Thread: Do you trim the visible fat from grain fed beef? page

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member

Question Do you trim the visible fat from grain fed beef?

Shop Now
    Whole foods sells some cheaper cuts of beef that claim to have no added hormones and are on a vegetarian diet (I assume anything other than other cows).

After reading what a few people say about non-grass fed beef I have a few questions

1) Assuming that I have elminated most if not all industrial oils and I regularly take an omega 3 supplement, am I generally "ok" consuming this meat regularly?

2) Do I still need to trim the visible fat from this meat assuming that #1 is ok?

I've been fine tuning my new eating habits along with what works for my budget and meat is at the top of the "expensive foods" list.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    i'd try to see if i could find an equal quality of beed somehwere that is a little less expensive. beef is normally fed a vegetarian diet and no added hormones doesn't mean a lot. try costs. FWIW i'd cut the fat off as much as possible. you're fine consuming it as often as you'd like

AthenaKTM is offline Junior Member
    At our local Whole Foods, all of the meat is marked "Vegetarian Fed," but when we started asking questions, we discovered that they are actually grass fed/grain finished. Not as good a 100% grass fed and finished, but markedly better than other options. I think I would want more info from the butchers at Whole Foods.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    Whole foods sells some cheaper cuts of beef that claim to have no added hormones and are on a vegetarian diet (I assume anything other than other cows).

After reading what a few people say about non-grass fed beef I have a few questions

1) Assuming that I have elminated most if not all industrial oils and I regularly take an omega 3 supplement, am I generally "ok" consuming this meat regularly?

2) Do I still need to trim the visible fat from this meat assuming that #1 is ok?

I've been fine tuning my new eating habits along with what works for my budget and meat is at the top of the "expensive foods" list.
    Is your concern your O6/O3 ratio? My understanding is that the amount of PUFA in beef is pretty small. Much of the fat in beef is of the saturated variety, so it won't mess up your O6/O3 ratio that much. Not that there aren't good reasons for eating grass fed when you can, and I do, but I'm not sure the O6 fat content needs to be a major concern. It's all dependent on what matters to you most. I personally don't trim the fat. It's far too tasty

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmya View Post
    I personally don't trim the fat. It's far too tasty
    +1
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Cal. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    From The Primal Blueprint page 120:

The main reason to avoid the very high-fat commercial meats is because these animals, just like humans, tend to store toxins (pesticide residues, hormones, and antibiotic metabolites) in their fat cells. If, for reasons of budget or availability, you find yourself eating a less-than-ideal source of meat, always choose the leanest possibe cuts and trim the excess fat. This will significantly limit your potential exposure to these toxins.
    UNQUOTE

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal. View Post

The main reason to avoid the very high-fat commercial meats is because these animals, just like humans, tend to store toxins (pesticide residues, hormones, and antibiotic metabolites) in their fat cells. If, for reasons of budget or availability, you find yourself eating a less-than-ideal source of meat, always choose the leanest possibe cuts and trim the excess fat. This will significantly limit your potential exposure to these toxins.
    UNQUOTE
    Not trying to pick a fight but are there studies on the effects of consuming said toxins?

awm8604 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal. View Post

UNQUOTE
    Maybe I'm different from most, but the nutritional differences are down on the list as to the reasons why I consume only beef from grass-fed/finished pasture raised cows. The biggest reason by far is not supporting factory farming, and supporting farmers who raise cows how they should be raised.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I'm kinda self-centred in that I choose organic, grass fed meat for the reason Cal listed primarily. However, the reasons awm listed are getting more and more relative to me.

Not trying to pick a fight but are there studies on the effects of consuming said toxins?
    Does it really matter when the key word is "toxins?"
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!