Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Results of my blood work, comments encouraged page 5

emmie is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Sharon-

You didn't give the lab ranges earlier, so I didn't realize that the limit on your test was 99. As I think I mentioned, my own doctor's lab uses a limit of 120, so that's why it's important to know the lab ranges and not just the number.

I also don't think that just because you have one inept doctor you should give up entirely on conventional medicine. It's good to take the initiative for your own health care, but I'm hypothyroid. It took me more than 5 years to find a doctor who could properly diagnose me (and by that time, my symptoms were extreme). Yet I'd be dead now if I didn't stick to conventional medicine and search for a doctor who would medicate me appropriately, since the thyroid hormones I need are not available OTC.

You may not need a GTT, but if you do, please be reasonable. You&#39;re not &#39;sabotaging&#39; your body to eat carbs for 3 days. I took that test a few years ago, and I had been eating <30g of carbs for several years. The 3 days of high carb didn&#39;t affect me at all, and I went right back to low carb with no problems. It was worth it to me to know that I didn&#39;t have diabetes (by the way, my high BG number--the reason for the test-was from undiagnosed hypothyroid).

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Hi, emmie. I totally agree with you about not giving up on conventional medicine. I don&#39;t plan to do that, but I am earnestly on a hunt for a doctor who at least understands (even better would be one who encourages) the science behind low carb eating.

I was just reading about the glucose tolerance test (http://www.endocrineweb.com/diabetes/diagnosis.html). It&#39;s the same test I was given years ago after having an overweight baby. I&#39;ll go back and read Dr. Eades post about the preparation for the test. I&#39;m just in the last chapter of GCBC, and the information has caused me to swear off carbs for the foreseeable future. At least, stay under 30 g per day. The science is irrefutable. I feel like I&#39;ve found religion, so it&#39;s very hard to imagine eating 150 g of carbs a day for 3 days. I&#39;ll try to be more reasonable about it.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Reading Dr. Eades&#39; post, I came across his response to a question posed by a commenter who was about to undergo a GTT and wondered what to eat for the days prior to the test. Dr. Eades responded with the following: "You need at least three days of the higher carb fare for the glucose tolerance test to be accurate. I usually have patients follow such a diet for a week just to be sure. But, I donít usually do a glucose tolerance test, I do an insulin challenge instead, which is much more revealing."

An insulin challenge test involves injecting the patient with insulin and then monitoring the blood glucose respones every 15 minutes for two hours.

Annika is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sharon, use the side of your fingertip instead of the middle when doing a fingerstick. Fewer nerves, and you don&#39;t type with the side of your fingertip!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345