Thread: Newbie one week in and VERY tired page

aimeep is offline Member

Newbie one week in and VERY tired

Hi Everyone,
    I am one week into Primal and to be honest I am not feeling great. All week I have been very tired and lethargic, and now I am starting to feel a bit dizzy and hot. I also have a rash on my stomach which I get if I am stressed or run down. I initially thought I was not eating enough, but I think my portions are pretty big. I am finding it super hard to concentrate in work!

I have read about carb flu on the forum but I ate very little carbs before anyway. I eat a little dairy and would hate to have to cut it out completely.

On a happier note, I am so chuffed to have come across Primal, I feel like I have been searching for the right diet/lifestyle for awhile now and I am boring all my family and friends with a new "fad" every week! This one is right for me so i really want to make it work.

Any advice is really welcome!
    Aimee

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Aimee. Sorry you aren't feeling well. You say you didn't eat many carbs before. What changes have you made? What are you eating? Could it be you have something else besides a reaction to Primal?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

aimeep is offline Member
    Hey

Thanks for replying.
    I have cut out all grains completely and added more fat. I used to eat a little brown rice or quinoa a few times a week. I also have cut back the sugar completely, I used to have a lot of agave. I though I ate very little carbs, but I suppose when I look at it I ate more than I realised, even if they were always wholegrain and never processed. It must make a difference!

I was thinking maybe I need to add some supplements. I currently try and take fish oil capsules, but they taste fishy and are a bit gross!

Thanks
    A

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Over at gnolls.org, J. Stanton has a great article on why some people develop the low carb flu. I would rest as much as you possibly can to assist your body. Also try upping your intake of white rice, sweet potatoes, and some fruit to allow your body to adjust at its own rate. Agave has a high concentration of fructose, so your reaction may be your body flushing out and resetting itself.

Hang in there!

aimeep is offline Member
    Thanks Unicorn and Hedonist! I dont know anyone who follows Primal so it is great to bounce ideas off here! thanks

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Even "occasional" servings of the grains and sugars you listed can add up to a lot. I'm was pretty serious into them before PB and I know that one can knock down 500 calories of sugar or 1000 calories of grain/rice and not even realize it. I think you were consuming more than you thought.

As a result, cutting them out has dropped your caloric consumption a lot and you may not have replaced those calories with other food -- this happened to me. It's one thing to ask your body to "give up" grains and sugar --which many people liken to an addiction -- I know it wasn't easy for me and something that took the better part of 6 months to fully accomplish. But, it's asking even more if you are piling a big caloric deficit on top of that.

Yes, calories matter (to some extent) and yes, if weight loss is one of your goals you may need to look into adjusting your intake to make that happen, but the getting off grains (inflammatory, toxic, fun stuff) and the reduction of sugars (hello spiked insulin...hello fat storage...) is so important for so many other reasons that I think it's ok to only focus on that first. Let you body have as much PB type food as it wants as you work your way off grains and sugars.

If you're tired, it's possible that your body is telling you that it just needs more food! Hey, this IS tough stuff, so give yourself and your body all the help you can!

Once I completely broke free of the grains and sugars, I actually noticed my appetite shifting down as it got used to the new diet.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Go ahead and list every exact thing you are eating. No way to even guess why you might be tired if we don't know what you're putting into your body. Did you read the book?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimeep View Post
    I was thinking maybe I need to add some supplements. I currently try and take fish oil capsules, but they taste fishy and are a bit gross!
    Unless you spend a lot of time in the sun without sunscreen, you probably need vitamin D3. Ideally get tested to see where you are. Up to 4000 IU/day is considered safe. (Actually, far more than that is probably safe.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

rki
    rki is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Over at gnolls.org, J. Stanton has a great article on why some people develop the low carb flu.
    Thank you for point that out! A very very good article.