Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories - do they really count? page

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rnO8OqrRU&feature=related

This guys says a lot of things that go along with what Mark says, and like other people, he says stuff that doesn't agree with what Mark says. The one thing I am interested in is what he says about calories. He says that they don't matter because the way we figure out calories is by burning them which is way more simple than how our body processes food. If you want to watch the whole thing, it's about an hour long. What do you guys think? And Mark, I would love to hear what you have to say too.

missalex Guest

I second this question.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

He does say calories don't matter in the context of calories being a misused term for measuring energy from food. He then goes on to say "eat appropriate levels of fats and protien".

This is not the same as saying eat low carb and calories won't matter so eat all the fat and protein you want.

Sorry chima, calories count every single time. Read Lyle McDonald.

I have read 90% of Lyle's stuff.

I never said anything about calories not counting.

I was replying to the question on the article.

If you actually read and understood Lyle then you would realize it is all about context.

Perhaps my response should have read:

This is not the same as saying "eat low carb and calories won't matter so eat all the fat and protein you want".

Get it?

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

What I want to know is why exactly calories count if the way that they're measured is way different than how our body actually processes them.

I've always gone on the idea that one should eat when hungry and not eat when not hungry. It's all about listening to your body IMO.

In my opinion a lot of people who need a lifestyle change such as the PB have forgotten what the difference between "not hungry" and "full" is and also eat out of habit rather than hunger.

When he says "eat appropriate levels of fats and protein" this to me is the same as saying calories matter.

Some people can get away with not counting calories and intuitively making the right choices. Other people have problems with overeating even on a low carb diet.

gn
    gn is offline Junior Member

a strange question indeed: suppose what would happen if they didn't...

even if you eat a strict 100 percent paleo diet but stuff yourself up (for whatever reason) you're gonna get fat - i know it on my personal experience

krisssi Guest

PrimalCon New York

Eating a low-carb diet tends to decrease peoples appetite substantially so they automatically consume fewer calories.

I believe low-carb dieting has big metabolic/hormonal advantages, but at the end of the day calories do count.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast