Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Results of my blood work, comments encouraged page

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I had blood work done on December 18th, after 4 months of following the Primal Blueprint carefully. Honestly, I'm a bit concerned, especially about my fasting blood sugar. Prior to the test, I had consumed nothing but water for 14 hours. My doctor's comments puzzle me, as she knew I'd been fasting.

Here are the numbers (and my Dr's comments). Please, please, please comments are welcomed. I also don't really understand the cholesterol numbers. I'm a 54 yo, female, 5' 6", muscular, 226 lbs. Thank you.

Glucose: 113 mg/dL (Dr: normal, if not fasting)

Hemoglobin A1C: 5.8%

Cholesterol: 232 mg/dL

Triglyceride: 90 mg/dL

HDL: 65 mg/dL

LDL: 149 mg/dL

Chol/HDL ratio 3.6

Trig/HDL (Calc): 1.4

Non-HDL (Calc): 167

LDL, Direct: 149 mg/dL

(no comments from the Dr. on the lipid profile)

musajen is offline Junior Member

Sharon, based on a reference range posted on my recent tests, the ideal range for normal fasting blood sugar is between 70-110 mg/dl. I'm not sure what the reference range is for not fasting, but suffice to say, your fasting results slightly exceed the normal range (however as I understand it, these ranges aren't set in stone and vary from lab to lab?).

So...is this cause for concern? if I recall correctly, there is something about eating low-carb that (for lack of a better explanation) messes with blood-glucose tests. Dr. Eades has commented about this on his blog before and he recommends that a couple days before taking your tests you reintroduce a small amount of carbs into your diet.

Now, I'm totally not doing this explanation justice - vaguely recalling from an article read several months ago. I'll see if I can find it and post it here. It's probably not a big deal or reason for concern. However, your doctor might be a cause for concern?

I'll see if I can find that post from dr. eades...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/low-carb-caveat/

Towards the end of the post - maybe the last 3-4 paragraphs it talks about what I mentioned earlier - though in a much more intelligent way.

Wow! Thank you, musajen, for posting the link. This is fascinating stuff. I have been 99% primal since day one, over 4 months ago now, and am in the middle of reading Good Calories, Bad Calories. The more I understand about insulin spikes, the more committed I am to this WOE. Thanksgiving and Christmas have come and gone, with only one small helping of stuffing and a teaspoon of apple crisp. I don't crave carbs, and I cringe at the idea of consuming sugar. And to think that this strict adherence may have caused a spike in my blood sugars? Weird. I feel somewhat calmed by the hemoglobin A1C measurement, which shows that I'm well within the normal range over the last three months.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Have you heard of an NMR test? It tells you the number of large versus small LDL particles, which is what you want to know. If your doctor is like most in the US they will give you a blank stare when you ask for this test. Dr. Davis at heartscanblog.blogspot discusses NMR tests, you should be able to find more detailed info if you search his site.

Sharon - do you have any numbers previous to this set of tests that you can compare to and see if there is improvement? That is what I'd focus on - improvement. And I'd also note that there's a growing contention about the validity of these numbers in measuring your health. Plus, there have been some studies showing that people with lower Cholesterol have higher incidence of death from heart disease. So, take these results with a grain of salt.

That said, all your cholesterol numbers fall within normal reference ranges (based on the lab I use). Here's the reference ranges for each (ideal):

Glucose: 70-110

Hemoglobin A1C: 4.8-6.0

Cholesterol (total): <200

Triglycerides: 30-200

HDL: 35-60

LDL (calculated): 0-160

HDL Risk Factor: 4.2-7.0

Again, these are the reference ranges established for the lab I use - and there&#39;s not necessarily any continuity between different labs so again, grain of salt.

Something that is weird, I think, is that "they" want total cholesterol to be under 200 yet the reference ranges for all the parts would exceed 200 if you were at a happy medium in all of them. Which makes me think they&#39;re just pulling that number out of their asses which further quirks an eyebrow at the validity of these tests as a measurement of health.

By the way I&#39;m not a health professional so take what I say with a grain of salt.

maba is offline Senior Member

Sharon, read Griff's comment on this thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-from-physical

GetPrimal: This is one of the irritating things about this test as I specifically told my doctor what I wanted. Last week Griff told me: "SharonII: egmutza is right - you want the NMR and/or VAP test. Demand direct measurement of LDL and don&#39;t take no for an answer." So, that&#39;s exactly what I told my doctor, and she was curious why, but agreed. Now, in the results, I see LDL, Direct=149, and figure that must be a head nod to my request, but that&#39;s not what I asked for. Maybe those results are still coming. I&#39;m going to call her today.

musajen: When I call my doctor today, I am going to ask her to send me the test results from 2 years ago; that&#39;s the last time I had my cholesterol checked. I agree with your assessment of weirdness, as if all the numbers fall within the high side of "normal," the total would be way over 200.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I would use this as your starting point and get tested in another 6 months.

At 5&#39;6, 226lbs... you have a little more work to do and I would guess as the weight comes off... the numbers will improve as well.

Contratz on the 4 months... how much weight have you lost in that time? Are you excersising regularly?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Oh, yes, I definitely have more work to do. In four months, I&#39;ve lost 20 lbs, which I&#39;m quite happy with. I started with severe plantar fasciitis, which is now completely gone. I also had frozen shoulder on the right-hand side (adhesive capsulitis). I don&#39;t know if you know much about that, but it has 3 stages: freezing, frozen, and thawing. I am now in the thawing stage, so can just barely comb my hair with my right hand, can&#39;t quite reach into my back pocket, but I am sleeping through the night, which is huge!

I walk 3 miles a day, and I have just begun working carefully with 5-lb weights and doing planks and squats. I also have very swollen, painful knees, and I&#39;m very scared of damaging myself, but I&#39;m being consistent with my routines and certainly hope that continued weight loss will provide me with more abilities to exercise. I also have a huge garden and chickens, so I do a lot of heavy lifting. This week I&#39;m tearing my kitchen apart and cleaning and painting, so I&#39;ll be staying in constant motion.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast