Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curing Hypothyroidism page 2

fondalashay is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I asked the doc about stopping the Synthroid. He said, "No way! That's the only reason you are getting better". I saw some things Dr. Kruse (AKA Digital Surgean, AKA The Quilt) was saying and decided to get myself off the Sytnthroid. In June, I started cutting my pills in half. Got tested and TSH was .55 (normal .33 - 4.82). Doc once again made mention of how well my Synthroid was working for me. On Aug 15th, I stopped taking Synthroid completely. I retested yesterday and my TSH is 2.56! So, I guess the doctor was wrong and Dr. Kruse was right.
    I cant recall my numbers. but they we just barley off. I was also put on Synthiroid before last christmas. My doc told me that there were no side effects. But when I questioned him he said it could weaken my bones. I took the meds from before christmas 2010 till around may religiously. I did have abit more energy at times, but that can not be directly linked to the meds - more than likely that I finally got a job and left the house everyday after 2 years. I decided I had to come off it. My heart was racing when I took it and I just could not handle the idea of a chemical going into my body.

I started reading about WAPF and GAPS back in april/may and decided to clean up my fairly clean eating. Then I learned about Paleo around June. I have since been on at about 85-90% (I have some dairy and beer on the weekeneds). I have lost 12 pounds and have great energy since June without the synthroid. I am going in for my test soon.. I am very interested to see what my numbers say.

I am currently on the Dr. Kruse Leptin Reset.. I am excited to see how it pans out!

perennialpam is online now Senior Member

Thank you, all, for repies

Hello all:

Thanks to each and every one of you for sharing your personal information.

All replies have assisted me in keeping my hope alive of getting off the medication.

For those of you who will be tested shortly, please remember to get back on and inform us all of your progress, if any.

Again, thank you,
    Pam

luvasteak is offline Junior Member
    Hi Pam - I am hypothyroid and have just started primal eating three weeks ago.
    I am on T4 and T3 and I am due to get another blood test done soon, however I certainly have felt that the T3 was working "extra well" since I started this.
    How have you gone? Have you stayed the same or cut down?

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    I was on Armour thyroid for years and no longer take it. My FT's were never out of range but very low in the range. The doctor was attempting to get me "optimized". Well she succeeded in getting my lab values to change but I never felt good. Long story short, I believe this was a big contributing factor to the subsequent Adrenal Fatigue I experienced years later and am still recovering from. Was primal eating responsible for the reduction and stopping of thryoid meds? For me, partly. A big part for me, was finding a doctor who did the right tests and addressed the adrenal function which led to a reduction and finally getting off the thyroid. I do believe Primal improves overall health as well as supports a healthy functioning endocrine system which for many who are hypoT this is enough to heal the thyroid and reduce Rx needs.
    Last edited by Vanessa120; 10-08-2011 at 05:04 AM.

UpErMei is offline Member
    I can't even tell you how encouraged I am by this thread! The thought of being "okay" one day is a dream!

I am on...
    Synthroid/Cytomel combo for hypothyroidism
    Yaz bcp, Metformin, and Spironolactone for PCOS
    Celexa for anxiety&depression

Yeah, a boatload of meds for a 39 yo woman.

Could strictly adhering to a primal lifestyle free me of these ailments?? Gosh, I feel like I'd do anything to be free and normal again.

I feel like such a dork. I found this thread through a board search, but failed to realize how old it was! Sorry!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    If you're hypothyroid, you aren't taking 'meds,' your Rx is actually thyroid hormones, replaces those your thyroid is not producing. Unless your hypo is caused by some temporary bodily disturbance (rare), no dietary adjustments will 'cure' you. Once you begin hormonal replacement, it is almost always for life because your body adjusts to the incoming hormones.
    Not true.

Recovery of Pituitary Thyrotropic Function after Withdrawal of Prolonged Thyroid-Suppression Therapy, Apostolos G. Vagenakis, M.D, N Engl J Med 1975; 293:681-684October 2, 1975
    Recovery of Pituitary Thyrotropic Function after Withdrawal of Prolonged Thyroid-Suppression Therapy

Detectable values of serum thyrotropin ( <1.2 μU per milliliter) and a normal 131I uptake usually occurred concurrently in two to three weeks. Serum thyroxine concentration returned to normal at least four weeks after hormone withdrawal.

Also...

Patterns of Recovery of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Thyroid Axis in Patients Taken off Chronic Thyroid Therapy, LAWRENCE G. KRUGMAN, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 41, No. 1 70-80, 1975

Patterns of Recovery of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Thyroid Axis in Patients Taken off Chronic Thyroid Therapy

In euthyroid non-goitrous patients, the mean duration of suppressed TSH response to TRH (maximum TSH < 8 U/ml) was 12 4 (SE) days after stopping thyroid hormone and the mean time to recovery of normal TSH response to TRH (maximum TSH > 8 U/ml) was 16 5 days. None of the euthyroid nongoitrous patients ever hyperresponded to TRH; normal at least four weeks after hormone withdrawal.

Also you can look at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6806430 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1418111/
    Last edited by ryanmercer; 10-30-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

This seems almost too good to be true! So, it is possible to heal your body through drastic diet and lifestyle changes?? You don't know the hope this gives me!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by UpErMei View Post
    This seems almost too good to be true! So, it is possible to heal your body through drastic diet and lifestyle changes?? You don't know the hope this gives me!
    I'm still here! I think managing hypo-T depends mostly on if it's an auto-immune problem or a lifestyle problem. If you ask me, your main issues (hypothyroidism, PCOS, anxiety & depression) all point toward a 'leaky gut'. Work on getting your diet rock solid with enough carbs to fuel you, and avoid processed sugars, oils, and wheat like the plague! Eat lots of fermented foods, take a couple different probiotics, and a couple prebiotics. Even if this isn't your problem, it takes a huge chunk out of the equation--I know for me that getting my gut right was a huge step in the right direction.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay Otzi, I will def look into this!

I actually ferment my own kefir, so the probiotic part shouldn't be too hard.

TY, I sincerely appreciate it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast