Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories - do they really count? page 3

krisssi Guest

Primal Fuel

I've eaten unhealthy food and junkfood for the biggest part of my life, mostly high-carb stuff, but I've never been overweight.

The only reason I'm dieting right now is because I'd like to cut my body fat a little bit. I'd say I hover around 12-15%, still looking much leaner than most people year round, but I'd like to get into the 7-8% range and it would be awesome if I could maintain that.

My reason for eating primally is optimal health. Even though I was never overweight eating junk food, I do feel soooo much better eating primally.

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

That's my reason for switching to PB, health starts with what and how you eat and exercise.

But my point is that all these different people have different reactions/not gaining weight to the amount calories one consumes. Sure some people lose weight by cutting calories. As I understand from what SerialSinner researched, calories react differently with the kind of diet one is on such that some people are actually consuming more calories on the PB and still losing weight.

Tarlach is offline Member

Krissi> Are you female? Women have 10-12% essential bodyfat and can't go below that and be healthy.
    [quote]

a reliable source that says there can be a substantial difference in the caloric value of food between different people?
    </blockquote>

Hence the post - http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter5/5a-frame.htm

The quote I posted is in the linked article. Maybe if you actually read it, you would have noticed the second page. It wasn&#39;t exactly hidden...

And I say again - What you eat, how much and when, all affects hormone levels, which is what the study shows (and what the other posters are saying). BMR is not a fixed value. This means two people of the same mass can react quite differently to the same amount of calories from foods.

I know you can eat more calories (by raising fat) and lose more body fat, because I have done it. There are plenty of others here finding the same.

I also noticed you ignored the question:

krissi, have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes?

If you haven&#39;t, you should. It has a lot of the answers you seek.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

krisssi Guest

Again: this post never says how there&#39;s a substantial difference in the caloric content in the same amount of food between different people. Everyone knows that people with the same body mass can have different metabolism, but that&#39;s not what you said originally.

Again: this post never says that BMR is raised by cutting carbs and increasing fat, in fact it seems to suggest the opposite.

Yes, different macronutrient composition definitely does have an effect on hormone levels, but does that automatically mean that the metabolic rate is raised? No.

Btw I&#39;m male with a mesomorphic body type and quite a lot of muscle mass which I gained in the past before going primal, eating non-primal stuff.

To OP: High fat, low-carb is the way to go for weight loss and optimal health, but at the and of the day calories still DO count, calories in vs calories out determines weight lost or weight gained. A lot of people, however, lose a lot of weight on a low-carb diet eating as much as they desire as long as they keep carbs low and don&#39;t need to count calories.

That&#39;s most likely (in my opinion) due to decreased appetite and insuline (hormonal effect), not because of a raised BMR, which in my opinion, is nonsense.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

Krisssi,

Have you read"Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes? It explains why your opinions are just that and gives the citations to studies that back up the data that support what others here are saying. It&#39;s a tough read (and I have a science background) but it is well worth the time to read and synthesize the data presented.

GotPrimal Guest

Any macro-nutrient eaten in excess CAN be stored in adipose tissue. In the end, calories "do count".

Although, this is not the same as saying "calories in VS calories out"

Our bodies are alot more complicated than that, as we all know.

krisssi Guest

I haven&#39;t read the book but I probably will soon.

I know that it&#39;s not just about calories, it does matter if the calories come from carbs or fat.

Somebody suggested that the same piece of food varies significantly in caloric content between different people. Then he suggested that cutting carb and raising fat would increase a person&#39;s BMR.

I have seen no explanation for neither. A raised BMR would probably indicate higher levels of thyroid hormones. Can anyone post a study that says low-carb or ketogenic diet increase thyroid hormones or increase metabolic rate by some other mechanism? If I&#39;ll see that study I&#39;ll very likely change my opinion, but you haven&#39;t showed it to me.

Again: I believe the weight loss benefits are more related to decreased appetite and insulin, which is pretty much common knowledge in the "low-carb community".

lbd

According to this study, it appears as if the key is high protein and not high fat. This study looks at DIT (explained in the article) instead of BMR. Looks as if some alcohol doesn&#39;t hurt, either

So maybe it isn&#39;t cutting carbs and raising fat as much as cutting carbs and raising protein that raises BMR?

lbd

lbd

Here&#39;s another suggesting protein raises BMR: http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/?request=get-document&issn=1080-6032&volume=014&issue=03&page=0191

Not to mention it is just an interesting article about korean diving women.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast