Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis - Low calories/Feeling tired page

Primal Bill Guest

Ketosis - Low calories/Feeling tired

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been eating strictly PB for about 7 weeks, keeping carbs on average at 75 grams per day. My goal is to reduce body fat while maintaining muscle (and eventually getting a six pack). I'm almost 100% certain i've been in ketosis for the last few weeks.

On monday i fasted the entire day (for the first time) while performing 30 mins of cardio. On both tues and wed i ate about 1500 calories per day.

On thursday, and today, i'm exhausted and feel completely tired and useless.

So my question comes down to - if you're in ketosis AND eat low calories for a few days, shouldn't your body respond by burning more stored body fat to keep energy levels up and make up for the calorie deficit? Why do i feel soooo tired?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Your body is replacing glycogen stores and trying to heal from those workouts. Extra calories (and maybe a few extra carbs) would not be a bad thing.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you need a carb re-feed. 1 sweet potato. Stat!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Primal Bill Guest
    Here's where i'm confused - if i'm already in ketosis - why is my body spending so much energy to replenish glycogen stores? Why is that the reason i feel so tired?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Gluconeogenesis (creation of sugar) is stressful for the body. Low-calorie diets are stressful for the body. Any kind of exercise is stressful for the body. I'm sure those aren't the only stresses going around either, and your body is responding to this high-stress situation by stepping on the brakes.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    are you absolutely sure you are/were in ketosis? the only real way to know is by testing.

75 grams of carbs is an aweful lot of carbs. in my experience 50 grams a day is pretty much the cut off point and anything more will knock you out rather quickly. it also takes, again in my experience at least 48 hours to get back into ketosis.

if you were not in ketosis and then you all of a sudden are, because of your fast and lowered calories for those couple days, its quite possible the tiredness you are feeling is what is commonly refered to as carb flu
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

livinlite is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Michael Eades just did a blog post (two actually) on exactly what you are experiencing.

Google it.

1) why are you restricting calories?
    2) why so many carbs?

Seriously though...get more fat in there and eat dammit! You have to repair your systems. Your body needs to learn how to live off protein and fat. If you're starving it at the same time, you're writing a recipe for serious disaster. I know it's counterintuitive...but you've got to eat...probably more than you think you should. Coconut oil, butter, fatty beef. Get some.

Maybe cruise the Leptin Reset thread too...

Primal Bill Guest
    The last time i felt like this was 1-2 weeks into first eating according to the PB. If i went in, then out, and back into ketosis - would i get the same symptoms as the first time? Do you feel lethargic every time you switch from non-ketosis to ketosis?

Primal Bill Guest
    I'm trying to accelerate fat loss - but honestly - i feel full on 1500 calories. Even now i feel very tired, but NOT hungry. I didn't intend on eating low calorie - it kinda just happened.

Primal Bill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by livinlite View Post
    Dr. Michael Eades just did a blog post (two actually) on exactly what you are experiencing.

Maybe cruise the Leptin Reset thread too...
    The fact that i'm not hungry, only tired makes me think its not a leptin issue. The only problem i'm having is feelign tired, none of the other symptoms of low leptin levels

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast