Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information overload! page

Valentinebaby is offline Junior Member

Information overload!

Arghhhh I am suffering from information overload!

You read on thread it says 'snacks are good to maintain level blood sugar etc etc'

Then you read another one saying 'snacks are bad..... fasting is good'

This is just an example but there is just sooo much information, some of which is contradictory I am starting to struggle to know whats what!

Got the book on order so hopefully that will help!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The book will help, honestly, just pay attention to the book.

Always keep in mind that not everybody reacts the same way to something. For some of us, eating twice a day (daily fasting) works wonderfully, we eat the right portions, we don't suffer from hunger and we can support our daily activities. For others, it's hell, so for them a breakfast-lunch-dinner approach is better. Others are more active physically, so they want (sometimes need) to snack in order to get more energy in during the day.

Focus on you, experiment and see what approach is best.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Many of us like Kurt Harris' Archevore "Getting Started" as a no nonsenses introduction. Harris is not exactly primal but very close.

As iniQuity wrote, people have different needs. You need to see what works for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I suggest that you start with the basics, unless you are doing so already:
    - cleaning up your diet from grains, legumes, dairy and processed foods.
    - introduce yourselves to lifting heavy and walking

As for the rest keep it as close as you can to what you are doing now & what you are naturally inclined to do. Once you are comfortable with the basics, you can start experimenting with different eating schedules, exact carb:fat ratios, specific workout routines, etc. That will keep things fresh and you will learn a lot about yourself.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps even more basic:

Eat real foods. If it's not a single ingredient food -- something like "chicken" or "eggs" or "spinach" -- then try to follow the "5 rule": Nothing with more than 5 ingredients or any ingredient that you need a bio-chem degree to read. Avoid "crap in a box" as I like to refer to it.

Get good at that and then work on removing the grains and sugars and so forth -- although removing the "crap in a box" gets rid of a lot of that already.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    The best distillation of the REAL deal, cutting out the bullshit and contradictory stuff and the various extra complications:

All imo, too btw. Diet is like religion these days. You're free to practice whatever is best for you.

1)Calories count. Figure out your BMR and then set your calorie goals. If you want to lose weight, if you want to gain weight, if you want to maintain weight. Just get that number right.

2)The stuff that's REALLY bad for you is:
    -refined sugar and refined grains.
    -processed shit frankenfoods.
    -PUFA fats.
    Avoid that stuff. It's not worth it for the damage it does.

3)The stuff that could be bad for you, but is less certain:
    -soy
    -dairy
    -grains in general
    -legumes in general
    -some people say saturated fats.
    -caffeine
    -alcohol
    No consensus on this. Figure out whether these things bother you or not. Personally, they'll pry my coffee out of my cold dead hands.

4)The stuff that we're pretty sure is good for you:
    -dense protein like meat, fish, eggs etc
    -fresh vegetables, especially the fiberous greens. But veg in general.
    -fresh fruit
    -Omega 3s like olive oil, marine oils and fatty fish, avocados, olives, flaxseeds.
    -lots of water.

5)What your dietary priorities should be to be healthy:
    -80-90% of your diet should be good stuff. It's okay to have crap for the 20-10%. Michelle Obama eats corndogs or ice cream occasionally, and she's one very fit and healthy lady.
    -Make sure you get enough protein for your body. A good rule of thumb is 1g x your goal weight.
    -Fat is good, but you don't necessarily need to totally cut it out or have as much as the lower carb diets suggest. 20-30% of your calories from fat is pretty okay. You can go up to 50% if you want.
    -Carbs are not evil. But your carb priorities should be: fresh fiberous veg-fresh fruit-starchy fresh veg-whole grains. And at the absolute bottom, processed refined crapola.

6)Eating every 4-6hrs is only a good idea if you're on a higher carb diet. Carbs mean you have to eat constantly. If you're on a higher fat-lower carb regime, you can fast easily for much longer. But I think in the end, this is a lifestyle issue. As long as you're 80% good stuff and your calories are in line, you'll be fine. Eat when you want to.

7)Exercise is good for you. Killing yourself with high impact cardio is not necessary. Fresh air and sunlight are good for a lot of reasons. Lifting is a pretty good idea for everyone, though you sure don't have to kill yourself on an intense regiment there, either. Any kind of exercise is better than no exercise. The most important thing is to do something you enjoy.

8)Happiness matters. Unhappy people don't stick to their diets.. because duh, their diet isn't something they like. Pick a diet you like. Suffering and being deprived and miserable is not necessary or productive to being healthy.

9)Ignore the shit in the newspaper.
    Most of these studies are wildly spun by the media. It's noise. Ignore it. If you really want to know, look up the actual study.

10)Sleep. Don't think that 'oh, I only need 4hrs.' Yeah, the amount of people who don't need 7-8hrs are less than 0.01% of the population. But I think people can get away with it more while in their teens and twenties. I did all kinds of stupid all-nighters when I was 21. But I stopped being able to do that by the time I hit 30. Now, if I don't get my 7hrs at least, I feel tired, cranky as hell, fog-brained and out of joint with my meals all day. Sleep is essential. It's hard to work out well with insufficient sleep, too.

That's about it.
    Last edited by CandylandCanary; 08-27-2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    +100
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Calories count. But carbs count more. Like Mark said in PB, it really is all about the insulin.

If you are getting too many carbs and running at a caloric deficit, you will starve your cells, be tired, won't WANT to move or exercise, deplete your lean mass, and STILL gain (or at best not lose) fat.

Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. I just finished it and I lost count on the number of insights it provided that made things that have happened with me over the years make complete sense. 90% of the diet part of PB is basically concepts from GCBC distilled into simplified, bite size pieces. Having what Mark says in 2 sentences laid out over a chapter with history of both the experiments and the clinical treatments used over the years was so much more enlightening.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-27-2011 at 10:03 AM.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I'd add: get good quality sleep.

It's major.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd add: get good quality sleep.

It's major.
    Yep.

Without sleep, one's mood and appetite both go out of whack. Sleep = good.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast