Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil burning/itching/scratching back of throat? page

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil burning/itching/scratching back of throat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've recently started eating coconut oil/manna & I notice when I eat it from the jar it itches & burns my throat & makes it "scratchy". All my coconut products are brand new, so it's not the products. I do have multiple other food allergies, but I don't get hives or gastro issues from this, so am wondering if it's a food allergy or something else??

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Isn't that a sign that it's not good anymore or rancid?

It's brand new... Nutiva Oil & Manna packed this June, 2011, good until June 2012 for the manna & 2013 for the oil.

GF/NP is offline Member
    I am not sure if it could be rancid but if the date says it's okay I would be more inclined to think it's a reaction of sorts. Do you have hay fever? I have not come across anyone who has this reaction to coconut but I really don't know that many people who consume the paste of the gods like us primal folk

Point being, it could be an oral allergy...

Oral allergy syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, if you have inflammation related to other disease it is easier to mount a response to said allergens. Coconut oil helps to heal the GI and therefore could be beneficial to reducing allergies. That being said, if you have an allergic reaction to coconut I would be inclined to reserve it for cooking and use copious amounts until the gut is well healed, then try to reintroduce.

Just my first thoughts

AnnaMoyer is offline Junior Member
    I'd like to know about this too. I've been cooking with coconut oil for a while, but only recently have I started eating it on it's own. Yesterday, I had a large tablespoon full and had a sort of itchy, scratchy throat. I have a theory about this. Earlier when it was warm enough that the oil was a liquid, I could eat it just fine. The past week however has been pretty cool, so the oil is solid. I had trouble swallowing the weird chunky solid texture and I think it may have something to do with why it irritated my throat. I'll try melting it first in the future.

Is it possible that the solid/liquid state of the oil can cause itchy throat?

By the way, what is manna? I know of the biblical reference, but never heard of it in relation to coconut oil.
    "Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion." ~Jane Ausitn

Yes, it did cause rhinitis, itchy pallette etc... I'm a self-diagnosed celiac and am dealing with Leaky gut. So I think I'll have to avoid it for now unfortunately... :/

Coconut Manna is sweet, thick, & absolutely delicious!! Here's a link: https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-manna/

Monty is offline Senior Member
    I get this too, but very minor. Fat heavy liquids (coconut oil, heavy cream, etc.) give me a small scratch in the throat. But it goes right away. I have no other side affects.
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Could it be that it is aggravating yeast build up? I know there is a die off effect of some sort eating coconut
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Good-quality oil is colorless when liquid and pure white when solid, never yellow or pink, and it should not contain any
    residue or have an “off” or rancid odor. “Many people complain that coconut oil makes their throat feel scratchy or
    causes a burning sensation,” says Bruce Fife, ND, who has written several books about coconut oil. “The catch in the
    throat is a sign of poor quality. Some of these oils have a roasted or smoky flavor and aroma, which is another
    indication of poor quality, as it comes from smoke that contaminates the oil during heat processing.”
    this is from http://www.cocotherapy.com/wdj_coconut_oil_article.pdf (A journal about dogs, but has some info for people) This quote is in the first paragraph on page 3. Thanks google.

Now I'm reading that the itchy feeling is an anti-inflammatory response. Damn you google!
    Last edited by Monty; 09-02-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: google sucks!
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast