Thread: Primal and osteoarthritis? page

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member

Primal and osteoarthritis?

Primal Fuel
    I saw another thread for rheumatoid arthritis, but I believe they're different things?

It's for my mom, not me. She's very CW but she's also open to trying new things. She's been doing various detox and clense diets. Her issue is that she gained about 50lbs at menopause, but also that she has recently, over the past year or two, developed osteoarthritis in her leg, her back and her middle area, about around the kidneys.

She was telling me the other day that she thinks dairy might have something to do with this, since she cut it out for one of the detox things.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear about what PB can do for osteoarthritis, since my poor mom is already on a pretty significant daily dose of prescription painkillers for this.

Another solution to try out would be better than stronger and stronger drugs.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    My story:
    Born with CP. Very healthy otherwise until after the birth of my twins. After their birth I slowly gained weight, was increasingly fatigued, achy, mentally foggy. 10 years later I was diagnosed with thyroid disease.

That diagnosis started a cascade of other issues--low estradiol, fibromyalgia diagnosis ,insomnia, bone on bone osteoarthritis in my CP affected knee and moderate OA in my dominate/non-CP hand . I was on a boatload of prescription meds--thyroid, female hormone, muscle relaxers, pain meds, sleeping pills. I somehow knew it was related to my thyroid needs being undertreated.

It took 8+ years to find a doctor who would listen, ignore my TSH, and up my meds. The increase was small and over time I started to feel more human. The knee pain continued however.

I decided to go low carb and then primal. Within a short time my knee pain lessened significantly. I was able to slowly start and then increase exercising.

Today, I'm 54, off all pain meds, fibro issues have resolved, and I haven't taken a sleeping pill in ages. I put 5 miles on the treadmill this morning. I have also lost 60 lbs and maintain it for almost 2 years.

For me, it's the grains for sure. If I dabble, the knee pain flares up. I am also noticing, recently, that certain dairy--cream --may be problematic. Cheese and butter don't seem to be an issue.

So, from my experience, going primal helped reduce inflammation, eliminate(for the most part as I still get zings if I step wrong) my OA pain/swelling and helped me get my life back.

Marcadav-

Thanks very much for the info.

I've sent this to my mom, and she's thinking it over. She told me that 'there won't be anyone over 40 on that forum anyway, it's all health-obsessed young people like you and your generation', (lol) so I think she was pleased (and pleasantly surprised) to hear from a lady around her age.

It's very encouraging to hear that you're now almost pain-free.

"

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Candyland--

You're welcome.

There's a thread for/by women over 50. You're mom might find it interesting:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19095.html

Awesome. I know she's skeptical of stuff like paleo because she thinks it's just for, quote, 'people in their twenties who don't have enough to do with their lives' (lolol). But she's def. interested in hearing from gals her age.

Thanks for the link.

"

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CandylandCanary View Post
    Marcadav-

Thanks very much for the info.

I've sent this to my mom, and she's thinking it over. She told me that 'there won't be anyone over 40 on that forum anyway, it's all health-obsessed young people like you and your generation', (lol) so I think she was pleased (and pleasantly surprised) to hear from a lady around her age.

It's very encouraging to hear that you're now almost pain-free.
    I know this is an old thread, but tell your mom I'm 70 and other than my knees I feel SO much better. Lost 35 lbs. easily, no more heartburn or GERD, no mood swings, no shaky insulin crashes, much happier! I hope you've managed to convince her in the meantime!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

WildGrok is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi tell your mom that you met in this forum a guy (me!) who is not 70, but 61
    he is in better shape now than when he was in his low 40s
    he runs sprints (fast), lifts heavy things (like doing farmer walks of 2 sets of 25 meters with one cast iron dumbbell of 100 pounds in each hand)
    And I intend to be in better shape when I am 75 (will have had more time to improve!)

Regards from WildGrok

:-)