Thread: Any singers/vocalists? What do you do for cardio? page

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member

Question Any singers/vocalists? What do you do for cardio?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a singer and I used to do chronic cardio since I was told it would aid in my breath support. Since starting PB and consequently discontinuing CC, I've notice my vocal power isn't what it used to be. I've tried to eliminate dehydration and my diet seems ok (I'm in the 100g of carbs range) but I can't belt like I used to.

Any other singers on the board? What has been your experience with PB? Any advice or theories?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'm no singer (shower only) but I would imagine that this is an issue of lung volume? If so, sprinting would be far more effective than steady state cardio for this.

Shhted is offline Member
    Singing is all diaphragmatic control and lung volume. Coach is spot on. Throw in some sprinting. Do some fartleks if you want to work diaphragmatic range.
    Last edited by Shhted; 08-26-2011 at 11:10 AM.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Longtime singer here, and I do a lot of kirtan/chant now which requires tons of lung volume for long note holds. Sprints are absolutely way more effective than sustained cardio. I also find it's a lot easier now to release my diaphragm using that old pulling trick--diaphragm in general is looser and more floaty.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I'm a singer. Classically trained as well as Speech level trained. I have not noticed a difference other then the fact that giving up dairy and grains got rid of my congestions that I use to get. I use to get all plugged up after singing classical for a while and my ears got all plugged up due to all the pressure that went into my head. But since giving up dairy and grains I don't have that anymore. And no more plegm and mucus.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shhted View Post
    Singing is all diaphragmatic control and lung volume.
    Barbell squats with the weight across the shoulders not only works the legs but also the diaphragm.

Quote Originally Posted by eelnus View Post
    I'm a singer. Classically trained as well as Speech level trained. I have not noticed a difference other then the fact that giving up dairy and grains got rid of my congestions that I use to get. I use to get all plugged up after singing classical for a while and my ears got all plugged up due to all the pressure that went into my head. But since giving up dairy and grains I don't have that anymore. And no more plegm and mucus.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure what made my phlegm go away and now I know it's because I dropped dairy (except for butter here and there)

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Longtime singer here, and I do a lot of kirtan/chant now which requires tons of lung volume for long note holds. Sprints are absolutely way more effective than sustained cardio. I also find it's a lot easier now to release my diaphragm using that old pulling trick--diaphragm in general is looser and more floaty.
    I'm not formally trained. What is this pulling trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Shhted View Post
    Singing is all diaphragmatic control and lung volume. Coach is spot on. Throw in some sprinting. Do some fartleks if you want to work diaphragmatic range.
    Thanks for the info. I just started sprinting last weekend. I looked up fartleks and was wondering would crossfit style metcons (sorry if misused this phrase) or tabata style workouts (tabata sprints, tabata burpees) be as beneficial?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Fartlek means "speed play", as I understand it. It can be used very similarly to tabata or PB sprints. Crossfit metcons would typically be a longer workout of the same intensity as the tabata or PB sprints.