Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rhetoric of Paula Deen haters page

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member

The Rhetoric of Paula Deen haters

Shop Now
    GRRRRRR

I don't care for Paula Deen, or any TV chefs for that matter (except for Iron Chef America.) Most of her recipes sound awful to me and most of her ingredients are just processed foods thrown in a pot. "Cream of mushroom", really?

But the thing that irks me even more than her lazy, processed-food frankenmeals are the reasons that other people hate her. Its always her use of butter. "Her recipes are loaded with fat!" Never a word on how much sugar is in them...only that she used, gasp, full fat butter!!!

Does anyone else get annoyed by this misguided disgust? I try to tell me friends that hate on her, "hey guys...the butter isn't so bad...its all that breading and sugar and insulin-spiking stuff, and the pre-packaged, high sodium junk in all her recipes", but they just roll their eyes and scream, "BUT..BUTTER!!!!"

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    Out of all the things in the world, even out of all things paleo-related that you could get upset about, THIS is what really gets your back up? This is what you waste oxygen arguing about with people?

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i dont like her cause of voice and she looks funny lol

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    As soon as I saw Paula Deen's name on this thread, I knew it was going to be a tirade about the butter use. Yes, that irks me, too.

But what I really can't stand is that there are actually Paula Deen haters. So she's not a master chef. So what? She's not supposed to be. She's a wonderful, charming old Southern belle with a great personality, a heart of gold and wouldn't hurt a fly. How can you not like someone like her? Rachael Ray has a talk show for God's sake and her voice makes me want to gouge my ear drums out with an oil dip stick.

Say what you will about her recipes, maybe you don't even like her personality, but her cookware is very good. I have her stoneware loaf pan and it is a work of art and very well made. I want to get a few more of her pieces in lieu of a Pyrex glass baking dish as they tend to shatter (Ask me how I know...BOOM! A whole meal ruined!).

Nice lady, good products that she's endorsed, loves butter...yea, she's alright. You have to realize that a lot of her recipes are tailored to the average lazy American. I doubt she's putting Campbell's soup in a lot of stuff at home. Making recipes easier just sells more books and increases audience size because no one's going to buy books from someone who cooks like a five star chef. It's too advanced for the average person. "Easy" sells, which is the whole reason why the processed frankenfoods market is enormous. People would gladly trade health for convenience. Just look at Rachael Ray and her 30 Minutes or Less bullshit. It's not Paula's fault people are lazy. She's a businesswoman first and a cook second, so I can't blame her for marketing her recipes towards the largest possible audience.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-26-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    At least most of what I've seen Paula Deen and Rachael Ray cook has real ingredients. A bit less for Ms. Deen, I think. I see Ray use some shredded cheese or beans from a can and such, but there are also actual honest-to-goodness vegetables and meats in there, too. Sure, it's not my idea of good, healthy food, but part of me feels like they're doing some good in the world if they're getting people out of the drive-through and into the kitchen.

The one that drives me bat shit crazy is that Semi Ho-made chick. I bet the sponsors love her. The show looks like one big commercial. I do like the idea of shows for home cooks that will teach them to make quick meals. I just want to see real food being used.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    To paraphrase Liberace's brother, she's crying all the way to the bank. There was an anti-anti Paula Deen screed in yesterdays NYT but in defending her the author of course had to mock the high fat thing because of course he's not only a reporter but a dietary expert.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    We have someone similar here in NZ on the telly. Glad to see she uses butter and is very disparaging about spreads, but she will throw in packet soup mix to spice up a dish. While not ideal, I tend to think that it might get some people into the kitchen and preparing food which is one step closer to cooking with real ingredients.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Her husband is the epitome of carb face and inflammation. He looks like he is going to keel over at any minute. Death by fork.

But I agree that she's laughing all the way to the bank and, yes, she is cooking the way a lot of Americans want. If you look at popularity metrics over on The Food Network's site, her recipes are always through the roof. Yeah, she's crazy. Crazy like a fox.

I don't find her annoying personally -- she fat and sassy -- but that Semi-Ho Stepford Wife who's always boozed up (Sandra _____) drives me up the wall.

Nigella Lawson. I can't decide if I want to be her or make fun of her. She's the most parody-able person on TV, and I'm surprised more comediennes don't go for that low-hanging fruit. In my fantasies, I'd love to be the level of domestic goddess that she is -- perfect kitchen with perfect food with freshly cut flowers, beneficial lighting always, ample breasts plumped up ever so pertly, a gauzy lens so that I look eternally young, with the camera easing slightly out of focus in an artsy fashion. "Come, children!"
    (!)
    Last edited by TigerLily; 08-26-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    whoa tigerlilly - i agree with you 100%! except for nigella b/c i don't know squat about her.

bringing up semi-ho is almost making me miss our cable tv subscription - damn i sure did enjoy her terrible show. It was amazing, the awful things she would make. Actually, another fun thing to do is look up her shows/episodes and read the awful recipes and the funny comments that people make.

i always liked rachel ray, yeah she's got an annoying raspy voice, but i thought her recipes were pretty decent. I don't think there's anyway i could ever cook any of them in 30 minutes!

paula deen - the first time i had that on the tv, my husband called out from the other room "are you watching hee-haw?" the biggest problem i had with her food is she used way too much mayo and sour cream. I generally don't like white food, for some reason. And there's way too much dessert. All of food network was starting to have just way too much dessert, candy, and cakes. Stuff i never liked anyway. I agree with you that her husband looks deathly ill. She's just too southern-fried for my taste.

it kinda creeps me out how the neely lady & paula deen cook with like about $30k of diamonds on. I don't know why exactly, b/c i like jewelry too, but dang. It doesn't look comfortable.

alton brown was pretty much the only good thing on that channel. That, and "chopped".

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post

bringing up semi-ho is almost making me miss our cable tv subscription - damn i sure did enjoy her terrible show. It was amazing, the awful things she would make. Actually, another fun thing to do is look up her shows/episodes and read the awful recipes and the funny comments that people make.
    <snip>
    paula deen - the first time i had that on the tv, my husband called out from the other room "are you watching hee-haw?"
    <snip>
    You are so funny, Catherine!

Yeah, I'd watch Semi-Ho as some sort of trainwreck I couldn't loolk away from/self-punishment.

Anyway, I bring you Nigella:
    Nigella Lawson...Caramel Croissant Pudding... - YouTube

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast