each workout session)--doing it however feels best and most fun to you is the way to go.

HTH!! Have fun!
    Thanks everyone, okay, you've convinced me (I just needed a bit of a nudge) I'm going to follow the PBF plan, drop the weights and the tracking for a while and have some fun with it. Time for a change anyway.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i think it just depends on what your goals are

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i think it just depends on what your goals are
    I often describe my goals as more Spiderman and less The Hulk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast