Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Saturated fats over polyunsaturated and monosaturated page

berger6696 is offline Member

Why Saturated fats over polyunsaturated and monosaturated

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have links to studies that explain why saturated fats are superior to PUFAs and MUFAs?

Thanks.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Search the main site for Mark's take on PUFAs and on saturated fat. He does a good job explaining it. PUFAs, particularly are an issue since they lead to inflammation and therefore illness.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

I read all of those. Was hoping for some external sources. My wife (chemistry/biology teacher) is questioning this. She's sick of me only referencing one source.

I found all of those. But I'm interested in something from outside sources.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    outside what? we are a niche revolution outside is wher the monsters of CW live
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Hunt3R is offline Member
    You can get some good info from articles on the Perfect Health Diet website and all are cited with references to peer-reviewed studies on pubmed.gov. The book also has a ton of info about PUFA vs MUFA vs SAFA.

They have a good 2-part series on omega-3 toxicity: Omega-3 Fats, Angiogenesis, and Cancer: Part I | Perfect Health Diet

Why combining alcohol and PUFA's may be dangerous: Alcohol | Perfect Health Diet

And a quick article about some recent studies vindicating saturated fat: Saturated And Monounsaturated Fat | Perfect Health Diet

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    They're shorter chain so they're more easily converted into energy and therefore less likely to be stored as fat than other types of dietary fat. Look into medium-chain triglycerides for more evidence.

They make up half of your cell membrane, so they promote a strong cell structure. A diet high in polyunsaturated fats, even omega 3's, make your cell membranes liquid, weak and easily permeable. This is why I take the stance than PUFA oils are worse than grain. We Americans ate more grain 100 years ago than we do today, yet we weren't fat and riddled with cancer and heart disease until a few decades ago. What changed? Vegetable/seed PUFA oils were approved for food use after WWII. This, paired with the sudden drop in saturated fat intake from the "fat scare" that began in the 70's, weakened our cell membranes and made us more susceptible to the grain toxins, hence the sudden change in obesity and disease rates. In short, a diet high in saturated fats and low in polyunsaturated fats protects your cells and DNA from damage by keeping the membrane rigid and strong. - MY THEORY

SFA's are also the least likely to oxidize from light, heat or air. In short, saturated fats are the least likely to go rancid, so a diet high in saturated fats is the least likely to promote oxidation throughout the body and protects against damage from free radicals.

SFA's boost testosterone. High saturated fat diet + heavy weights = stronger and leaner with a raging libido.

SFA's = better looks, better health, better sex. What more is there to say?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-26-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berger6696 View Post
    Does anyone have links to studies that explain why saturated fats are superior to PUFAs and MUFAs?
    How does your own body store fat?

The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG
    You might ask yourself if it makes sense that natural selection would select us to store energy in the form of something directly harmful to us. If saturated fat is really so terrible, and polyunsaturated fat is really so healthy, why doesn’t our body store energy as linoleic acid, like grains do?
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...avoidance.html

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berger6696 View Post
    I read all of those. Was hoping for some external sources. My wife (chemistry/biology teacher) is questioning this. She's sick of me only referencing one source.
    You may want to look at the links within the articles. Mark tends to link back to his source material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast