Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curing Hypothyroidism page

perennialpam is online now Senior Member

Curing Hypothyroidism

Is this a possibility using PB Nutrition? It would be nice to get off meds.

Thanks for any suggestions.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    My meds have decreased fairly steadily since starting primal, but it is hard for me to know if this is related to weight or to underlying healing. I have been one of these people who have tended to yoyo in the level of med I have needed, so having a continual decrease is good. I have gone from 50mg cytomel (T3) down to 36.25 mg per day, and I am due for another blood test in another couple of weeks. I am feeling like I have stabilized, and if I have that is ok with me. Needing to take no meds would be great, but even getting to the point where the meds I need are stable would be wonderful. I have the sense that if it is possible, it may take a long time, and probably depends on if there was permanent damage done.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Hunt3R is offline Member
    You should the read the articles about hypothyroidism on the Perfect Health Diet website. Here's a link to all of them: Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend reading the book "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal" by Datis Kharrazian. It covers all 6 types of hypothyroid patterns (and 22 sub patterns), which most docs are clueless about. It's very eye-opening!
    Primal is def. a huge step in the right direction, but, honestly, you need to see a functional health practitioner to know which tests to give you and how to properly interpret them. Your hypothyroidism also may have an autoimmune component.
    I didn't make any thyroid headway being Primal until I saw a functional doc who diagnosed me with Hashimoto's and got my immune system balanced, as well as worked on my neurotransmitters and adrenals. I still have room for improvement, but I'm finally a functioning person again!

Chris Kresser (The Healthy Skeptic) would be an excellent person to do a consult with: http://chriskresser.com/

donal is offline Junior Member
    "Hypothyroidism is the disease state in humans and animals caused by insufficient production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland. Cretinism is a form of hypothyroidism found in infants.

There are several distinct causes for chronic hypothyroidism. Historically, and still in many developing countries, iodine deficiency is the most common cause of hypothyroidism worldwide. In present day developed countries, however, hypothyroidism is mostly caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis, or by a lack of the thyroid gland or a deficiency of hormones from either the hypothalamus or the pituitary.

Hypothyroidism can result from postpartum thyroiditis, a condition that affects about 5% of all women within a year after giving birth. The first phase is typically hyperthyroidism. Then, the thyroid either returns to normal or a woman develops hypothyroidism. Of those women who experience hypothyroidism associated with postpartum thyroiditis, one in five will develop permanent hypothyroidism requiring life-long treatment.

Preppy Paleo is offline Junior Member
    I am one of the 5% who experienced postpartum thyroid issues. I see a natural/conventional doctor who has me on Armour Thyroid as opposed to Synthroid. I feel better at least knowing it's less synthetic (comes from dessicated pig thyroid). It's true thyroid issues usually accompany other autoimmune problems. I experience Raynaud's syndrome, mild psoriasis and adrenal fatigue. I have to say since going Primal that everything has leveled off a bit. My skin and energy are better, and I'm curious to see what my next blood test reveals. I don't expect to ever be rid of my hypothyroid but I do feel this lifestyle is helping me manage it.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If you're hypothyroid, you aren't taking 'meds,' your Rx is actually thyroid hormones, replaces those your thyroid is not producing. Unless your hypo is caused by some temporary bodily disturbance (rare), no dietary adjustments will 'cure' you. Once you begin hormonal replacement, it is almost always for life because your body adjusts to the incoming hormones.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    My medication (cytomel - T3) has gone down pretty much every month since I started primal. I was at 50mcg in March, and just reduced down to 35mcg this last week. This doesn't necessarily mean that my dosage will continue to drop, but in my experience, it certainly has so far. So although in many cases, as Emmie mentioned, you will need medication for life, you may end up being able to be on less medication, or if you are not starting with much meds to begin with, it is possible that you may be able to get off of it. Even if not, primal should help your body stop the autoimmune process that was damaging your thyroid to begin with, so your dosage should hopefully not increase in the future.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

otzi Guest
    So glad to see this thread! I have great news to report.

Background: Male, 46, weight 240 (2006), 175 (now). Eating primal since Jan 2011.

I was put on Synthroid in 2005 due to a TSH of 35 (normal range .33-4.82). Doc said it would be for life. They played with the dose for 2 years, settling in on .15mcg, a pretty high dosage. Over the next few years, I continued to gain weight, was diagnosed with sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, gout, and pre-diabetic. I followed doctors orders to the T. Took meds for high bp, high trigs, hypothyroid, and gout. Then they wanted to start me on diabetes medicine in 2008.

That was the last straw, I was only 43! I started dieting hard (low fat, cardio) lost a few pounds--put it back on. Yo-yo'd from 230 to 200 but couldn't break 200. In January 2011, I found Primal Blueprint; cut out all sugar, grain, limited fruits--all that. Got to 95% PB eating by March or so and was doing PB Fitness bodyweight exercises and walking a lot. By May, I was down to 185 and hadn't had gout in several months. I quit taking all my meds except Synthroid. Labwork showed everything well in the normal range. Triglycerides were 33! TSH was .99.

I asked the doc about stopping the Synthroid. He said, "No way! That's the only reason you are getting better". I saw some things Dr. Kruse (AKA Digital Surgean, AKA The Quilt) was saying and decided to get myself off the Sytnthroid. In June, I started cutting my pills in half. Got tested and TSH was .55 (normal .33 - 4.82). Doc once again made mention of how well my Synthroid was working for me. On Aug 15th, I stopped taking Synthroid completely. I retested yesterday and my TSH is 2.56! So, I guess the doctor was wrong and Dr. Kruse was right.

I can't recommend this to everyone, but it worked for me.

Later!
    Last edited by otzi; 09-09-2011 at 11:18 AM.

nicoleah is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am no longer on Synthroid, either. I don't recall what I tested at last a few months ago but I was no longer hypothyroid compared to a little over a year ago. I'm due for blood work again (still testing every 3-6 months since my doctor isn't convinced my normal numbers and A1C are going to stay that way.) I was taking that on top of plenty of Januvia & Metformin for type 2 diabetes, now I'm completely med-free. I believe my hypothyroid issues were in direct connection with my pancreatic issues but whatever the cause, Primal living is working for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast