Thread: Quick question about moving slowly. page

Clint is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

The PB reads to move slowly between 55% and 75% of your MHR as this is the zone to maximize the use of fat as the primary fuel.

Is it correct to think that given the same amount of time moving, I would burn more fat the closer I am to 75% or do you burn the same amount no matter where you are in the range for a given amount of time?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

If my understanding is correct...

The more you move, and the faster you move, the more calories you burn- and that would include more calories coming from fat cells.

Generally when I work out, outside of my daily walks and my job which includes a lot of walking and moving, I try to fluctuate my HR. I'll take it up to about 75% for a little while, then back down closer to 55%. I do that a few times. It kinda keeps me from over working myself by doing that way. Not sure if what I'm doing is "right" or not, but so far so good.

Thanks! While I've never believed it, there is a statement that walking a mile and running a mile burns the same amount of calories. Again, I never bought it, but I thought I'd check.

I also fluctuate my HR, but out of necessity. If I walk, even briskly, I can't get up to 55%. Yet, if I jog, even VERY lightly, I go above 75%. So I do the high/low thing too.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

"As explained in the nearby FAQ (Low intensity aerobics?), high intensity aerobics burns the same amount of fat as low intensity, but the expenditure of calories is substantially greater; plus, intense aerobics produces a higher level of fitness. Importantly, the more fit you become, the more likely you are to use fat as fuel for any given activity. And now, research in Japan and in Canada shows that short, very intense aerobic sessions are amazingly effective for both fitness and fat loss."

Quoted from here:

http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

Clarence Bass: Ripped

I certainly understand the fat loss effects of high intensity exercise, such as HIIT, and the EPOC benefits associated with it. I used to be a super-intensity exerciser 4-6 days a week. I still incorporate that method via my sprinting day and occasionally I'll do a HIIT protocol with a full-body weighted exercise.

I was just curious about the 55-75% MHR range and if fat is used for fuel at the same rate no matter where you are in the range or if the rate increases as the percentage increases.