Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Results of my blood work, comments encouraged page 2

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Thanks for the link to Griff's post, maba. After reading his words, I think my numbers are just fine. Still worried about the fasting glucose level, though.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Yeah, I did the same thing. Specifically asked my run of the mill family practice doc for the test that specifically measures large versus small particle LDL. He assured me that the test he does covers everything. Not knowing any better I went ahead. Results come and I get the same B.S. you got.

I go back in and ask the guy why he lied to me about his test giving me the data I wanted. This time I knew a little bit more about what I was really asking for. Turns out he wasn't lying to me, he just had no idea what I was talking about and had no clue what the difference between large and small LDL was. I didn't even know what to say, just said thanks and walked out.

I think I've had a romanticized notion that if someone becomes a doctor, they're fascinated by everything about the human body. Instead, I guess it just becomes a job, and they get worn down after a while. When I asked my doctor whether she'd read GCBC by Taubes, and I just got a blank stare, reality came crashing in and I realized how imperative it is to keep myself educated. Also makes me scared to think if a person is unable to be self-educated, say in a state of dementia, or maybe in an accident, relying on medical expertise is a gamble, at best.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

My bloodwork numbers came back all crazy after eating primal....so I am back to eating some grains (just rice as I am celiac) along with sweet potatos, and not eating meat as I dont like it, but eating healthy and more 'balanced'....and feel better this way.

KXS: From what everyone is telling me, and reading all the links they've given me, I think "crazy" numbers are open to interpretation, and don't mean what we've been taught to understand them to mean. Traditional interpretation for a non-traditional (meaning non-CW) WOE doesn't work properly.

JulieD Guest

Are you current numbers an improvement from previous testing? That, to me, would be more indicative of progress than taking the numbers in isolation.

Congrats on your success so far!

I was tested a couple of years ago, back when I really didn't understand the numbers, but at the time my doctor was pleased so I assume the numbers fell within healthy CW ranges. I called her office yesterday to see if she'd send me the old test, but she's on vacation this week so will return my call next week.

Maybe what will be most interesting is when I get tested again in six months. Thanks for the congrats!

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

I'm afraid if I got a blood test the doctor would start screaming at me about drugs and my iminent demise! I last had a blood test before PB when I was eating super "clean" & trying zone and my TOTAL cholesterol was 90 (even still my bad cholesterol was still 10 points higher than the good). I can't imagine what its done now that I've added in comparitively TONS of fat!! Good fat, but still.

Should I save going to the Dr.s for April Fool's Day?

spurge Guest

I have thought/read a fair bit regarding blood numbers and I believe the most important numbers are the relationship between the Triglycerides and HDL, you want HDL up and Triglycerides down, simple, good blood has those numbers. Irony is the Cholesterol number could be higher, so what, it's the Trig/HDL I think repeat I think is the important relationship. My own numbers have improved in terms of the ratio, I have been paleo for 20 months my cholesterol went up but the Doc was not concerned.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

But what is a good Trig/HDL ratio? If mine is Trig/HDL (Calc): 1.4, is that good? Unlike all the other numbers on the print-out, this is one of the only ones that doesn't show a reference range.

My Chol/HDL ratio 3.6 shows a reference range that indicates <3.7 below avg risk (female).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast